- Created on Friday, 28 December 2012 13:12
Dana White Finds MMA Drug Testing Better Than MLB or NFL Tests, But Thinks Marijuana Punishments Are ‘Crazy’
- Link: http://nesn.com/2012/12/dana-white-finds-mma-drug-testing-better-than-mlb-or-nfl-tests-but-thinks-marijuana-punishments-are-crazy/" class="block-60 email-60"/ target="_blank">
While there are a number of sports dealing with performance-enhancing drug problems, mixed martial arts faces a unique situation, and that’s something UFC president Dana White is grappling with.
PEDs are used mainly for athletes to gain a competitive edge, and while that may be frowned upon in any competition, the use of such PEDs in MMA is particularly alarming, mainly because of the repercussions. While using PEDs can cause inflated numbers in certain sports, fighters using them in MMA could lead to lethal results.
White understands just how dangerous PEDS in MMA can be, which is why he’s all for cracking down on banned substances. In fact, he thinks the sport’s current testing — which involves testing by state athletic commissions — is better than what the MLB and NFL are currently using as their testing policies.
“Do you think if they were really testing all the guys in baseball, do you really think there would be a [expletive] baseball game every day of the week?” White said to reporters at the MGM Grand on Thursday. “There wouldn’t be, man. They would be pulling guys up from the minors every day. It would be crazy. There will always be a thing in sports where, someone’s trying to get an edge on the other guy. You know? As an owner or a commissioner or whatever you want to call it, you do the very best you can do.
“PEDs have been around since people have started making money in sports,” White continued. “And, I don’t know what the real answer is to crack down on this whole thing. All I know is we are regulated by the government, they come in and they test our guys, that’s a fact. However you think, if you think football and baseball are really knocking it out of the park, pun intended, you’re crazy.”
White has faced questions recently about whether the UFC should adopt a random, year-round drug screening process. But while he’s all for increasing the safety of the sport, he also thinks such a policy would lead to an increase in marijuana-related tests.
“Forget about PEDs,” White said. “If we get into this system that we’re talking about where we would randomly test these guys, do you know how many guys would probably test positive for marijuana? It would be probably off the charts.
“If you randomly test them and then [the results] came out, you’d get the exact same suspension [for using marijuana] as you do for using PEDs.”
Clearly, a fighter smoking marijuana isn’t as dangerous as a fighter using anabolic steroids, so White’s point is certainly understandable. That’s why he thinks the penalties that come with each type of transgression should be different. The problem lies in figuring out a system that works best.
“But [giving fighters similar suspensions for using both PEDs and marijuana] is just crazy,” White said after acknowledging the danger of PEDs in MMA. “It’s so easy to sit there and say, ‘Here’s what you should do. Here’s how you fix it,’ but there are so many flaws in the system, it’s just not that easy. It’s not just, ‘Hey, let’s sign up this company [to do testing].’ There’s a whole [expletive] of things that would come about.”
White thinks if a random system was put into place, the suspensions handed out amongst fighters would skyrocket.
“Everybody thinks that if you did this random testing you’d catch so many guys on PEDs,” White said. “No. You’d catch more of the guys on marijuana. That’s where you’d really bust a lot of guys. … We have 475 guys under contract and probably 400 of them would be out with marijuana.”
Obviously, White has quite the conundrum on his hands. On the one hand, he wants to make an inherently dangerous sport a little less dangerous. But on the other, he realizes watching the majority of his fighters get suspended for smoking reefer probably isn’t the wisest decision, either.
Good luck figuring it all out, Dana. You’ll need it.
Thumbnail photo via Facebook/Dana White
Photo of the Day
The ball probably isn’t the most reliable place to sit.
Quote of the Day
I think I’m a good fit in Boston. It’s going to be fun playing with [Dustin] Pedroia. I’ve played against him, but to actually get to play with a good second baseman is going to a really good opportunity for me.
–New Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew, who thinks very highly of Dustin Pedroia — and perhaps very little of the other second basemen he’s played with.
Tweet of the Day
Save it, Dwyane.
I’m far from being a dirty player + my intent was never 2 kick Ramon Sessions. I just reacted to the contact that I got from him….
— Way of WADE (@DwyaneWade) December 28, 2012
Video of the Day
Special teams! Special teams! Special teams!
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50