New York, NY – New York, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - The Florida Panthers will have the top overall selection in the 2014 NHL Draft, after winning the league's lottery which was held on Tuesday.
- Created on Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:23
The Buffalo Sabres entered the evening with the best odds to take the No. 1 pick, with a 25 percent chance of retaining their spot after recording the worst record in the NHL for the first time in franchise history.
However, it was the Panthers, who last won the lottery in 2003 in the second of back-to-back years, chosen to move up to first overall. Florida sported the worst record in the league last year, but ended up picking second after the Colorado Avalanche were awarded the No. 1 selection.
If the franchise elects to keep its lofty perch, that will mark the first time it will use the top-overall slot to select a player since taking defenseman Ed Jovanovski in 1994. In 2002, Florida dealt the pick to the Blue Jackets, who took forward Rick Nash, and one year later, the slot was swapped to the Penguins, who used it to snag goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.
Buffalo has been slotted in the top five seven different times in franchise history, but never with the second-overall pick.
Florida (18.8 percent) and Edmonton (14.2), the second-and-third-worst clubs by record, had the next-best odds to snag the first slot. The Oilers won the lottery in 2010 and 2012 and remained in the third spot.
In descending order, the remaining picks will be made by: Calgary, the New York Islanders, Vancouver, Carolina, Toronto, Winnipeg, Anaheim (from Ottawa), Nashville, Phoenix and Washington.
The Islanders have the option to keep that first-round pick or transfer it to the Sabres as part of the early-season deal involving forward Thomas Vanek.
The New Jersey Devils, who also missed out on the postseason, were not included in the lottery and will pick 30th no matter what due to the fallout from the Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation.
This year's NHL Entry Draft is scheduled for June 27-28 in Philadelphia, which will play host for the first time.
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- Matt Lauer asks Katie Holmes about his interview with Tom Cruise
- Mayim Bialik flashes Piers Morgan two times on TV
- Texas nanny allegedly held hostage at home, forced to work 20-hour shifts
- Washington medical director resigns, blasts fire department in outgoing letter
- American World War II veteran reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south, west
- Sanders, Trump and more. Fasten your seatbelt, America, this is gonna be one helluva ride
- Trump pulls off huge win, but Kasich will be the media darling
- Independents breaking for Trump in NH GOP primary, exit polls show
- Tight race for 2nd, 3rd in Republican New Hampshire primary
- Trump wins, Kasich takes 2nd in GOP New Hampshire primary, Fox News projects
- Trump, Sanders win NH primary – and the battle heads South
- Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold
- Exit polls: Late deciders breaking for Trump, Kasich in NH GOP race
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50