- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- Program aids immigrants in becoming citizens
- Two county men hit same moose in seperate vehicles
- Carmel woman indicted in arson case
- Maine fire crews fighting fires in Montana are getting valuable experience
- Four people indicted in deadly meth lab incident
- Lincoln couple indicted on meth lab charges
- Deadly accident in Oxford under investigation
- President tweets that transgender people will not be allowed to serve in military
- Legislative committee agree on tax amount for recreational marijuana
- BBB warning about scammers calling your phones
- 23rd Annual Block Party held at Chapin Park
- Partners for Peace searching for volunteers
- Poliquin won't support repeal of ACA without "viable replacement"
- House fire contained quickly despite tricky terrain
- Virginia law will give drug addicts clean needles
- Catholic men's conference in crosshairs of left-wing activists
- Lawyer for Wasserman Schultz' ex-IT aide: Fraud count might be 'placeholder' for more charges
- Ohio State Fair accident spurs other fairs to close 'Fire Ball' rides
- Dentures left at scene lead to Tennessee man's rape conviction 16 years later
- Senate committee holds hearing on Russian influence on US election -- live blog
- Tensions flare between Scaramucci, Priebus amid leak allegations
- Scaramucci blasts 'felony' leak of his financial info, but denies targeting Priebus
- Sarah Palin to subpoena two dozen New York Times staffers in lawsuit
- Fran Drescher recalls cancer diagnosis: 'Don’t trust anybody with your life'
- Congress close to deal on funding for nearly broke VA program
- Russia used fake Facebook accounts to target Macron campaign, report says
- Arizona man gets 68 years in Bundy standoff case
- Amber Rose tells all about Kanye West breakup: 'The only thing I got from him was fame'
- Ohio tragedy latest in string of US amusement park mishaps
- Ray Romano had no desire to star in a sitcom again after 'Everybody Loves Raymond'
- Kid Rock tables US Senate run, stresses voter registration
- Jury says Michael Jackson's estate owes Quincy Jones $9.4 million
- 'Wonder Woman' Sequel Sets 2019 Release Date
- MTV VMAs 2017: Kendrick Lamar, Katy Perry, The Weeknd & More Among Top Nominees
- Disney Parts Ways With YouTube Star Jake Paul
- Justin Bieber Cancels The Rest Of His Purpose World Tour Over 'Unforeseen Circumstances'
- Linkin Park Issues Statement On Chester Bennington's Death: 'Our Hearts Are Broken'
- 'Dunkirk' & 'Girls Trip' Win At The Box Office
- Michael Phelps Loses To Simulated Shark In 'Shark Week'
- 'Stranger Things' Creators Drop Surprise Trailer Season 2 At Comic-Con
- John Heard Has Died At Age 72
- Justin Bieber Won't Be Invited To Perform In Beijing
- Princess Diana Honored At Buckingham Palace Exhibit 20 Years After Her Death
- Linkin Park Singer Chester Bennington Has Died In His Home Near Los Angeles
- Vikings' Bridgewater to talk to media following move to PUP list
- Dolphins safety Reshad Jones will start camp on active-non-football injury list
- Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. apologizes following arrest
- Experiment with shorter inning breaks does little to speed up Cards-Rockies game
- Cobb stifles Orioles as Rays finish off homestand with series win
- Cardinals recall RHP Mayers to replace Waino on 25-man roster
- Cespedes leads Mets past Padres 6-5
- Double-switch delay, Dodgers derail Twins in 6-2 loss
- Brewers hit trio of homers to back Davies' strong start
- Royals get pitchers Cahill, Maurer, Buchter from Padres
- Lucky Whitehead has shoplifting charges dropped after police acknowledge mistake
- DeGrom wins 8th straight start, Mets hold off Padres 5-3