- Created on Friday, 15 February 2013 03:25
Photographs of Oscar Pistorius, some with a gray hood covering his head and others with him running in the Olympic Stadium in London, were splashed across newspaper front pages around the world Friday.
The South African double-amputee runner, the ''Blade Runner'' who inspired many by competing against able-bodied athletes at the London Games, has been charged with murdering his girlfriend. Pistorius' family and his management company issued a statement Friday disputing the charge ''in the strongest terms.''
''Pistorius: From Angel to Monster,'' headlined Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, the paper that had been one of Pistorius' biggest supporters in his bid to run in the Olympics.
Gianni Merlo, a Gazzetta journalist who helped Pistorius write his autobiography, said the runner's ''other side'' was unknown to him.
''How can Oscar, the friend who had displayed to me such joy to live, have become a killer? That's the question which is tormenting me,'' Merlo wrote.
In England, pictures of Reeva Steenkamp, the model who police say was shot and killed early Thursday morning at Pistorius' home in Pretoria, also made front pages.
''3 shots. Screams. Silence. 3 more shots,'' wrote The Sun on its front page, followed by a sub-headline reading, ''Blade Runner Pistorius `Murders Lover.'''
The Independent pictured a close-up of a hooded Pistorius on its front page with the headline, ''The Dark Side of Oscar Pistorius.''
Several papers went along that theme, reporting that Pistorius was a gun-lover who was even spooked by his own washing machine.
''Girls, guns and the dark side of the Blade Runner,'' headlined the Daily Mail on the front page beside a picture of Pistorius and Steenkamp. Inside, the paper ran the headline ''Screams, shouts ... then 4 shots.''
Spanish daily El Pais ran the headline ''World icon in hell,'' while Belgian daily Le Soir went with ''The bloodied destiny of Oscar Pistorius.''
Germany's biggest selling newspaper, Bild, headlined ''Olympic hero shoots girlfriend dead'' on the front page. Berlin tabloid BZ ran with ''Valentine's Day tragedy or murder drama? Wonder sprinter shoots girlfriend dead.''
In Japan, the Asahi ran ''Amputee runner arrested. Gunned-down body found at Mr. Pistorius' home - Mistook girlfriend as robber?''
Pistorius became a global sensation last year when he ran in the 400 meters and 4x400 relay at the London Olympics.
Despite losing the lower part of his legs when he was a baby, the South African became one of the fastest runners in the world, winning several Paralympic titles before finally reaching his goal of competing at the Olympics.
Although he didn't win an Olympic medal in London, his green-and-yellow South African track uniform and his carbon-fiber blades became an enduring image of the games.
On Tuesday, still basking in the glow of his Olympic achievement, Pistorius tweeted a photo from London of himself with eventual 400-meter gold medalist Kirani James, who asked for Pistorius' bib as a souvenir after running in the same semifinal heat.
Not every paper went big on the Pistorius shooting story, however.
French sports daily L'Equipe had only a small tease on its front page with the headline, ''Oscar Pistorius, hero and murderer.''
The full story, on Page 10, was under the headline, ''The Fall of an Icon.''
Spanish newspaper ABC took a different turn, referencing American sporting goods company Nike in one of its headlines.
''The curse of NIKE: Pistorius, the last in a line of athletes sponsored by the American brand to be tainted by scandal,'' the paper wrote while mentioning Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, Marion Jones and Kobe Bryant.
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Trump pulls off huge win, but Kasich will be the media darling
- Independents breaking for Trump in NH GOP primary, exit polls show
- Tight race for 2nd, 3rd in Republican New Hampshire primary
- Trump wins, Kasich takes 2nd in GOP New Hampshire primary, Fox News projects
- Trump, Sanders win NH primary – and the battle heads South
- Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold
- Exit polls: Late deciders breaking for Trump, Kasich in NH GOP race
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- M1 Abrams tank makes cameo in Iranian-backed terror group's video
- Hundreds of California homes, buildings used plans drafted by 2 phony engineers, say authorities
- Candace Cameron Bure is uncomfortable with foul language on ‘The View’
- Man killed by meteorite in India, say government officials
- Utah woman warns against cosmetic procedure after losing all of her eyelashes
- Top intel official confirms ISIS made, used chemical weapons
- NASA releases stunning 360-degree Mars video
- Liam Neeson admits to dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- North Korean satellite reportedly 'tumbling in orbit,' making it useless
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50