WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Brittney Martin had 20 points and 20 rebounds, leading Oklahoma State past Purdue 73-66 on Monday and into the Notre Dame Regional semifinals.
- Created on Monday, 24 March 2014 23:31
The Cowgirls (25-8) won their second straight, ending a 15-game stretch in which they had alternated wins and losses. It's the first time since 2008 and the third time Oklahoma State has ever reached the NCAA's Sweet 16. It will face top-seeded Notre Dame on Saturday in South Bend, Ind.
And it came on a night the fifth-seeded Cowgirls lost star point guard Tiffany Bias for nearly 10 minutes in the second half with what appeared to be a left leg or foot injury.
Fourth-seed Purdue (22-9) was led by Whitney Bays with 21 points and 13 rebounds.
After Bias left, Purdue closed to 52-46, but the Cowgirls regained control with a 9-4 run and never let Purdue get close.
Beating Purdue on its home court, where the Boilermakers are now 20-8 all-time in NCAA tournament games, was a huge step for a program that lost its head coach and an assistant coach in a fatal plane crash 2½ year ago.
Since then, Oklahoma State has made steady progress — winning the 2012 WNIT title, taking a double-digit lead in the second half of last year's second round game before losing at Duke and now finally returning to the NCAA regionals.
The Boilermakers, meanwhile, have lost four straight second-round games — three straight to No. 5 seeds with two of those coming at Mackey Arena. Senior guard Courtney Moses scored 11 points in her final game but did make two 3-pointers to break Katie Gearlds' career record. Moses, who entered the game tied with Gearlds at 238, finished with 240.
But the usually stout Boilermakers never really got in sync. They shot 37.7 percent from the field and had 18 turnovers.
Meanwhile, Martin had another huge night for Oklahoma State and LaShawn Jones added 16 points and 12 rebounds.
Oklahoma State seized control early and dictated the game for most of the rest of the night.
It took its first lead during an 8-0 run that gave the Cowgirls an early 17-10 lead.
The Boilermakers charged back with a 10-2 run to take a 20-19 lead on scored on a layup.
But Oklahoma State answered with a 9-2 run to retake the lead and never let go. The Cowgirls led 38-31 at the half, opened the second half on a 9-1 spurt and eventually hung on.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- Cops arrest teen for hack and leak of DHS, FBI data
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Fox News Reporting: Voter Revolt
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in murder-suicide at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50