- Created on Monday, 10 December 2012 14:57
None of that has anything even remotely to do with a coat drive.
Neither, in fact, does Kevin Love jamming on a saxophone, but somehow it works. Or, at least, it makes people laugh and thus becomes a viral video spreading the word about Kevin Love's fifth-annual coat drive.
This year's video, in Love's words, is a little "(out of) left field," and it's a marked improvement over videos from past years, one of which featured players flashing onto the screen and saying, "Coats." But Love didn't rush to take credit for the creative genius behind the finished product. Despite the beginning credit that reads: " 'The Session,' a short film by Kevin Love," he admitted that the game operations staff is actually in charge of coming up with the concepts.
"They always come to me with an idea, and if it's not too crazy, I usually say yes," Love said. "This year was no exception."
Love and his supporting cast filmed this video and another that has played during games at the Target Center this season. (The second video is set to techno music and is nearly as entertaining as this longer incarnation.) Backup center Greg Stiemsma, who joined the team this offseason, had heard in advance of filming that the team is known for its "pretty goofy videos," and he enjoyed his first opportunity to be a part of the project.
"It's probably almost funnier to watch them film," he said. "Behind a green screen you've got all these giant guys in these little coats, kind of like a fat man in a little coat. They made us do all these facial (expressions) and act like we're dancing, and then we don't really see what they're going to edit together until the final product, so we're kind of in suspense until we see it."
The coat Stiemsma was given to wear was the biggest one they had on hand, he said, and it was still about three sizes too small. He's most memorable, though, because of his brown trapper hat, which he admitted that he tried and failed to swipe from the set.
Stiemsma said several of his friends from Wisconsin and South Dakota have sent him links to the video, and he's pleased it's becoming popular online with people outside of Minnesota. For Love, that's the main appeal of the promotion: It's not so much about the filming, but its effect.
"I look forward to the end product and going to do the different events where people drop off the coats and are happy to help," Love said. "It's just a way to get the community outreach aspect going and help the community. It's fun."
"Finally, when I load up my car at the end and drop the coats off at the Salvation Army, that's when it's very telling of how well we've done, and every year it seems to get better."
The black wig, trench coat and saxophone — those are just added perks for the rest of us.
Follow Joan Niesen on Twitter.
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Love and Zombies on Valentine's Day
- Belfast Bay Inn voted one of the most romantic
- Winter Beach Ball to be held in Bangor
- Two in Sanford arrested for heroin trafficking
- Portland stabbing happened after car accident
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- Oklahoma man arrested in decapitation of his grandmother, her husband
- Fargo police officer shot during standoff has 'non-survivable' wound, chief says
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy arrested by FBI in Oregon
- West Point cadets go online, undercover to fight ISIS
- Passengers on storm-battered cruise ship recount traumatic experience
- Remaining Oregon militia members say they'll turn themselves in
- US Navy rips Iran after new footage shows captured sailor crying
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- FBI says it has surrounded last occupiers at Oregon refuge
- US Army orders hundreds of soldiers back to southern Afghanistan
- Sirhan Sirhan, assassin of Robert Kennedy, denied parole for 15th time
- Federal government sues Ferguson, Missouri
- 2 deputies, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- City workers in San Diego barred from uttering 'biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- San Diego backs off ban of 'gender-biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- Rare weather event produces spontaneous snowballs in Idaho
- Samsung Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 7 rumor roundup
- Christie, Fiorina suspend 2016 campaigns
- Sanders aims to boost appeal among minority voters after NH win
- 'New low:' Group threatens San Fran with suit over $15G open-air urinal
- Deputies wounded, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- Official: Top Clinton aides also handled ‘top secret’ intel on server
- Missouri boy, 3, found dead in frigid van
- Hawaii's big wave surf competition called off
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50