- Created on Sunday, 10 March 2013 10:22
The NFL’s new “tampering window” allowing contact between teams and agents for pending free agents from other teams opened early Saturday morning like a half-cocked auction.
You can look and even make an unofficial bid, but you can’t agree to buy.
An NFL memo sent to all 32 teams has placed a chilling effect — at least publicly — on just how much can be accomplished before the start of Tuesday’s free-agent signing period. As first reported by CBS Sports and ESPN, the league has sternly warned that no verbal agreements can be reached between clubs and free agents from other squads.
If the league gets wind of such deals being made or the news becomes public through the media, the NFL has threatened to conduct a tampering investigation that could result in penalties.
The net result: While reports of players being linked with teams will continue as the start of free agency approaches, such information will probably come in a trickle rather than through what some had speculated would be a flood of contract agreements verbally accepted over the weekend.
The “tampering window” was instituted by the NFL this year in hopes of reducing the amount of rampant dialogue that was being done illegally between teams and agents well before the signing period opened.
It would be naïve to think that this move would completely put the kibosh on tampering. As per usual, such contact quietly continued between teams and agents last month at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
However, an official 88-hour negotiating window before the start of the signing period at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday should help set the market value for a slew of players and generate quicker contract agreements either with the current team or elsewhere.
Teams do not have to wait until Tuesday to re-sign their own free agents. Also, club officials still cannot speak directly with players under contract to other clubs before free agency begins.
— Alex Marvez
What's next for Abraham? — 10:16 a.m. ET
The NFL’s active leader in sacks probably won’t be out of work much longer.
Defensive end/outside linebacker John Abraham has taken free-agent visits with Seattle and San Francisco following his recent release by the Atlanta Falcons. Profootballtalk.com reported that New Orleans and Tennessee could be his next stops with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers also showing interest in a 13-year veteran with 122 career sacks.
Here is a look at how the 34-year-old Abraham would fit with all five franchises:
Seattle: Because of the lousy playing surface at Fed-Ex Field, the Seahawks lost top pass-rusher Chris Clemons to a torn anterior cruciate ligament in January’s first-round playoff win over Washington. Clemons is expected to make a full recovery but it’s too early to tell whether he’ll be completely healthy by the start of the regular season. Abraham has experience playing the hybrid LEO position (outside linebacker/defensive end) that ex-Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley says suits the athletic Clemons to a T. Abraham also would serve to bolster the outside pass rush in rotation with Clemons and 2012 rookie standout Bruce Irvin.
San Francisco: Three of San Francisco’s top defenders (Justin Smith, Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks) were banged up entering the postseason. Aldon Smith didn’t have a sack in San Francisco’s final six games after notching 19.5 through Week 15. The decline stems from a shoulder injury as well as the torn triceps that limited Justin Smith’s effectiveness in paving lanes to the quarterback for his teammates. Abraham would join Aldon Smith and Brooks as a trio of pass-rushing threats at outside linebacker.
New Orleans: The Saints are switching to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Rob Ryan. Junior Galette, who was re-signed to a three-year contract Saturday, is being converted from defensive end to man one of the outside linebacker positions. The other OLB spot is up for grabs, although Abraham might not be ideally suited as an every-down starter at this point in his NFL career.
Tennessee: The Titans notched 39 sacks last season, but adding depth at defensive end would be attractive. Derrick Morgan (6.5 sacks) and Kamerion Wimbley (6) led Tennessee’s pass rush in 2012 after the team failed to make a successful run at signing Mario Williams in free agency.
Tampa Bay: Defensive end Michael Bennett appears headed for free agency after a nine-sack season in 2012. Tampa Bay has the salary cap room to re-sign Bennett so either the Bucs knows something that interested suitors don’t or have made a poor talent evaluation. Defensive ends Adrian Clayborn and Da’Quan Bowers were Tampa Bay’s first- and second-round draft picks in 2011. Clayborn is coming off a season-ending knee injury; Bowers was arrested this offseason in Queens, N.Y. for bringing a loaded gun to the airport. Abraham would provide insurance in case there are issues with either player and serve as a nice complement off the bench in pass-rushing situations.
— Alex Marvez
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Mother of Columbine killer Dylan Klebold said she never realized her son was troubled
- Spanish man skipped work for 6 years, still got paid
- Fire guts Kentucky's historic Rabbit Hash General Store
- GOP candidates wake up, reload, resume attacks started in SC debate
- More than 200 college students report mystery stomach illness
- Driver in crash that killed 5 had just left jail after DUI arrest
- 'Deadpool' shatters box office records with $135M opening
- Women rescued trying to cross Atlantic Ocean in rowboat
- Political battle brews over replacing Scalia, as high court decides on immigration, other key issues
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- Prostitute found dead on New York beach likely strangled, Dr. Baden says
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Kanye West's 'ALL CAPS' Twitter rant after negative fashion review
- Mississippi police officer shot in face while investigating armed robbery
- When medication doesn't work: Innovative program eases ADHD symptoms naturally
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50