- Created on Wednesday, 07 August 2013 09:52
The former New York Jets guard told FOX Sports on Wednesday morning that he "wrestled" with his decision to agree to terms with Dallas and will not sign the contract. After 10 seasons in the NFL, he's hanging up his cleats.
"I was wrestling with it all night. I was excited, but when you start looking at all the personal factors that go into it and the commitment on the football side and you've been in a different mental state also the past three or four months because no action's been happening, you kind of move on with your life," Moore, 33, said in a phone interview from his new house in New Jersey. "I was happy with that and fine with that. But when you get a call from a coach I care deeply for in (Cowboys offensive coordinator) Bill Callahan, you start to feel it, you get excited and you're finally like, 'I want to do it.'
"But you map out the logistics of it all -- the physical and mental commitment, the tear on your family …"
On Tuesday night, Moore agreed to a one-year deal with a base salary of $1.25 million, a $500,000 signing bonus and $250,000 playing time incentive, according to a source. It was a sign the Cowboys knew they had issues in the middle of their offensive line, with left guard Nate Livings undergoing a pair of knee surgeries in the past six months, a rookie starting at center in Travis Frederick and right guard Mackenzy Bernadeau working his way back from a hamstring injury.
Moore, who was part of the infamous "Butt Fumble" last Thanksgiving in which Jets QB Mark Sanchez slid into Moore, didn't discuss specifics of the deal but confirmed the Cowboys offered him more than just a veteran’s minimum deal. In what turned out to be a tough market for veteran guards, Moore found a handful of teams willing to add him, "but nobody was serious about getting the deal done."
The Cowboys finally were. They worked out a deal with Moore's agent, Deryk Gilmore, on Tuesday. Moore said the most difficult part was telling Callahan, his offensive coordinator with the Jets a few years ago. Gilmore said he didn't have the desire to uproot his family, fly to California for training camp and then spend the season in Dallas.
"I'm a man of my word. I hated letting Bill down," Moore said. "He put the word out to get me there, and I have a lot of respect for him. But I know the Cowboys will move on. They moved on from whoever they moved on before me and they'll move on to somebody else. The game goes on."
Moore said he was in football shape but is now looking forward to getting down to a "normal, healthy person's weight." An attendee of the NFL's business management and entrepreneurial program at Harvard in 2010, he'll begin to explore other career opportunities.
"In the bigger scheme of things," he said, "It's about me, my happiness and my family."
As for the Cowboys, they'll surely now look elsewhere for help at guard. Veteran Brian Waters, who sat out last season after not reporting to the New England Patriots during the offseason, could be an option.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- At least 2 killed, 100 others injured in Germany train collision
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- CDC discovers new bacteria species that causes Lyme disease
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- How a cruise ship navigates a storm
- NYC cop on trial for deadly stairwell shooting breaks down on the stand
- NASA bans the word 'Jesus'
- Governors roar into NH primary, seek to disrupt Rubio's 'Marcomentum'
- Former ISIS sex slaves now army of ‘Sun Ladies’ ready to defeat terror group
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50