- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- Man from Wayne is accused of exposing himself to children in Augusta
- Lawmakers respond to voicemail Gov. LePage left for Democratic legislator
- New school unveiled that will serve all RSU 64 students K - 5
- American Folk Festival caters to sign language users
- Cruise ship season in Bar Harbor at its peak
- Herring shortage worsens that is affecting Maine lobstermen
- Governor in hot water over comments that he's kept binder of mug shots of drug dealers
- Sportsman's Alliance of Maine is not happy about National Monument decision
- Hampden man arrested on heroin charges
- 2nd Annual "Cruisin for CM & SM" to spread awareness of not so rare disease
- A woman who attempted to buy a couple of Happy Meals for some children isn't so happy today
- Man accused of severely beating his child is now out on bail
- Guilford celebrates 200 years
- $50K reward offered in 8-year-old girl's stray bullet death
- Authorities: Off-duty cop kills man who tied to take gun
- Saudis say rocket fired from Yemen kills 2 children
- Juan Gabriel, Mexican superstar singer, dead at 66
- Canadian government sets up probe of switched at birth case
- Tropical depressions form in Atlantic, Gulf could drench North Carolina, Gulf Coast
- FARC sets permanent cease-fire under Colombia peace deal
- Team Trump tries to define immigration policy by contrasting Clinton's plan
- Sheriff investigates after video shows 4-year-old boy being thrown off a bridge into a river
- Visitor misbehavior on display as US parks agency turns 100
- Ex-NFL player suffering from memory loss writes 'love letter' to family
- Widow of slain federal wildlife refuge occupier plans to sue
- At least 2 dead, dozens hurt after Louisiana flood volunteer bus strikes firetruck
- AP Explains: Brazil's president under impeachment trial
- Two friends from remote Canada discover they were switched at birth 41 years ago
- Wingsuit jumper live streams accidental death days after fellow daredevil dies
- Turkish president vows to 'destroy terrorists'
- Police sergeant who filmed himself taking pot is released
- Which Celebs Could We See At Burning Man 2016?
- The Spice Girls Had A Mini Reunion & It Was Everything!
- Aly Raisman Gets Welcomed Home With 'Aly Raisman Day'
- 2016 MTV Video Music Awards: What To Expect
- Simone Biles & Her Sister Look Like Twins In New Pic
- Kim Kardashian's Tennis Outfit Is Unbelievable
- Rihanna To Open 2016 MTV VMA's
- 'Making A Murderer': Steven Avery's Attorney Seeks More Evidence Testing
- 'Little Women: LA's' Terra Jolé & Babyface Headed To 'Dancing With The Stars'
- Khloé Kardashian Shares Her Newest Fitness Secret & Calls Sister Kim Her 'Body Motivation'
- Billionaire Richard Branson Survives Bike Crash
- Britney Spears Gets Revealing In Carpool Karaoke Segment With James Corden
- Kaepernick will sit through anthem until there's change
- Reeds win Barclays, Fowler loses Ryder Cup spot
- Titans waive 11 to trim roster before Tuesday's NFL deadline
- Jets place wide receiver Devin Smith on PUP, cut 11 players
- Maine-Endwell wins Little League title game against South Korea
- Panthers cut WR Stephen Hill, 10 others
- Pieters takes 3rd European title with win in Denmark
- For retired US Open champ Flavia Pennetta, no regrets
- Bills sign QB Trainor as potential preseason finale fill in
- Mancini leads Endwell to Little League title game
- West Ham signs Italy forward Zaza on loan from Juventus
- Mladenovic, Garcia and Paire suspended by French tennis fed