MANCHESTER, England – Statement released by David Moyes on Wednesday, a day after being fired as manager of Manchester United after less than a season in charge.
- Created on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 08:12
"To have been appointed as manager of Manchester United, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, was and remains something of which I will always be incredibly proud.
"Taking charge after such a long period of continuous stability and success at the club was inevitably going to be a significant challenge, but it was one which I relished and never had a second thought about taking on.
"The scale of the manager's job at United is immense, but I have never stepped away from hard work and the same applies to my coaching staff. I thank them for their dedication and loyalty throughout the last season.
"We were fully focused and committed to the process of the fundamental rebuilding that is required for the senior squad. This had to be achieved whilst delivering positive results in the Barclays Premier League and the Champions League. However, during this period of transition, performances and results have not been what Manchester United and its fans are used to or expect, and I both understand and share their frustration.
"In my short time at the club I have learnt what special places Old Trafford and Carrington are. I would like to thank the United staff for making me feel so welcome and part of the United family from my first day. And of course thank you to those fans who have supported me throughout the season. I wish you and the club all the best for the future.
"I have always believed that a manager never stops learning during his career and I know I will take invaluable experience from my time as United's manager. I remain proud to have led the team to the quarterfinals of this year's Champions League and I remain grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for believing in my ability and giving me the chance to manage Manchester United."
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Love and Zombies on Valentine's Day
- Belfast Bay Inn voted one of the most romantic
- Winter Beach Ball to be held in Bangor
- Two in Sanford arrested for heroin trafficking
- Portland stabbing happened after car accident
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- City workers in San Diego barred from uttering 'biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- San Diego backs off ban of 'gender-biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- Sanders aims to boost appeal among minority voters after NH win
- Deputies wounded, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- Official: Top Clinton aides also handled ‘top secret’ intel on server
- Missouri boy, 3, found dead in frigid van
- 'The View' hosts 'Feeling the Bern' after Bernie Sanders sit-down
- Johnny Depp stars as Donald Trump in hour-long 'Funny or Die' spoof
- Iranian TV anchor flees country, citing sexual harassment from her boss
- Missouri police hunt for boy, 3, as frigid weather grips search area
- 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' Child Star Tommy Kelly dead at 90
- Michigan teen's 'promposal' to disabled best friend goes viral
- Emails appear to show how key Clinton aide manipulated media coverage
- Trump pushes back on newspaper attacks, says Christie should stay in race
- Body of 22-year-old found in Walmart lot may have been there for months
- Music publisher doesn't own 'Happy Birthday,' has to pay back $14 million
- The Sherp ATV is the life-size Tonka truck you've been craving since childhood
- Matt Lauer asks Katie Holmes about his interview with Tom Cruise
- 'NCIS' recap: The dye is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- 'NCIS' recap: The die is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- 'NCIS' recap: The 'dye' is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- Mayim Bialik flashes Piers Morgan two times on TV
- Texas nanny allegedly held hostage at home, forced to work 20-hour shifts
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50