Cincinnati, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Russell Martin singled home the winning run in the seventh inning as the Pittsburgh Pirates downed the Cincinnati Reds, 8-7, in the opener of a three-game set.
- Created on Tuesday, 15 April 2014 19:09
The game began on Monday and went into a lengthy rain delay in the seventh inning, and after close to two hours, umpires decided to postpone the game until Tuesday.
Prior to the postponement, the contest featured 10 home runs, a new record for Great American Ball Park and just two shy of the most for a single game in MLB history.
Included in those home runs were three back-to-back pairs for Pittsburgh. the first time that happened in a game since the Red Sox turned the trick on June 17, 1977.
Neil Walker and Gaby Sanchez clubbed back-to-back shots to open the second and sixth innings, while Starling Marte and Travis Snider did it to start the fifth.
It's only the third time in MLB history that this has occurred, with the Reds also accomplishing the feat on Aug. 18, 1956.
Bryan Morris (2-0) got the win for tossing the sixth inning, while starter Wandy Rodriguez pitched five innings and gave up six runs on six hits for the Pirates, who were swept over three games by Milwaukee prior to this series.
Joey Votto, Todd Frazier and Ryan Ludwick each hit a two-run home run for the Reds, who have lost three of four. Cincinnati starter Homer Bailey gave up five runs on eight hits with nine strikeouts over five innings.
Pittsburgh started at the plate when the game resumed in the top of the seventh, and Andrew McCutchen doubled with one out then moved to third on a wild pitch from Sam LeCure (0-1). After Pedro Alvarez looked at strike three, Russell Martin punched a single to center for an 8-7 lead.
Tony Watson worked around a leadoff single in the seventh, while Mark Melancon gave up a one-out walk in the eighth, but got the next two batters out to preserve the lead.
Jason Grilli pitched a 1-2-3 ninth, striking out Billy Hamilton for his fourth save of the season.
McCutchen's RBI single in the first briefly gave Pittsburgh the lead, but Votto walked with one out in the home half and Frazier clubbed a pitch over the wall in center for a 2-1 advantage.
Pittsburgh used the long ball in the second for a 3-2 advantage as Walker led off the frame with a homer and Sanchez followed with his first of the season.
In the fourth, Frazier lofted a pop up down the right field line and Snider made a sliding attempt at a catch. The ball popped out and it was ruled foul, but a challenge from Cincinnati saw the call overturned and Frazier was awarded a double. Two batters later, Ludwick clubbed a pitch over the center- field wall for a 4-3 lead.
Pittsburgh, though, again got consecutive homers to start the fifth, as Snider followed Marte's shot for a 5-4 advantage.
Cincinnati again turned to the long ball to grab the lead back as Neftali Soto had a pinch-hit double and Votto later hit his third homer of the season for a 6-5 advantage.
As they did in the second inning, Walker and Sanchez homered again to start the sixth to give the Pirates a 7-6 lead.
Devin Mesoraco's two-out solo shot to left in the home sixth tied the game.
The previous record for homers at this stadium happened on May 27, 2012, when the Rockies hit five homers and the Reds had four ... Pittsburgh won 11 of the 19 games against Cincinnati last season.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- NASA bans the word 'Jesus'
- Governors roar into NH primary, seek to disrupt Rubio's 'Marcomentum'
- Former ISIS sex slaves now army of ‘Sun Ladies’ ready to defeat terror group
- Runner dies after starting 5-mile Krispy Kreme Challenge
- At least 2 killed in apartment fight involving bats, sticks
- New England braces for up to 18 inches of snow as blizzard approaches
- Coldplay's latest video draws flak for portrayal of India
- Woman who drank heavily for decades develops fatty humps
- Samantha Bee's late night show 'Full Frontal' won't have guests, sketches
- James Corden, Cindy Crawford recreate sexy Pepsi Super Bowl ad
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Rapper Meek Mill Given 3 Months House Arrest For Parole Violation
- Solange Knowles Loses Wedding Ring During Mardi Gras Parade
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50