- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- Child sets raging Augusta apartment fire
- Cole Land Transportation Museum is open and looking for volunteers
- Woman accused of helping murder suspect
- Plan to cut down on welfare fraud will require drug testing to receive benefits
- Bill to ban purchase of marijuana with TANF could be a challenge to enforce
- Winterport needs school board member and time running out
- Logging truck crashes in New Limerick
- One dog lost in apartment building blaze
- Senator wants to initiate a pilot program to address behavioral issues in pre-schoolers
- Governor LePage to testify against National Monument on Capitol Hill
- "My Day to Play" offered unique experiences for children with autism
- UMaine marches for science in response to EPA cuts
- Eddington fire under investigation
- 9th Annual MEMA conference on April 25 & 26
- Belfast Police busy with new found friends in cruiser
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge work starts Monday
- Mercedes Schlapp on Michael Flynn asking for immunity
- Russia investigation: Adam Schiff releases statement after viewing docs shown to Nunes
- Anti-allergy medicine EpiPen recall expands to US
- Company linked to Trump-Russian dossier has its own Kremlin connection, US senator says
- Kushner retains scores of real estate holdings while in WH
- Illinois teen dies after being punched at party
- Navy destroyer has close encounter with Iran vessel in Persian Gulf
- Tucker: Obama taking $400K from Wall Street is indefensible
- Tourist hit by hammock blown off building in New York City
- Daphne Oz dishes on her co-hosts on 'The Chew'
- Simon the giant rabbit, destined to be world's biggest, dies on United Airlines flight
- Navy destroyer has close encounter with Iranian vessel in Persian Gulf
- Last words haunt surviving teen's sentencing in fatal fire
- Baltimore tops 100 homicides so far in 2017
- Legal battles brewing over ex-NFL star's estate
- Texas advocates push longshot pot bills with veterans, moms
- Chinese court sentences US businesswoman accused of spying
- Officer who found boy's body testifies at dad's murder trial
- 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Sets Release Date
- Tom Cavanagh Talks Directing 'The Flash'
- Beyoncé Marks 'Lemonade' Anniversary With Launch Of New Scholarship Program
- Drake To Host First-Ever NBA Awards
- Scott Baio Clarifies Comments About Late 'Happy Days' Co-Star Erin Moran After Backlash
- Former 'Bachelor' Chris Soules Arrested, Charged With Leaving The Scene Of An Accident Where There Was A Death
- Faye Dunaway Talks Oscars Best Picture Mix-Up
- Elton John Cancels Multiple Concerts After 'Rare & Potentially Deadly' Infection
- 'Chicago P.D.': Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Serena Williams Pens Heartfelt Message To Her Unborn Child: 'I Can't Wait To Meet You'
- Access Hollywood Wants To Send You To Universal Orlando Resort™
- 'iZombie's' Rahul Kohli Talks 'Supergirl' Role
- After inconsistent season, Lundqvist shining in postseason
- Working overtime: Extra hockey may take its toll on players
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.: 'I wanted to go out on my own terms'
- Tampa Bay Rays at Baltimore Orioles game preview (4/25/17)
- Halep, Cornet give Sharapova wild-card debate new impetus
- Why Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a first-ballot lock for the NASCAR Hall of Fame
- Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu shares heartwarming letter from family
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire after the 2017 season
- Blues get faceoff leader back with Paul Stastny
- Chris Archer gives up 3 HRs, Rays fall to Orioles
- John Stevens believes small changes will be big for LA Kings
- Serena Williams slams Ilie Nastase for 'racist comments' about her unborn child