- Created on Saturday, 05 January 2013 07:21
Robin van Persie came off the bench to score a last-minute equalizer as Manchester United rescued a 2-2 draw at West Ham after Joe Cole had delivered a vintage display on his return to Upton Park in a thrilling FA Cup third-round tie.
Cole, 31, returned to his boyhood club on a free transfer from Liverpool this week, and rolled back the years as he set up a double for defender James Collins with superb crosses from the left flank in each half to turn the tie around after Tom Cleverley had fired United into the lead on 23 minutes.
However, as the clocked ticked into stoppage time, Dutchman Van Persie, who had started on the bench, ghosted into the right side of the penalty area, before drilling a low shot into the bottom corner to force a replay.
Danny Welbeck and Javier Hernandez had opened up in attack for the Barclays Premier League leaders, who also had Nemanja Vidic and Paul Scholes in the side, with Rio Ferdinand, Antonio Valencia, Ryan Giggs and Ashley Young all joining Van Persie on the bench in reserve.
It was a bright start by United as Cleverley tried to release Hernandez down the left, but the ball rolled through to West Ham keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.
The hosts were cut open again on nine minutes when Chris Smalling got clear on the right and cut a low pass through the penalty area, which was just in front of Hernandez.
West Ham suddenly burst into life when Guy Demel darted down the right and his cross was put behind.
From the resulting corner, Alou Diarra's downward header was nodded off the line by Scholes and Carlton Cole could not put the rebound away as Vidic cleared.
Captain Kevin Nolan, who missed the Barclays Premier League win here over Norwich on New Year's Day through suspension, then just failed to get on the end of a flick into the six-yard box from Carlton Cole.
United thought they had gone ahead on 16 minutes when Danny Welbeck swept home a low cross from Hernandez, but the offside flag was up against the Mexican.
West Ham defender Daniel Potts then hacked a goal-bound effort from Vidic off the line after a corner caused more mayhem in the hosts' penalty area.
It was 1-0 to United 23 minutes into the match.
More slick play down the right from Rafael released Hernandez. His low center went all the way across into the path of the advancing Cleverley, who swept a brilliant first-time effort back past the keeper into the bottom corner.
The Irons immediately went on the offensive.
Joe Cole's free-kick picked out Ricardo Vaz Te, but his tame header was straight at the keeper.
Collins showed him how it should be done on 27 minutes as the home side leveled.
The ball was pushed out to Joe Cole on the left, and his floated center was met with a powerful header by center-back Collins, which left United keeper David De Gea rooted to the spot as the ball flew into the net.
Even though they soaked up plenty of pressure, the visitors remained dangerous on the break.
Welbeck sprinted away down the left and on into the West Ham penalty area before unleashing a fierce angled drive which Jaaskelainen beat away.
At the start of the second half, Cleverley was found in space on the edge of the area, but shot wildly over the bar.
Joe Cole refused to give up on a loose ball at the right side of the penalty area, hooking it back from the goal-line and into the six-yard box, where Carlton Cole glanced a header towards the far corner which De Gea collected at full stretch.
West Ham turned the tie around on the hour mark.
Joe Cole was again the provider, as he floated over a perfectly-weighted ball from the left which Collins again met with a powerful header into the far corner.
With 23 minutes left, Sir Alex Ferguson had seen enough, making a double change as Van Persie and Valencia replaced Hernandez and Scholes.
On 77 minutes, Joe Cole was replaced by Matthew Taylor, leaving to a standing ovation from the home support.
It was the away fans, however, who were cheering in the final minute as Van Persie broke into the right side of the penalty area on to a superb cross-field pass from fellow substitute Ryan Giggs, held off James Tomkins and expertly drilled the ball into the far corner to force a replay back at Old Trafford.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50