(SportsNetwork.com) - Andrew Cashner tries to follow up a brilliant outing from the last time he took the ball when the San Diego Padres continue a four- game series with the Colorado Rockies at Petco Park.
- Created on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 10:44
Cashner picked up his first win of the season on Friday against Detroit, as he struck out 11 in a one-hit shutout over the Detroit Tigers to improve to 1-1 on the year, while lowering his ERA to 1.29.
"He was incredible. He had the kind of stuff where something special could happen. You saw it right from the beginning," said Padres third baseman Chase Headley.
The Padres, of course, are the only Major League team without a no-hitter.
"It's one of my goals," Cashner said after the game. "I definitely want a no- hitter."
Cashner has had trouble with the Rockies over the course of his career, as he is 0-3 in nine games (4 starts) with a 7.16 ERA.
Colorado, meanwhile, will counter with lefty Jorge De La Rosa, who is 0-2 with a 9.69 ERA. De La Rosa was rocked on Friday in San Francisco to the tune of six runs and four hits in just 4 1/3 innings.
De La Rosa has 16 strikeouts in 13 innings pitched this season, but has failed to make it out of the fifth inning in any of his three starts.
He could find some success on Wednesday, as he owns a 7-2 lifetime mark versus the Padres with a 4.92 ERA in 19 games (15 starts). In seven games (5 starts) in San Diego, De La Rosa is 3-1 with a 2.56 ERA and has held the Padres to a .195 batting average.
The only pitchers who have pitched 25 or more innings at Petco and have lower batting averages against: Felix Hernandez (.177), Ricky Nolasco (.178), Ubaldo Jimenez (.188) and Clayton Kershaw (.194).
Colorado can only hope De La Rosa delivers the way Juan Nicasio did on Tuesday, as the right-hander tossed six solid innings in the Rockies' 3-2 win.
Nicasio (2-0) gave up two runs on six hits with three strikeouts, while Wilin Rosario, Nolan Arenado and DJ LeMahieu each drove in a run for the Rockies, who rebounded from Monday's disappointing loss.
"We needed Juan to get through that sixth, that was critical. I was a little concerned at that point, but he settled in," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
In Monday's opener, the Padres scored two runs on a wild pitch and a bad throw in the eighth inning to take the game, 5-4.
Robbie Erlin (1-1) gave up all three runs on six hits with a walk and seven strikeouts for the Padres, who had won four of five coming in. Seth Smith and Jedd Gyorko each drove in a run.
"The second time through the lineup, I just felt myself trying to do too much, overthrowing. That's when I lose command of the ball," Erlin said.
Colorado went 12-7 versus San Diego last season.
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- M1 Abrams tank makes cameo in Iranian-backed terror group's video
- Hundreds of California homes, buildings used plans drafted by 2 phony engineers, say authorities
- Candace Cameron Bure is uncomfortable with foul language on ‘The View’
- Man killed by meteorite in India, say government officials
- Top intel official confirms ISIS made, used chemical weapons
- NASA releases stunning 360-degree Mars video
- Liam Neeson admits to dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- North Korean satellite reportedly 'tumbling in orbit,' making it useless
- Texas prosecutor busted for drunken driving
- Sanders closing Clinton's national polling lead, as NH votes
- Man trapped under avalanche pulled out 6 days later
- Teen stabbed to death had been grounded from social media, dad says
- What kind of America do Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders think we live in?
- 'OITNB' actress Taryn Manning sues NYC for $10M for 'false arrest'
- Iowa Democrats stonewalling on vote totals, but past numbers were available
- Sylvester Stallone almost boycott the Oscars
- Sylvester Stallone almost joined Oscars boycott
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1T budget plan
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50