- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 22:51
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP)
Ty Lawson scored 25 points, Andre Miller had 20 points and nine assists and the Denver Nuggets beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 114-104 Tuesday night to win a 13th straight game for the first time since joining the NBA.
The Nuggets trailed by one at halftime, but took control in the third quarter and never let Oklahoma City reclaim the lead. Denver moved within 3 1/2 games of the Thunder in the Northwest Division and became the first team this season to beat Oklahoma City three times.
It's also a big win in the chase for home-court advantage in the playoffs for Denver, which is tied with Miami for the NBA's best home record at 30-3.
The Thunder gave up a season-worst 72 points in the paint — Denver's specialty — as both teams struggled throughout the game from 3-point range. The Nuggets had 66 and 60 points in the lane in wins against Oklahoma City in Denver earlier this season.
Denver's previous longest winning streak in the NBA was 12 straight games in 1982. The franchise won 15 in a row in the ABA.
The Nuggets trailed 66-65 at halftime, but took the lead on Danilo Gallinari's 3-pointer and then followed Westbrook's tying, two-handed dunk off an inbound alley-oop pass by charging ahead with a 12-2 run. Andre Iguodala's right-handed, fast-break slam — created by Gallinari's steal — put Denver up 80-70 midway through the third and prompted Scott Brooks' second timeout to try and end the surge.
After back-to-back Thunder baskets, the Nuggets added to their cushion with seven straight points — a Lawson 3-pointer, a Corey Brewer jumper and then an 18-footer by Lawson — to make it 87-74 with 2:59 left in the third.
Oklahoma City got as close as 102-97 when Westbrook hit a 17-foot jumper from the left elbow with 4:08 to play, but Miller had back-to-back jumpers as Denver answered right back with five straight points. Miller closed it out from the foul line after that.
Miller scored 13 points in the fourth quarter, hitting five of six foul shots in the final 69 seconds.
The Nuggets had six players score in double figures, getting 13 apiece from Kenneth Faried and Gallinari, 11 from Corey Brewer and 10 from Iguodala. Faried also grabbed 15 rebounds as Denver overcame a 14-6 first-quarter rebounding deficit to beat Oklahoma City 52-45 on the glass.
Wilson Chandler, who tied his career-high with 35 points in a win at Chicago a night earlier, did not return after separating his left shoulder in the fourth quarter.
The Nuggets were 4 for 21 from 3-pointer range, only slightly better than Oklahoma City's 4 for 25.
The Thunder led 38-28 early in the second after Martin's leaning basket from the right wing as the shot clock was running down. Denver took advantage of Oklahoma City's bench to score the next eight points, all on layups and a dunk, to tighten it up again.
Notes: Nuggets coach George Karl drew a technical foul in the second quarter for complaining to official Marat Kogut after Lawson was called for his third foul against Durant's ''rip move,'' when he swings the ball through a defender's arms. ... Denver's winning streak is the third-longest in the NBA this season, behind Miami's current 23-game run and the Los Angeles Clippers' 17-game streak. Oklahoma City won 12 straight earlier in the season. ... The Heat and San Antonio are the only other teams to beat Oklahoma City twice this season.
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Love and Zombies on Valentine's Day
- Belfast Bay Inn voted one of the most romantic
- Winter Beach Ball to be held in Bangor
- Two in Sanford arrested for heroin trafficking
- Portland stabbing happened after car accident
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- Federal government sues Ferguson, Missouri
- 2 deputies, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- City workers in San Diego barred from uttering 'biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- San Diego backs off ban of 'gender-biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- Christie, Fiorina suspend 2016 campaigns
- Sanders aims to boost appeal among minority voters after NH win
- 'New low:' Group threatens San Fran with suit over $15G open-air urinal
- Deputies wounded, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- Official: Top Clinton aides also handled ‘top secret’ intel on server
- Missouri boy, 3, found dead in frigid van
- Hawaii's big wave surf competition called off
- To Debbie Wasserman Schultz, from one Floridian to another, you lost in NH, too
- 'The View' hosts 'Feeling the Bern' after Bernie Sanders sit-down
- Johnny Depp stars as Donald Trump in hour-long 'Funny or Die' spoof
- Iranian TV anchor flees country, citing sexual harassment from her boss
- Missouri police hunt for boy, 3, as frigid weather grips search area
- 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' Child Star Tommy Kelly dead at 90
- Michigan teen's 'promposal' to disabled best friend goes viral
- Emails appear to show how key Clinton aide manipulated media coverage
- Trump pushes back on newspaper attacks, says Christie should stay in race
- Body of 22-year-old found in Walmart lot may have been there for months
- Music publisher doesn't own 'Happy Birthday,' has to pay back $14 million
- The Sherp ATV is the life-size Tonka truck you've been craving since childhood
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50