- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- Car found upside down in Ellsworth fatal accident
- Free car seat inspections could save kids' lives
- Husson holds groundbreaking for new townhouses
- Acadia Night Sky Festival is in full swing
- "The Simple Truth About the Pay Gap"
- Local restaurant celebrates women on "American Business Woman's Day
- Arson charges sends a man to prison
- Bar Harbor visitor numbers are up greatly this year
- UMaine Museum of Art showcases Canadian artists
- BREAKING: New details on Fairfield murder
- Rockland woman heading to prison for selling drugs
- Police seek help in locating man on the run
- A Knox man has been indicted in connection with a hatchet attack in Milbridge
- Man on trial following haunted hayride crash
- Maine Red Cross to install free smoke alarms
- Hancock woman heading to jail for embezzling
- A wanted man is behind bars following a drug bust in Augusta
- More cuts to Mercy Hospital as 31 people are laid off
- 20 golf carts go up in flames at gold course
- Trump doubles down on 'impenetrable, physical' wall during immigration speech
- Egypt moves to tighten borders after migrant ship tragedy
- Suicide bomber targets Shiites in Iraqi capital, kills 7
- Jordanian writer gunned down outside courthouse
- Qatar names Fossati to coach national soccer team
- Bosnian Serbs vote in referendum banned by top court
- 'Do The Right Thing' actor Bill Nunn dies at 62
- Three found dead in Southern California home after child calls 911, teen missing
- Swiss vote on new law to beef up intelligence services
- In battle for Iraq's Mosul, many forces with many motives
- Things to Know about deadly shootings at mall in Washington
- Trump threatens to have Gennifer Flowers attend first presidential debate
- North Korean defectors who became Chinese brides end silence
- N. Korean defectors sold as brides in China want kids back
- Prince William, Kate Middleton bring children to Canada for first official trip
- Police probing triple homicide search for missing teen
- Three-year-old girl among 8 injured in Baltimore shooting
- Funeral held for unarmed man shot by Tulsa officer
- Is It A Girl Or A Boy For Olivia Wilde?
- London Police Investigating Reported Phone Hack Of Pippa Middleton
- The Backstreet Boys Headed For Las Vegas Residency
- Lady Gaga Releases Track List For 'Joanne'
- Adam Levine Shares Adorable Photo Of New Baby Dusty Rose!
- Delicious Fuss-Free Snacks Inspired by Top Culinary Cities in America
- Puff Daddy Is Donating $1 Million To Howard University, Where He Was Once A Student
- Unfazed Corey Feldman To 'Go 4 It' By Planning A Return To 'Today'
- Monty Python's Terry Jones Diagnosed With Dementia
- Adam Levine & Behati Prinsloo Welcome A Baby Girl – Find Out Her Name!
- Medical Examiner: Mia Farrow's Son Thaddeus Killed Himself
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Cast Tops Forbes' Best-Paid TV Actors List
- National Anthem protests spread to college football, WNBA
- Sun Devils seal second-half comeback with late interceptions
- Wildcats hand with No. 9 Huskies but fall in OT
- Extra security planned for Panthers-Vikings game amid Charlotte protests
- Giants' Blach takes Cueto's spot Sunday in San Diego
- Astros need to avoid sweep to keep playoff hopes alive
- Braves avoid Marlins' Fernandez in series finale
- Braves avoid Marlins' Hernandez in series finale
- Nationals send Cole to mound after clinching division
- Orioles pursue wild card, series sweep
- Air Force beats Utah State 27-20 in Mountain West opener
- Mets continue playoff push versus Phillies