- Created on Wednesday, 03 July 2013 22:35
"I think the big thing with him is just getting the opportunity," said Feldman, his teammate in Texas. "He's always been a really talented and strong guy. He'd go down to the minor leagues and do the same thing every time. But then he'd get back up, and it was kind of inconsistent with the playing time. It was a different situation over there, obviously."
Feldman wasn't bad in his first appearance for Baltimore, pitching six solid innings. And the Orioles hung on to win for the fifth time in six games after the White Sox threatened against Jim Johnson in the ninth.
Chicago had the tying runs on after Conor Gillaspie and Jeff Keppinger singled with one out, putting men on first and second. Johnson struck out Gordon Beckham looking and retired pinch-hitter Jordan Danks on a bouncer to the mound for his 29th save in 34 attempts.
Davis delivered the big hits for Baltimore.
"I think it's more a feeling of comfort than anything else," he said. "I feel comfortable in the box. I feel like I'm seeing the ball well and getting good pitches to hit. I feel comfortable hitting with no strikes, one strike or two strikes."
Already the club record holder for home runs before the All-Star break, he added to it leading off the fourth against Hector Santiago when he drove the first pitch just inside the foul pole to the left-field bullpen. That gave the Orioles a 2-1 lead, which Beckham wiped out when he led off the fifth with his first homer, but Davis came through again with one out in the eighth.
"They've got a guy that's hitting .330," Beckham said. "Driving in a million runs and hitting a million home runs. He's really good. It's tough to say anything about our side, when he's doing what he's doing."
Baltimore loaded the bases against Ramon Troncoso in the ninth, but Manny Machado forced the runner at the plate and Jones popped out to end the threat.
Feldman looked sharp for Baltimore after being acquired in a trade with the Cubs the previous day. The right-hander allowed two runs and six hits and struck out six without a walk despite staying up until about 4 a.m. after flying back from Oakland — mostly because of the excitement.
He knew when he signed a one-year deal with the rebuilding Cubs there was a good chance he'd be dealt if he pitched well, and that's exactly what happened. He landed on a contender that's now 11 games over .500, matching a season high.
"I'm going to miss those guys, but I'm looking forward to a fresh start here and trying to get into the playoffs and do some things in the postseason," Feldman said.
Santiago pitched well, giving up two runs and five hits in seven innings. The left-hander tied a season-high with nine strikeouts while walking two after getting hit hard in his previous start against Cleveland. But on a night when the Stanley Cup made an appearance, with the Blackhawks' Patrick Sharp and Brandon Bollig throwing out first pitches, the White Sox took their 24th loss in 33 games.
"I think if there's anything that could go wrong this year for the White Sox, it's gone wrong," said Crain, one of Chicago's top trade assets.
NOTES: The Orioles optioned IF Danny Valencia to Triple-A Norfolk to make room for Feldman. ... RHP Kevin Gausman will remain in bullpen for now, although manager Buck Showalter indicated Baltimore's top pitching prospect could wind up back in the rotation at some point. "We have 70-something games left," he said. "We have to do some things between now and the All-Star break. He and Zach (Britton), both of them have options, we like them both on the club. I think these things kind of solve themselves." ... With Konerko and Crain on the DL, the White Sox recalled 3B Brent Morel from Triple-A Charlotte and purchased the contract of LHP David Purcey from the minor league club. ... Rios picked up his 200th steal when he swiped second in the first inning. ... The start of the game was delayed seven minutes by rain. ... LHP Zach Britton (2-2, 4.50 ERA) starts Thursday for Baltimore, with LHP Jose Quintana (3-2, 3.97) pitching for Chicago.
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Man arrested for sexual assault, his victim is 11 year old girl
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- Final Oregon refuge occupier turns himself in
- World's longest-surviving heart transplant patient dies
- 'House of Cards': It's Frank vs. Claire in the Season 4 trailer
- Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
- Meryl Streep responds to questions about diversity: 'We’re all Africans really'
- Downing of EgyptAir 990 inspired 9/11 plot, says Al Qaeda newsletter
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50