- Created on Friday, 14 June 2013 14:17
Toews won the Frank J. Selke award, given to the NHL's best defensive forward. He emerged from a trio of finalists that included fellow centers Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings.
Toews helped the Blackhawks advance past Datsyuk and the Red Wings in the second round of the playoffs. He is currently competing against Bergeron and the Bruins in the Stanley Cup finals.
The Blackhawks lead the series 1-0, with Game 2 scheduled for Saturday night in Chicago.
''To be able to go head to head with guys like that in the playoffs, and to know them from the past, you understand how much they mean to their teams and how much they contribute offensively and defensively,'' Toews said. ''To be talked about in the same sentence and compared to those guys is absolutely amazing. So it's a special award to win.''
The 25-year-old Toews was third in the NHL with a plus-28 rating in 47 games in the regular season, helping Chicago post the most points in the NHL. He also was a finalist for the Selke after the 2010-11 season.
Bergeron, who won the Selke Trophy last year, earned a different honor this season. He was awarded the King Clancy Memorial Trophy for leadership and humanitarian contributions to the community.
Also Friday, Paul MacLean of the Ottawa Senators won the Jack Adams Award, given to the NHL's coach of the year. The top executive honor went to Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero. The Lady Byng trophy for the NHL's most sportsmanlike player was given to Tampa Bay Lightning forward Martin St. Louis for the third time in four seasons.
''I don't think you start the season thinking you're going to win the Lady Byng, but all in all, you just try to push the envelope without getting caught, I guess,'' St. Louis said. ''You play hard and stay out of the box, but at the same time by no means you're going through the season trying to accomplish that.''
MacLean, a finalist for the second straight year, led Ottawa to the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference while overcoming the prolonged absences of several key players. Chicago's Joel Quenneville and Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks also were up for the award.
''It was a very proud day for myself, my family and the Ottawa Senators organization and what we've gone through. We're pretty pleased here today,'' MacLean said.
One of MacLean's players, forward Daniel Alfredsson, was the winner of the Mark Messier Leadership Award, and Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg was honored with the NHL Foundation Player Award for community service.
Minnesota Wild goalie Josh Harding won the NHL's Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. The award is presented to ''the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.''
Harding was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis last fall and missed 33 games as he underwent treatment. On April 22, he was activated from the injured list and returned to the Wild lineup.
''I feel better than ever,'' Harding said. ''I just won an NHL award. It's something that I never thought I'd do in my life ever, and it happened with MS.
''I played five playoff games. I didn't know if I'd ever play a playoff game, and that came with MS. I want people to believe that goals are possible. Just because you get a label of a disease doesn't mean you're not going to complete your goals. That's what I hope people take out of this.''
Harding faced the condition head on, and never considered giving up his hockey career.
''There were some ups and downs,'' he said Friday. ''Some days it would have been easy to throw in the towel. . But I've been playing hockey since I was 4. I'm not going to let something come in the way.
''For everybody that would be in my situation, I think you'd find a way to make it work.''
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50