- Created on Saturday, 06 April 2013 17:55
Longest. Week. Ever.
A broken leg so bad you can't look at it. A coach acting so outrageously you can't stop looking at it. A referee boss allegedly putting out a $5K bounty on a coach, then trying to say it was a joke.
College hoops was all that anyone could talk about this week, and yet it wasn't the teams or the Final Four games that were being talked about.
Thankfully, after all that hoopla, the games are here. There's a Cinderella team still alive, Wichita State, making its second trip to the Final Four and first in 65 years — facing an inspired top-seeded Louisville team (Follow it LIVE!) with one goal: #winforware, in honor of injured guard Kevin Ware. And there are mighty Syracuse and Michigan teams making triumphant returns to the Final Four, with one heading to the title game after tonight's showdown.
Kevin Ware's in the house in Atlanta. The sophomore guard, who played his high school ball here, said he's doing well and has 8 to 12 weeks on crutches, then begins his rehab.
The fans are out in full force and showing lots of love for Ware. Check out more great shots from the Final Four.
Are the Cards already missing Ware? Wichita State wingman Cleanthony Early has the game's first five points as the Shockers score the first eight, giving the Cards their biggest deficit of the tournament. But Cards come back with nine straight as Shockers go almost four minutes without a point.
Early throws down fast-break dunk for first highlight-reel play of the game. Louisville goes almost five minutes without a bucket.
The fans certainly are on their game:
Phil Jackson is watching and analyzing ("I like the aggressive play by both teams..mistakes are going to be the key to who wins the game.") and having a Final Four party with some familiar friends. He tweeted a pic that will make Lakers fans feel sentimental:
The Zen Master is even dropping some knowledge. Can't wait 'til he starts tweeting books for each of us to read.
How many people know what a wheat shock really is? @krambis when I was a kid I helped my uncle bring in the harvest-he used a threasher.— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) April 6, 2013
first you had to cut the grain and put in in a shock and then transport it to the threasher. the combine did all the jobs at one time.— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) April 6, 2013
CLOCK STRIKING MIDNIGHT ON CINDERELLA?
The ninth-seeded Wichita State Shockers have played second fiddle to FGCU in the Cinderella category, but with the Eagles bowing out in the Sweet 16, the Shockers have the underdog bandwagon all to themselves.
They need all the support they can get against the top-seeded Cards. Can they pull off another stunner? Here are three reasons why they will ... and three why they won't.
Besides the motivation to win for Ware (how much will they miss him?), Louisville has a nasty full-court press that Coach Rick Pitino developed alongside Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim almost 40 years ago. And if the Cards reach Monday's championship game, Pitino could be crowned a champion and made a Hall of Famer on the same day.
What's the key ingredient to the Cards' success? It's not that defense, FOXSports.com's Reid Forgrave writes, it's ... love.
CAN MICHIGAN SOLVE SYRACUSE'S ZONE?
Louisville isn't the only team with tough-as-nails defense. Syracuse has stymied teams with its zone, and now a Michigan team with a ton of weapons will try to shoot it apart. (How do you beat it? Coaches weigh in)
Can the Wolverines stop Syracuse? Here are three reasons they will ... and three they won't.
Is this Michigan team better than the Fab Five? We break it down.
GOT ALL THE ANSWERS?
Then take our Final Four quiz, and see just how much you really know.
IF YOU MISSED IT ...
The week was dominated by Ware's recovery from the most gruesome injury ever suffered at the NCAA Tournament, and the Rutgers scandal that led to the firing of Coach Rice and the resignation of AD Tim Pernetti.
Jason Whitlock wrote that this was another example of how NCAA power corrupts. Meanwhile, Pac-12 ref boss Ed Rush also resigned after a report that he offered a $5,000 bounty to anyone who gave Arizona coach Sean Miller a technical or ejected him.
While Rutgers went through hell, Ware had a much more comfortable spotlight, even chatting with David Letterman and doing the Top 10 List.
Ware also got a new puppy, appropriately named Scar:
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Florence Henderson talks 'tough' childhood, why she became a hypnotherapist
- Fuel van without driver strikes plane at Boston airport
- HGTV stars release country music song, video 'Hold On'
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- Clinton, Sanders clash over Obama, more at testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50