- Created on Thursday, 14 February 2013 17:57
A Lakers spokesman declined to comment on his condition.
Several current and former Lakers players have visited Buss, including Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
Buss, 79, has been in the hospital numerous times the last two years. He underwent an undisclosed surgery last August and was admitted a month earlier for what the team said was dehydration. He was also hospitalized in December 2011 for blood clots in his leg caused by excessive travel, according to the Lakers.
A report Thursday from radaronline.com said that players were visiting Buss because of “what they expect to be his final days.”
Before his most recent medical issues, Buss continued to take part in decision-making processes for the Lakers.
He weighed in heavily on the hiring of coach Mike D’Antoni in November and, a few months before that, was eager to meet Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, two high-profile Lakers additions who visited him separately after being acquired.
Buss received a doctorate in physical chemistry from USC but it was a $1,000 investment in a Los Angeles apartment building that ultimately sparked a career in real-estate investment.
In 1979, Buss bought the Lakers from Jack Kent Cooke, along with the Forum, the NHL’s Kings (which he later sold), and a ranch in the Sierra Nevada for a total of $67.5 million.
The Lakers franchise, buoyed by a lucrative TV deal with Time Warner Cable, was recently valued at $1 billion by Forbes magazine. Only one other NBA franchise, the New York Knicks, was deemed more valuable.
The Lakers have won 10 NBA championships since Buss purchased the team and 16 overall, one behind the Boston Celtics.
They are continually among the top-spending teams in player salary, and this season is no different. They have a $100-million payroll, the highest in the NBA, and face luxury-tax penalties of another $30 million in an overwhelmingly disappointing season so far.
There would be another steep financial investment if Howard decided to re-sign with the Lakers after this season. Howard is in the last year of his contract and could sign a five-year, $118-million deal in July to stay with the team.
“When it comes down to it, Dr. Buss is a competitor,” Lakers gneral manager Mitch Kupchak said when Howard was acquired in a four-team trade last August. “And when it comes down to a decision about making a couple of dollars or a million dollars or $10 million or putting another banner up, he can’t help himself. He chooses to go for the banner.”
Buss used to be a fixture at Lakers games in his Staples Center luxury suite halfway up the arena behind the team bench, but he has not attended any games this season.
He maintained an extremely low public profile last year, emerging briefly to release a statement through the team when Derek Fisher was traded in a rare cost-cutting move last March.
“Few who have worn the Lakers uniform have done so with as much class as Derek, both on the court and in the community . . . from his famous 0.4 shot in San Antonio to his clutch performances in the Finals against Orlando and Boston when it mattered most,” Buss said in the statement.
Buss has gradually handed more power to his son, Jim, who oversees basketball operations, and daughter, Jeanie, who is in charge of the business side of the team.
— Mike Bresnahan
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- Matt Lauer asks Katie Holmes about his interview with Tom Cruise
- Mayim Bialik flashes Piers Morgan two times on TV
- Texas nanny allegedly held hostage at home, forced to work 20-hour shifts
- Washington medical director resigns, blasts fire department in outgoing letter
- American World War II veteran reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south, west
- Sanders, Trump and more. Fasten your seatbelt, America, this is gonna be one helluva ride
- Trump pulls off huge win, but Kasich will be the media darling
- Independents breaking for Trump in NH GOP primary, exit polls show
- Tight race for 2nd, 3rd in Republican New Hampshire primary
- Trump wins, Kasich takes 2nd in GOP New Hampshire primary, Fox News projects
- Trump, Sanders win NH primary – and the battle heads South
- Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold
- Exit polls: Late deciders breaking for Trump, Kasich in NH GOP race
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50