- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 00:57
The Patriots quarterback dropped the showdown to its knees early.
It was done by the middle of the third quarter, finished by Brady’s fourth touchdown pass in what ultimately ended up being a 42-14 buttkicking of Houston rather than a showdown. He now has 29 this season and almost 4,000 yards and 10 W's.
This would be The NFL MVP except for two things:
1. Peyton Manning returned from what many in the NFL believed to be career-ending neck surgery. Included in this doubt were his Colts who released him this offseason. He returned to be really, really good, Manning-level good and lead the Broncos to the playoffs. As a result, many have his name already penciled in as MVP.
2. We are talking about Brady and, for whatever reason, we tend to overlook consistent greatness when figuring year-end awards.
This is not to say Peyton is a guarantee. Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has gathered steam in recent weeks and rightfully so. He has been amazing, another level beyond amazing when you consider he is doing this on a reconstructed knee. Manning’s replacement in Indy, Andrew Luck, has been mentioned, as has Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan and Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. All of them provide good alternate theories. None will win.
This MVP is coming down to Manning vs. Brady, which is delicious considering how many great battles these eventual Hall of Famers have allowed us to be bystanders to over the years.
And so we have to decide between Brady being Brady or Manning shutting up all of his doubters. Guess who will win?
Before we just hand this to Manning, though, let us take a moment to consider the candidacy of not-so-young Brady. His 2012 argument, while lacking in emotion and narrative, has games like Monday. It was not simply the throws he made, the pass to Brandon Lloyd in particular. It was not simply how he handled what until Monday had been a ruthless Texans defense — look at how he handled a dirty pocket on the long pass to Wes Welker that set up New England’s first touchdown. It was not about how he had a one-loss Houston basically done early in the third quarter after yet another touchdown pass. It was not even his fist pump after he went sliding for the first down to end the third quarter, although, that was really cool to see. It is just how often he does things to win games and how rare it is he does things to lose them.
He has four interceptions this season. Four. This is insane when you consider really good quarterbacks in this league, guys like Tony Romo, have done that in a game.
And herein lies the beauty and the downfall of Brady. He is so consistently great that we forget to reward him for his mastery of his position. No really, we do.
Guess how many MVPs Brady has won in his 13 seasons? Two.
How is that even possible? He has had an argument almost every single year he has played, an argument made by stats and Patriots W's and Super Bowls and just overall greatness.
This is not a case of him being overlooked because he flies under the radar. The guy is married to Gisele. He is not flying below any radars. His other significant other probably plays a bigger role in the under-awarding of Brady. The tendency is to say “Well, he has Bill Belichick,” which is fine but Belichick is such a good coach in part because he has Brady. They are intertwined, and this should not cost Brady what I believe to be a deserved MVP this season.
If he does not win, this is more about our tendency to overlook consistent greatness is favor of “the story.”
Brady’s story is old. We have heard it 1,000 times about how he was not drafted until the sixth round. He is no longer an underdog so this story does not really even resonate. Nor is Brady coming back from anything like Peyton or Peterson. He was not cut by a franchise he had been synonymous with like Peyton, or left for football dead like Peyton, or missed an entire season with a neck injury like Peyton. He is just really, really good. The numbers suggest he has been better than Peyton. And that is the MVP.
We would be wise not to forget him.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- Cops arrest teen for hack and leak of DHS, FBI data
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Fox News Reporting: Voter Revolt
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50