- Created on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 19:44
The NBA schedule was released Tuesday, and the two-time defending champions have a soft beginning to the season.
The team opens Oct. 29 at home to Chicago with star guard Derrick Rose returning from a year-long knee injury in a game that will be broadcast by TNT and will feature retiring NBA commissioner David Stern handing out championship rings for the final time. They also play Nov. 1 at retooled Brooklyn and Nov. 7 at home against the Los Angeles Clippers.
But 11 of Miami's first 18 games are at home and just five of those first 18 are against teams that had winning records last season. One of the five is against Boston, which could be dreadful since the Celtics traded stars Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Nets.
When one takes into account Miami's first 21 games, just six are against teams that had winning marks last year.
But many say the NBA season doesn't really get going until Christmas. So perhaps it's good the great majority of Miami's marquee games are Dec. 25 and beyond.
Of course, we'll see if the Heat's Christmas Day game at the Los Angeles Lakers (ABC) is really a marquee outing. The Lakers weren't anything special last season. The team lost Dwight Howard as a free agent to Houston, and Kobe Bryant is recovering from a torn Achilles tendon. It will be the ninth time in the past 10 years Miami has played on Dec. 25.
The Heat won their second straight title last June by defeating San Antonio in the NBA Finals in seven games. Their rematch games with the Spurs will be Jan. 26 at home (ABC) and March 6 at San Antonio (TNT).
Here are some other schedule tidbits for the Heat, who close the 82-game season April 16 at home to Philadelphia:
-- The Heat will have 70 games broadcast on Sun Sports and will make 25 national television appearances, excluding NBA TV. That includes 10 games on ESPN, nine on TNT and six on ABC.
-- As usual, the Heat will play each West team home and away and will have two home games and two road games with 10 East teams. The four East teams the Heat play just three times are Boston and Milwaukee (both twice at home and once on the road) and Cleveland and Philadelphia (both twice on the road and once at home).
-- After playing Indiana just three times in the 2012-13 regular season, the Heat have the Pacers four times. The games are Dec. 11 and March 26 (ESPN) at Indiana and Dec. 18 (ESPN) and April 11 at home. The Heat defeated the Pacers in seven games in last season's Eastern Conference finals.
-- Miami defeated Oklahoma City to win the 2012 Finals. The Heat face the Thunder on Jan. 29 at home (ESPN) and Feb. 20 at Oklahoma City (TNT).
-- Miami's longest homestand will be five games, having one Dec. 14-23 and March 31-April 8. The longest road stretch will be six games, occurring Jan. 9-20 and Feb. 5-20 (with the All-Star break in the middle).
-- The Heat have 17 back-to-back situations.
-- Guard Mike Miller, who was waived by the Heat last month as part of the NBA's amnesty rule and signed by Memphis, is scheduled March 21 to make his only return trip to Miami.
-- Greg Oden, who soon will sign with the Heat as a free agent, was with Portland from 2007-12, although he hasn't played an NBA game since December 2009. He is scheduled to return Dec. 28 to Portland.
-- As champions, the Heat didn't visit the White House last season around a game at Washington. But if President Obama's schedule is open, they could visit this season around a Jan. 15 or April 14 trip to Washington.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50