- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- City council imposes psych facility moratorium
- Two missing children survive crash that killed their mother
- Health Care Bill still in need of more GOP support
- Knox County Sheriff is asking for help locating a young man
- Maine Chapter of The American Red Cross is deploying to Puerto Rico
- Police need help in locating Bangor woman and her children
- Moose season gets underway Monday
- Attorney General determines deputy killed a man in self-defense
- Serious accident near Penobscot Narrows Bridge over the weekend
- Deadly Auburn crash under investigation
- Celebrating Batman
- Touch-a-Truck and "Drive 4 UR School" fundraiser
- Bangor Symphony Orchestra receives generous donation
- White nationalist Christopher Cantwell denied bond on felony charges in Charlottesville rally
- Ethan Hawke prayed on being a priest, hoped God didn't want it for him
- Marc Anthony to Trump: Shut the f--- up about NFL, worry about Puerto Rico
- Wife of ex HS football coach pleads guilty to statutory rape charges
- Pence, Bannon, Robertson stump in Alabama for Senate candidates
- As North Korea threatens electromagnetic pulse attack, questions over lapses in US grid security rise
- New Yale college celebrates 'transgressive gender expression', calls its students 'lemurs'
- Bannon rails against GOP 'elites' working against Trump in 'Hannity' interview
- Pacific Fleet admiral to retire after word of no promotion
- Welcome 'last man standing' Hannity back to 9 pm slot
- Myanmar says no 'ethnic cleansing,' genocide against Muslims
- 'Big Bang Theory' Season 11 premiere recap: Did Amy say 'yes'?
- Surveillance program had 106,000 foreign targets in 2016, officials say
- Police: Tennessee church shooting suspect sent suicidal text
- Police union blasts handling of Utah nurse arrest probe
- Trump's new travel ban: Third time the charm?
- MAGA singer asks, 'Are we living in 1984?' as Free Speech Week goes kaput
- Turkish court frees 1 journalist from prison, orders 4 held
- Ryan Phillippe Breaks His Silence On Assault Allegations
- Emilia Clarke Goes 'Khaleesi' Blonde For The First Time
- Russell Wilson Teaches Football To Ciara's Son
- Sterling K. Brown Shows Off His Emmy – And His Abs!
- 5-Ingredient Fall Dinners from Craftsy
- Blue Ivy Plays Dress-Up With Beyoncé's Clothes
- Googling Avril Lavigne Could Kill Your Computer
- Miley Cyrus Reveals Track List For New Album 'Younger Now'
- Shonda Rhimes Puts People On Blast For Treating Her Differently Before Weight Loss
- Alicia Vikander is Lara Croft in the new 'Tomb Raider' Trailer!
- 'Riverdale’ Hotties KJ Appa and Charles Melton Hit The Soccer Field For Charity
- Halle Berry Flashes Her Rear Assets In Sheer Dress On The Red Carpet
- Gillette Stadium charges fans $4.50 for tap water in cups after bottled water runs out
- Odell Beckham Jr. hints that his urination celebration was a shot at Trump
- Packers rookies King, Jones standing out on defense
- Monday Night Football: Cowboys kneel before national anthem
- Magic feel sense of stability heading in year 2 with coach Frank Vogel
- Bucks keep the status quo heading into training camp
- Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates look bad'
- Twins closing in on playoff berth
- Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates looks bad'
- Familiarity provides different vibe for Miami Heat heading into 2017 training camp
- Dolphins coach threatens lineup changes after ugly loss to Jets
- Purdue's Brohm after Michigan loss: 'We need to tone it down a little bit'