- Created on Wednesday, 16 January 2013 15:55
TAMPA, Fla. (AP)
The 38-year-old team captain reiterated Wednesday that he is on track to be in New York's starting lineup for the opener on April 1.
Jeter won't take the field for workouts until later this month. The 13-time All-Star said that is his normal pre-spring training routine.
''I've got the OK to start,'' Jeter said before a launch party for his Turn 2 Foundation Celebrity Golf Classic. ''But I don't start until next week or the week after, anyway. In terms of baseball activity, I'm right where I need to be.''
Jeter broke his ankle lunging for a grounder in Game 1 of the AL championship series against Detroit on Oct. 13. He had surgery a week later and the Yankees said recovery time would be four to five months.
''Great ... the leg is good,'' Jeter said.
Jeter had a resurgent season in 2012, leading the American League with 216 hits and batted .316 with 15 homers and 58 RBIs. He first injured his ankle in mid-September and then fouled balls off his foot several times after that.
The aging Yankees won the AL East last season and defeated Baltimore in the division series, then were swept by Detroit in the AL championship series.
''Too old or experienced?'' Jeter said. ''I'm pretty sure we'll be competitive, and be right where we need to be.''
Jeter's foundation has given out more than $17 million in grants since 1996 to organizations that help steer young people away from alcohol and drugs.
NOTES: Among those attending the event were Tampa Bay Rays senior adviser Don Zimmer, who is returning this year for 65th professional season. ''As ready as I can get,'' Zimmer said with a smile about the upcoming season. ... Tino Martinez, hired during the offseason as the Miami Marlins' hitting coach, is looking forward to working the team's young hitters. ''I thought for me, a first-year coach, it was a great situation to come in to, to work young players,'' Martinez said. The former Yankees star, who also considered a coaching position with Boston during the offseason, said managing is something he may consider in the future.
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Love and Zombies on Valentine's Day
- Belfast Bay Inn voted one of the most romantic
- Winter Beach Ball to be held in Bangor
- Two in Sanford arrested for heroin trafficking
- Portland stabbing happened after car accident
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- Oklahoma man arrested in decapitation of his grandmother, her husband
- West Point cadets go online, undercover to fight ISIS
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- FBI says it has surrounded last occupiers at Oregon refuge
- US Army orders hundreds of soldiers back to southern Afghanistan
- Sirhan Sirhan, assassin of Robert Kennedy, denied parole for 15th time
- Federal government sues Ferguson, Missouri
- 2 deputies, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- City workers in San Diego barred from uttering 'biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- San Diego backs off ban of 'gender-biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- Rare weather event produces spontaneous snowballs in Idaho
- Samsung Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 7 rumor roundup
- Christie, Fiorina suspend 2016 campaigns
- Sanders aims to boost appeal among minority voters after NH win
- 'New low:' Group threatens San Fran with suit over $15G open-air urinal
- Deputies wounded, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- Official: Top Clinton aides also handled ‘top secret’ intel on server
- Missouri boy, 3, found dead in frigid van
- Hawaii's big wave surf competition called off
- To Debbie Wasserman Schultz, from one Floridian to another, you lost in NH, too
- 'The View' hosts 'Feeling the Bern' after Bernie Sanders sit-down
- Johnny Depp stars as Donald Trump in hour-long 'Funny or Die' spoof
- Iranian TV anchor flees country, citing sexual harassment from her boss
- Missouri police hunt for boy, 3, as frigid weather grips search area
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50