(SportsNetwork.com) - Thanks to a rainout on Tuesday, the Philadelphia Phillies have had an extra day to think about their brutal loss to the Atlanta Braves in the opener of this series between NL East rivals.
- Created on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 10:44
The two clubs resume a weather-shortened three-game set on Wednesday night.
In Monday's contest, the Braves extended a 2-1 lead in the eighth inning when Evan Gattis, Dan Uggla and Andrelton Simmons connected on three straight solo homers, with Gattis hitting his second longball of the game.
The lead quickly disappeared in the home half as Luis Avilan walked leadoff man Tony Gwynn Jr. and gave up singles to Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley to load the bags. After striking out Ryan Howard, Marlon Byrd poked a two-run single to right. Domonic Brown followed with a three-run home run to right field, giving the Phils the lead.
With closer Jonathan Papelbon unavailable, Jake Diekman got the nod in the ninth for the Phillies, but he loaded the bases before eventually serving up a game-winning grand slam to Uggla.
David Carpenter shut the door for his second career save and first with the Braves.
"You don't see Avilan give up runs very much at all, much less four, so that was very rare. We wanted to get his back since he's picked us up so much," Uggla said.
The Braves have won four straight as they were coming off a three-game sweep of Washington, while the Phillies failed to hold momentum from a three-game sweep of Miami over the weekend.
"It was nice to see the comeback. The guys battled, had good at-bats, put a five spot up there and answered what they did," said Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg. "Just weren't able to close the door in the ninth."
Cliff Lee was scheduled to go for the Phillies in Tuesday's game that was washed out by rain and will take the mound tonight, while the Braves will opt to skip their scheduled starter from Tuesday, David Hale, in favor of Julio Teheran.
Lee, who went 3-2 with a 2.29 earned run average in five starts versus the Braves last season, opened up the 2014 campaign with consecutive wins before suffering a 6-2 loss versus Milwaukee on Thursday. The veteran lefty allowed three runs on eight hits over six innings, fanning eight without a walk.
Lee, who has a 5.50 ERA on the year, has struck out 15 batters this season to just one walk in 18 innings.
Teheran, meanwhile, split his first two starts of the season, including a win at Washington on April 5, but struggled a bit in a rematch with the Nationals on Friday. The righty did not factor into a 7-6 win as he allowed five runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits and a walk. He also struck out only one batter.
Teheran, 23, is 1-2 with a 5.79 ERA in four previous meetings with the Phillies, all but one of those starts.
The Braves had gone 23-14 versus the Phillies over the previous two seasons, but lost five of nine in Philadelphia in 2013.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Mother of Columbine killer Dylan Klebold said she never realized her son was troubled
- Spanish man skipped work for 6 years, still got paid
- Fire guts Kentucky's historic Rabbit Hash General Store
- GOP candidates wake up, reload, resume attacks started in SC debate
- More than 200 college students report mystery stomach illness
- Driver in crash that killed 5 had just left jail after DUI arrest
- 'Deadpool' shatters box office records with $135M opening
- Women rescued trying to cross Atlantic Ocean in rowboat
- Political battle brews over replacing Scalia, as high court decides on immigration, other key issues
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- Prostitute found dead on New York beach likely strangled, Dr. Baden says
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Kanye West's 'ALL CAPS' Twitter rant after negative fashion review
- Mississippi police officer shot in face while investigating armed robbery
- When medication doesn't work: Innovative program eases ADHD symptoms naturally
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50