Thursday, 21 December 2017 21:33

Boyington in a fighting predicament after being cut from PFL

Written by 
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

BANGOR - As Bruce Boyington looks out at his Taekwondo students, he reminds them of what to do while meditating.

"Get your mind under control," he said to the young children. "Get focused on what you're ready to do."

 

Boyington is paying the bills with the classes for now, but the 38-year-old has no intentions on retiring.

 

"I intend on trying to fight as much as I can."

 

The man they call "Pretty Boy" signed with what was the World Series of Fighting back in 2016, even getting the opportunity to fight at Madison Square Garden. The deal was for four fights in total, and when the organization re-branded to the Professional Fighters League, said while he could not take any outside fights due to the contract, they would have some lined up for him come 2018.

 

"So I knew, alright, just get to January," he said. "I put off some surgeries, some stuff like that, and I knew I'm gonna have my fights."

 

The organization, Boyington claims, told the fighters they would also receive paychecks rather than just fight payouts. But as he waited for the call on when his next fight would be, he received a different message: he had been cut instead.

 

"And then just before it's about to start, they say, 'well, you know you're not going to be part of it by the way.""

 

The division was cut by two fighters, and Boyington was one of the casualties. Because he wasn't able to take any fights, Boyington said he made significantly less money than he should have in 2017, and is considering legal action against the PFL. Several lawsuits are outstanding against the league already with similarities between his situations and the claims of others, and he thinks it is important people be held accountable for preventing he and others from making strides in their careers.

 

"Fighters got to look out for themselves too. And I I'm not getting any younger. I have to try and make something happen out of this situation. If I sacrifice so much and I can't get that back, I want to at least go after them and say look, this is not right, and you guys need to do something about it," Boyington said.

 

For now though, Boyington has no plans on getting out of fighting. He said he has received offers from other organizations, and is looking to get back into the cage soon. His time on the national stage may be coming to a close, but he's not tapping out just yet.

 

"If I'm a free agent, I'm going to capitalize on that, and I'm going to try to fight often," he said. "If I could fight every week I would, because I'd just rack up the paychecks. And the fighting part is just a blessing in disguise."

Jon Alba

Anchor/Sports Director
[email protected]

Jon Alba joined ABC 7 and FOX 22 in September of 2015 to serve as sports director and anchor. He is a graduate of Quinnipiac University, where he served as general manager of the school's television station Q30 Television for two years.

During his tenure, Q30 was named "College Television Station of the Year" by the College Media Association in 2014, and picked up additional national award recognition as well. Jon has been acknowledged by the Society of Professional Journalists for his commitment to sports journalism, including his investigative work while covering Quinnipiac Athletics.

Prior to moving to Maine, Jon was a lifelong resident of New Jersey. There, he formed a passion for covering sports, knowing since age 5 he wanted to tell stories for a living.

In the past, Jon has worked at MLB Network, alongside MLB Advanced Media. Additionally, his work has been featured on AOL Sports. He can be contacted at [email protected] or on Twitter @JonAlba.