- Created on Saturday, 26 January 2013 11:49
Between the third and fourth quarters of Miami's 110-88 win Friday night over Detroit at AmericanAirlines Arena, a fan who had been selected for a contest on James' website made a halfcourt hook shot to win the money. With the crowd roaring, James stormed the court and tackled the fan with joy.
"Once he made it, it was instinct," James said. "It didn't matter what consequences came with it. Ain't going to be none. I was excited about it. I'm excited for him. Excited for the moment. It was pretty awesome. That's just who I am."
The fan, Michael Drysch, 50, of McHenry, Ill., had been selected randomly out of 30,000 applicants in a contest sponsored by Carmex and featured on LeBronJames.com. When Drysch made the shot, it also meant the lip-balm company that has a deal with James donated $75,000 to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
"It was great to make the shot and have LeBron coming to say, 'Hi, nice to meet you,'" Drysch said. "He said, 'Great shot.'"
Guard Dwyane Wade has won two titles in his 10 years with the Heat. But he's can't remember seeing anything like that before at AmericanAirlines Arena.
"It was like us when we won the Finals," said Wade, who won titles in 2006 and 2012. "I was listening to the play the coaches were drawing up and I heard screaming going on.
"I don't think I've experienced that since I've been here. It was a great moment. That was a tough shot for anybody to make. Professionals, we try them all the time. For him to step up there, not to stretch, loosen up and to hit a hook shot. All net. You get kind of jealous a little bit."
The always-confident James, though, figured it was a shot he could make.
"Oh yeah. I got that," James said of his repertoire. "Give me enough tries, I'll make that."
Well, Drysch, a computer technician, got one try. He drilled it.
Drysch, who flew to Miami on Thursday, said he'd been practicing a variety of halfcourt shots in the past week and nothing really worked. After he tried a one-handed attempt, he said the shots at least were close.
Drysch said he will use the money for bills and to pay taxes. He was asked if his shot might get him a role in the Heat organization.
"Maybe I'll be an assistant coach or mascot or something," he said.
Heat coach Erik Spoelstra didn't see the shot. But then he looked up and saw his star player bowling over a guy at halfcourt.
"I just heard the eruption and I turned and saw LeBron absolutely tackle him," Spoelstra said. "I had no idea what was going on. I figured he hit it, but the tackle blew it away.
"I think the fan, while he'll love the (money), I think having that on video, LeBron James tackling you at halfcourt in front of 20,000, I think that will be the longer lasting memory."
"I think it was an out-out-body experience," Wade said of James tackling Drysch. "I'm sure the tackle from LeBron will rank up there with one of his best moments."
Forget just Drysch. James' tackle figures to rank as one of the most entertaining sports moments for some time.
Chris Tomasson can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @christomasson
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- At least 2 killed, 100 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 4 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 8 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 9 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Republican governors eye strong showing in NH primary as voting begins
- Sanders, Republican governors eye comeback in New Hampshire primary
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- CDC discovers new bacteria species that causes Lyme disease
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50