- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- Train derailment causes traffic issues but no injuries
- Keeping your pets safe during the holidays
- Bangor PD hold holiday toy drive
- US Marshal warns of holiday scams
- The town of Blue Hill investigates missing money
- UPDATE: Police arrest a man in Brewer car into house incident
- Senator King tours Belfast businesses
- New Canada crash involved a cat and school bus
- Crash sends driver to the hospital
- UPDATE: Brewer PD finds stolen car involved in hit-and-run
- Bangor man arrested for robbery and drug charges
- Bucksport "Small Businees Saturday" incentives
- Old Town YMCA holding a fundraiser for teen center
- Local radio station holding annual food drive
- Maine outdoor businesses team up
- Deadly crash in Greene under investigation
- NYC terror attack: Halloween horror would have been much worse without top notch NYPD
- NYC terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov: Who is he?
- Democratic group pulls ad targeting Virginia governor hopeful Ed Gillespie's supporters
- Holiday party leftovers: What to keep and what to toss
- Wisconsin deer hunter meets friendly 8-point buck during hunt
- NYPD to use secret weapon at Thanksgiving Day Parade: 'Vapor Wake' retrievers
- 6 common Thanksgiving cooking mistakes (and how to fix them)
- Tucker Carlson Tonight - Wednesday, November 22
- Hannity - Wednesday, November 23
- Uganda's foreign minister urged to quit over alleged bribe
- Kuwait's 88-year-old ruler leaves hospital after checkup
- Wolves' return to Oregon brings conflict and opportunity
- Pope Francis to visit 3 Baltic nations next year: Report
- Phoenix homeowner pulls plug on Christmas lights after city crackdown
- Special Report With Bret Baier - Wednesday, November 22
- Cows fall from overpass after semi-truck crashes, snarling traffic
- Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says
- Zimbabwe, facing new leader, wonders 'Where is Mugabe?'
- Rashida Jones Reveals Why She Quit 'Toy Story 4' After Pixar Co-Founder Takes Leave
- Jordan Fisher Crowned 'Dancing with the Stars' Alongside Partner Lindsay Arnold
- 'The Partridge Family' Star David Cassidy Dies At 67
- Drew Scott Lost How Much Weight From Being On 'Dancing With the Stars'?
- Bella Hadid Is 'Grateful' & 'Happy' Following Her Second Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- Did Kris Jenner Just Confirm Khloe & Kylie's Pregnancies On Instagram?
- Armie Hammer Calls Out Casey Affleck's Oscar Win As A Double Standard Against Nate Parker
- Pink Releases Her Music Video For 'Beautiful Trauma' Co-Starring Channing Tatum
- Kathy Griffin Says She Faces A 'Hollywood Blacklist' After Trump Photo Controversy
- Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' Sells 1.22 Million Albums In First Week
- Jenna Dewan Tatum Rocks Super Sexy Look At The 2017 American Music Awards
- Kelly Clarkson's Daughters, River Rose and Savannah, Stole Nicole Kidman & Pink's Hearts At The 2017 AMAs
- Bjugstad, Panthers defeat Maple Leafs in shootout
- QB Smith taking heat for Chiefs' extended malaise
- Ohtani may be posted next week after MLB and NPB make deal
- Injuries will be the story as Redskins and Giants play on Thanksgiving
- Chargers and Cowboys head into Thanksgiving game with a lot on the line
- San Diego State offensive coordinator calls Penny's snub "a joke"
- Maria Sharapova being investigated by Indian police in housing fraud case
- NBA star Ray Allen says he was 'catfished,' asks court to throw out stalking case
- Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas says she was abused, as disgraced doctor pleads guilty to sex charges
- Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas claims team doctor sexually abused her after spat with 'Fierce Five' teammates
- K-State QB Ertz to have season-ending knee surgery
- Jayhawks strip captaincy from three players who withheld handshakes