- Created on Sunday, 05 May 2013 10:44
Tee times were pushed to early Sunday, with threesomes teeing off both nines, due to the threat of inclement weather striking the Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte, N.C.
Phil Mickelson started the day as co-leader with Nick Watney, with George McNeill third and Rory McIlroy in the hunt as well.
We'll keep you up to date on everything happening on a cloudy and wet day at Quail Hollow Club – and scroll down for our earlier coverage too.
• • •
Update No. 9: 11:53 a.m. EDT
Ryan Moore also moves to 7 under with a birdie at the par-5 10th. He's one back of leader Phil Mickelson, who parred the 10th – and tied with Lee Westwood, bogeyed the 12th to fall from the lead. Charles Howell III pars the 16th to stay at 7 under and Robert Karlsson does the same at the 10th.
• • •
Update No. 8: 11:46 a.m. EDT
Charles Howell III moves within a shot of the co-leaders at 7 under with birdies at the 13th and 15th. He's got a good chance to surpass leader-in-the-clubhouse Kyle Stanley (who shot 68 today), standing two shots ahead with three holes to play – though Quail Hollow's closing holes are known for being tough, nicknamed the "Green Mile."
• • •
Update No. 7: 11:39 a.m. EDT
Rory McIlroy slides with a double bogey at the par-4 12th and a bogey at the par-3 13th, where he missed the green and couldn't get up and down. He falls to 4 under, four back of the lead, and will need to gain strokes on Quail Hollow's difficult closing holes.
• • •
Update No. 6: 11:22 a.m. EDT
Lee Westwood moves into a tie for the lead with a birdie at the par-5 10th, tying Phil Mickelson at 8 under.
Mickelson scrambles at the par-4 9th, missing the fairway and needing three to get on the green – but wedging to two feet and making the short putt for par.
• • •
Update No. 5: 11:07 a.m. EDT
Robert Karlsson joins the T-2 fray at 7 under as well, wedging it close and sinking a birdie putt at the short par-4 8th. Lee Westwood pars the 9th, missing the green but getting up and down for the save to stay in the T-2 mix. David Lynn bogeys the par-4 9th, missing the green and failing to get up and down, to drop to six under. Nick Watney bogeys the 8th to also drop to 6 under.
• • •
Update No. 4: 10:53 a.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson remains in the lead as he and playing partner Nick Watney par the par-5 7th hole. Rory McIlroy pars the 10th, his third par in a row.
To the southeast, the final round of the Web.com Tour's Stadion Classic in Athens, Ga., has been rained out. Brendon Todd – a Georgia grad and the 54-hole leader – is named the winner, the third consecutive former Bulldog to win.
• • •
Update No. 3: 10:44 a.m. EDT
David Lynn moves into the tie for second at 7 under, with back-to-back birdies at the 7th and 8th. He's 1 under today.
• • •
Update No. 2: 10:35 a.m. EDT
Rory McIlroy is 2 under today, after starting with a bogey on the 1st hole then scattering birdies at the 3rd, 4th and 7th. He carded back-to-back pars before making the turn.
• • •
Update No. 1: 10:31 a.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson is your leader by a shot, even today through six holes to stay ahead of Rory McIlroy, Nick Watney and Lee Westwood. Mickelson had bogeyed the 3rd hole to fall from the lead, but moved back into a share with a birdie at the 5th and took the lead outright when Watney bogeyed the 6th.
• • •
Kyle Stanley is 4 under through 14 holes, getting to 13th place at 5 under. Charles Howell III and Luke List are 3 under through 11, with Howell T-5 at 6 under and List T-19 at 2 under.
• • •
Steve Marino and Luke Guthrie are 5 over today – but perhaps most notable is George McNeill, who started the day in third place a shot back of the lead and is 4 over through six holes to fall to T-16 at 3 under.
• • •
With serious chance of rain this afternoon, showers have begun to approach Charlotte from the south. According to weather.com, the rain chance increases each hour today; the heaviest rainfall in the region as of 10:20 a.m. EDT was a little more than an hour away over Spartanburg.
• • •
Co-leaders Phil Mickelson and Nick Watney will try to stay ahead of all challengers – and the rain. Plus, why George McNeill got rattled late, and more.
Rory McIlroy surely has had better birthdays. It’s not just that he made a double bogey and three bogeys in a sloppy 73 in the Wells Fargo Championship third round. His overcast day was darkened by the instrument known as the flat stick.
See how events unfolded – with several players making early runs and giving strokes back late – as Phil Mickelson and Nick Watney emerged from the third round with the lead in Charlotte.
• • •
Phil Mickelson has finished in the top 10 in six of his nine tries at Quail Hollow Club. Also: Sergio Garcia eludes a penalty after a call-in from a TV viewer; Lee Westwood charges to T-5 despite playing through an illness.
Rod Pampling barely missed getting into the Wells Fargo Championship via Monday qualifying, finding himself the 10th alternate and heading to Georgia instead – until several withdrawals had him checking out of his other hotel and hitting the road. He has taken advantage with two strong rounds.
2010 Wells Fargo champ and Thursday co-leader Rory McIlroy slipped a bit off the pace with a 71 Friday, but his confidence remains high thanks to a recent swing tweak.
Phil Mickelson held the lead midway through his second round, fell into a tie, then pulled away for a two-stroke lead he wouldn't relinquish Friday.
Phil Mickelson will bring up the rear Saturday, while some power pairings include Rory McIlroy with Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia with Jordan Spieth.
• • •
Rory McIlroy shot 5-under 67 on Thursday at the Wells Fargo Championship. The 2010 champion of the event enters the second round in a seven-way tie for the lead. See how it all unfolded at Quail Hollow!
Rory McIlroy hasn’t played a competitive round since the Masters, but opened with a 7-under 65 to share the first-round lead with six others. Here are 5 Things to Know about the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship.
Padraig Harrington – who has stated his support for the R&A proposed ban on anchoring putting strokes – put one to use Thursday at Quail Hollow Club for the first time as a pro.
• • •
Rory McIlroy, asked what's changed since he won in Charlotte in 2010, says he's in better shape than he was then. Plus: A check on Quail Hollow's greens, revisiting the least-known member of last year's playoff here, and more.
Webb Simpson is among the big names in this week's Fantasy Tip Sheet and list of predictions.
Vijay Singh, cleared by the PGA Tour in his deer antler spray performance-enhancing substance admission, withdraws from this week's Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte, N.C., citing injury.
The site of the Wells Fargo Championship, one of the premier stops on the PGA Tour, underwent emergency maintenance as two greens at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, N.C., were completely re-sodded.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- Cops arrest teen for hack and leak of DHS, FBI data
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Fox News Reporting: Voter Revolt
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in murder-suicide at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50