- Created on Saturday, 11 May 2013 13:27
ST. LOUIS (AP)
Adam Wainwright carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning and was one out from the St. Louis Cardinals' second straight one-hitter over the suddenly punchless Colorado Rockies in a 3-0 victory Saturday.
The Rockies had been hitless in 49 consecutive at-bats before Nolan Arenado lined a clean hit to center field with one out in the eighth. Eric Young led off Friday night's game with a broken-bat single off rookie Shelby Miller then failed to put a runner on until Todd Helton walked with one out in the fifth inning a day later.
The 49 at-bats is the longest hitless stretch since Sept. 25-27, 1981, when the Los Angeles Dodgers went 50 at-bats without a knock, according to STATS.
Wainwright doffed his cap in appreciation during a prolonged standing ovation from a sellout crowd of 43,050, then quickly retired the next two hitters.
Wainwright (5-2) gave up a two-out single to Dexter Fowler and matched his career best with a two-hitter.
Wainwright struck out seven for his second shutout of the season and sixth of his career. The Rockies have been shut out for 26 consecutive innings since Carlos Gonzalez hit a first-inning sacrifice fly against the Yankees on Thursday, and have had just one runner in scoring position the first two games of the series.
The Rockies entered Saturday as the highest-scoring team in the National League.
Wainwright has won five of his last six starts, recapturing his form as the staff ace in his second season coming off reconstructive elbow surgery. He has thrown a pair of two-hitters, the last on Aug. 6, 2010 at Florida.
Wainwright bounced back from his lone poor outing when he gave up five runs in 5 1/3 innings at Milwaukee his last time out. He's 5-1 against the Rockies.
Wainwright and Miller retired 40 consecutive batters with 18 strikeouts before Helton walked. He was stranded when Arenado fouled out and Reid Brignac grounded out.
All things appeared headed toward the no-hitter after Matt Carpenter made a sliding stab of a grounder about 10 feet onto the outfield grass behind second base for the first out in the eighth. Wainright smiled broadly at the play. Arenado, though, then singled.
The Cardinals loaded the bases with one out in the second and fourth, both times with the eighth and ninth-place hitter coming up. Both times, Jhoulys Chacin (3-2) escaped by striking out Pete Kozma and Wainwright.
Matt Holliday, Craig and Molina hit consecutive singles off Josh Outman in the seventh to make it 3-0.
The Cardinals haven't thrown a no-hitter since Bud Smith at San Diego in 2001, and haven't had one at home since Bob Forsch threw the second of his career on Sept. 26, 1983, against the Expos.
Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki have each struck out five times the first two games.
Carlos Beltran, 1 for 8 with double-play balls against Chacin, was not in the lineup. ... Lefty Jaime Garcia (4-1, 2.25) faces Jorge De La Rosa (3-3, 3.52) in the series finale Sunday. .. Chacin's comebacker to end the third ended a string of eight straight strikeouts by the pitcher's spot on both teams to start the series. ... At the start of Miller's one-hitter on Friday, the Rockies' 3-4-5 hitters took eight consecutive called strikes. ... Michael Cuddyer missed his third straight game with neck stiffness.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Spanish man skipped work for 6 years, still got paid
- Fire guts Kentucky's historic Rabbit Hash General Store
- GOP candidates wake up, reload, resume attacks started in SC debate
- More than 200 college students report mystery stomach illness
- Driver in crash that killed 5 had just left jail after DUI arrest
- 'Deadpool' shatters box office records with $135M opening
- Women rescued trying to cross Atlantic Ocean in rowboat
- Political battle brews over replacing Scalia, as high court decides on immigration, other key issues
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- Prostitute found dead on New York beach likely strangled, Dr. Baden says
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Kanye West's 'ALL CAPS' Twitter rant after negative fashion review
- Mississippi police officer shot in face while investigating armed robbery
- When medication doesn't work: Innovative program eases ADHD symptoms naturally
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50