- Created on Thursday, 23 May 2013 19:25
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)
With Jered Weaver set to return to the Angels' rotation, Blanton could have been feeling pressure after going winless in his first nine starts.
''I've been doing it a long time, why should I feel a sense of urgency now,'' Blanton said.
The right-hander held the Royals to seven hits and two runs in 6 1-3 innings. Trumbo put the Angels up 5-2 in the eighth with his team-leading 11th homer before the Royals made it interesting.
''I thought we showed a lot of life at the end of the game,'' Royals manager Ned Yost said. ''We've got a four-game set, and their closer came in and had to throw close to 40 pitches in the first game of the set, and I thought we had a good approach. Any time you can put the tying run at second base and the winning run at first base in the ninth inning, you've done something, especially when you've been down three.''
Ervin Santana (3-4), who spent 12 seasons in the Angels' organization before being traded during the offseason to the Royals, struck out eight without a walk, but allowed five runs and eight hits - four of which were homers. Chris Iannetta hit one in the fifth.
The Royals scored on ground outs by Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas.
Ernesto Frieri gave up two runs in the ninth on three hits and a walk. Perez, who had three hits, and George Kottaras hit RBI singles before Robert Coello was summoned to get the final out. He retired Alcides Escobar on a fly, to strand two runners for first big league save.
''We won,'' Frieri said. ''That's what matters. That's why I'm happy.''
The Royals have lost 13 of their past 18 games to fall two games below .500, matching their worst record. They have scored three or fewer runs in 10 of the losses.
NOTES: Santana, who allowed a big league high 39 home runs last season, gave up four home runs for the second time in his career. ... Weaver struck out nine and walked none in 5 2-3 innings Wednesday in an extended spring training game at Arizona, allowing one run and six hits against Diamondbacks minor-leaguers. . The Royals optioned RHP Kelvin Herrera, who had given up eight home runs in 20 1-3 innings, to Triple-A Omaha. The Royals recalled RHP Louis Coleman, who had a 1.04 ERA in 14 relief appearances with Omaha. Coleman worked a scoreless ninth against the Angels. . Perez, who missed the previous two games with a bruised right hip, returned to the lineup. . LF Alex Gordon went 0-for-3 to snap his 10-game hitting streak.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- At least 2 killed, 100 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 4 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 8 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 9 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Republican governors eye strong showing in NH primary as voting begins
- Sanders, Republican governors eye comeback in New Hampshire primary
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- CDC discovers new bacteria species that causes Lyme disease
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50