- Created on Monday, 21 January 2013 13:11
NEW YORK (AP)
Joe Johnson made the go-ahead jumper with 22 seconds left and scored 25 points, leading the Brooklyn Nets to an 88-85 over the New York Knicks on Monday and a split of the four-game series between the city rivals.
Deron Williams added 14 points and 12 assists for the Nets, who cut the Knicks' Atlantic Division lead to one game. Brook Lopez had 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Kris Humphries came off the bench for 11 points and 13 boards.
The Nets survived a pair of lengthy droughts in the second half but got 10 points in the final period from Johnson, who used to play for Knicks coach Mike Woodson in Atlanta and has become the player Brooklyn turns to for big shots in the clutch.
Anthony had his 26th straight 20-point game, tied with Stoudemire for third-longest streak in franchise history, but the Knicks were sluggish early in their first game since playing in London on Thursday and lost for the third straight time on Martin Luther King Day.
The Knicks led by three before consecutive 3-pointers by CJ Watson and Johnson gave Brooklyn a 78-75 lead. Smith scored, but then Johnson made another 3 and a jumper to extend the lead to 83-77 with 5:38 remaining before the Nets went cold again.
New York shut Brooklyn out over the next 5 minutes while scoring seven in a row, regaining the lead on Anthony's free throws with 40 seconds to play. But the Nets got the ball on the next possession to Johnson, who dribbled right toward the baseline and pulled up for the go-ahead basket.
Anthony missed badly on the next possession and the Knicks fouled Williams, who made both with 8.3 seconds to play for a three-point lead. Jason Kidd made one after the Nets fouled him intentionally, but the Knicks had one final chance after Williams hit just one of two on his next trip, ending a streak of 52 consecutive made free throws. Smith's rushed 3-point attempt bounced off the backboard and front of the rim.
The Knicks led the division by six games after beating the Nets here on Dec. 19, but the Nets have gone 11-2 under interim coach P.J. Carlesimo while the Knicks have battled injuries and failed to play at the level they reached early in the season.
The Nets led 26-24 after one, then got a solid stretch from Humphries, who has struggled lately after losing his starting job. He scored seven straight points as Brooklyn went ahead by six, and the lead grew to 45-35 on Reggie Evans' free throw with 2:06 remaining in the half.
Humphries finished with nine points and eight rebounds in 12 first-half minutes, and the Nets led 47-41 at the break.
The Knicks shot under 35 percent in the first half and trailed by nine early in the third quarter before finally finding their legs. Stoudemire and Smith each had two baskets before Anthony's jumper capped a 10-0 run that gave New York a 63-60 lead during a span in which it held Brooklyn without a basket for five minutes. The Knicks led 68-65 after three.
It was the third tight game in the series, the games living up to the extra emphasis that was put on them since the Nets' move from New Jersey into the Knicks' city. Anthony was the dominant player in the series, a thrill for the Brooklyn native and a tough pill to swallow for the Nets, who desperately tried to acquire him two years ago before the Denver Nuggets instead took the Knicks' package.
But he couldn't quite reach his level of play from the first three games, when he averaged 37 points.
NOTES: Richie Guerin holds the Knicks' record with 29 straight 20-point games. Hall of Fame center Patrick Ewing had a 28-game streak. ... The Knicks fell to 18-9 on the holiday.
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Independents breaking for Trump in NH GOP primary, exit polls show
- Tight race for 2nd, 3rd in Republican New Hampshire primary
- Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold
- Exit polls: Late deciders breaking for Trump, Kasich in NH GOP race
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- M1 Abrams tank makes cameo in Iranian-backed terror group's video
- Hundreds of California homes, buildings used plans drafted by 2 phony engineers, say authorities
- Candace Cameron Bure is uncomfortable with foul language on ‘The View’
- Man killed by meteorite in India, say government officials
- Utah woman warns against cosmetic procedure after losing all of her eyelashes
- Top intel official confirms ISIS made, used chemical weapons
- NASA releases stunning 360-degree Mars video
- Liam Neeson admits to dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- North Korean satellite reportedly 'tumbling in orbit,' making it useless
- Texas prosecutor busted for drunken driving
- Sanders closing Clinton's national polling lead, as NH votes
- 19th-century 'Perpetual Mouse Trap' lives up to its name
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50