- Created on Friday, 15 February 2013 04:22
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP)
Oscar Pistorius held his head in his hands and wept openly in court Friday as prosecutors said they would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against the Paralympic superstar.
MEDAL TO MURDER?
- Pistorius weeps in first court appearance
- Pistorius statement disputes charge
- Pistorius charged in girlfriend's murder
- Couch: From thriller to killer?
- Many in disbelief over news
- VIDEO: Police on shooting death
- Pistorius lived out dream in London
- Steenkamp a model, law school grad
- Pistorius put faith in guns?
- Profile: Oscar Pistorius
Pistorius was formally charged at Pretoria Magistrate's Court with one count of murder after his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, a model and budding reality TV show contestant. The 30-year-old was shot multiple times and died at Pistorius' upmarket home early Thursday morning.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said Friday in court it was premeditated murder, indicating the prosecution would file that more serious charge, upgraded from murder.
The double-amputee athlete's arrest and murder charge had already left South Africa stunned after Steenkamp's death on Valentine's Day at Pistorius' house in a gated community in an eastern suburb of South Africa's capital, Pretoria.
Following the hearing, Pistorius' family and his London management company issued a statement calling into question the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete faces.
''The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms,'' the statement read. The statement did not elaborate.
The statement also said Pistorius wanted to ''send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.''
''He would also like to express his thanks through us today for all the messages of support he has received - but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family - regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy,'' the statement read.
Those who knew Pistorius, including a former girlfriend, also weighed in on social media.
Trish Taylor, mother of Pistorius' ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor, wrote on Facebook: ''I'm so glad Sammy is safe and out of the clutches of that man.''
But another ex-girlfriend, Jenna Edkins, defended Pistorius in messages Friday on Twitter.
''All I am saying is let him speak, let his side be heard without jumping to conclusions,'' Edkins wrote. She offered ''love and support'' to the Pistorius family and wrote: ''I have dated Oscar on and off for 5 YEARS, NOT ONCE has he EVER lifted a finger to me or made me fear for my life.''
Prosecutors said Friday that they would argue the history-making Olympic athlete - the first amputee to run at the games - had planned Steenkamp's killing. It sent South Africans reeling further as their national hero, and a global role model in overcoming adversity, was set to face accusations that he intentionally gunned down his girlfriend.
South Africa's tabloid Citizen newspaper had the headline ''Blade gunner?'' Friday morning, playing on double-amputee athlete Pistorius' well-known nickname of ''Blade Runner'' because of his carbon fiber running blades.
Pistorius stood with his face in his hands as he broke down in tears on his first appearance at the Pretoria Magistrates' Court. Chief Magistrate Desmond Nasir delayed Pistorius' bail hearing until next Tuesday and Wednesday and ruled that Pistorius would be held at a police station in Pretoria until then. Police have said they oppose the granting of bail.
A solemn Pistorius entered the court wearing a gray suit and blue tie and initially appeared composed. When he broke down in tears, his brother, Carl, reached out a hand and placed it on his shoulder. Pistorius' father, Henke, was in the court and later reached over to comfort him as well.
More than 100 people packed Friday morning into Courtroom C at the Pretoria Magistrates Court, including dozens of photographers and videographers. Nasir ruled that no recordings of court proceedings would be allowed in the case.
Police said Friday investigators also conducted an autopsy on Steenkamp's body. Lt. Col. Katlego Mogale said the results of the autopsy would not be published.
Pistorius earlier left a police station, his jacket completely covering his head as he got into a police vehicle. He was holding what appeared to be a white handkerchief in one hand. He was led by officers to a police van outside the Boschkop Police Station in eastern Pretoria, where he had been questioned on Thursday and had spent the night in custody.
A policeman was also seen carrying a handgun in a plastic forensic bag outside the Boschkop station. It was believed to be the weapon used to shoot and kill Steenkamp.
Police said the victim was shot four times at Pistorius' villa in a gated community. Officers found a 9 mm pistol inside the home.
Pistorius made history at the London Olympics last year when he became the first double-amputee track athlete to compete at any games. He didn't win a medal but did make the semifinals of the 400 meters and the final of the 4X400 relay, propelling the world's best-known Paralympian to the level of an international track star and one of the world's best-known sportsmen.
But police hinted at a troubled lifestyle away from public scrutiny for the runner Thursday when they said there had previously been domestic incidents at Pistorius' home.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in shooting at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Infestation of ants removed from girl's ear
- Alyssa Milano thinks 'Charmed' reunion is 'going to happen'
- Florence Henderson talks 'tough' childhood, why she became a hypnotherapist
- Fuel van without driver strikes plane at Boston airport
- HGTV stars release country music song, video 'Hold On'
- Holy Cow! Pastor offers free prayers at coffee houses
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50