- Created on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 16:15
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP)
Gary Harris scored 15 points and Keith Appling added 14 points before leaving the game with an injury to help No. 12 Michigan State bounce back from a poor first half to beat No. 18 Minnesota 61-50 Wednesday night.
Appling left the court with 1:17 left, holding his right shoulder after getting tied up with Joe Coleman. He returned to the bench in the final minute.
The Spartans (19-4 8-2 Big Ten) moved into a second-place tie with No. 3 Michigan, whom they host Tuesday night. They picked up their eighth win in nine games since losing the conference opener against the Golden Gophers (17-6, 5-5) on the road.
Michigan State took control of the rematch with a 21-4 run - after trailing by five points early in the second half - to take a 41-29 lead.
The Gophers didn't have a scorer in double figures until Austin Hollins' 3-pointer with 3:38 left pulled them within five points. Hollins finished with 11 points. Coleman was one of his three teammates with nine points.
The Spartans pulled away with some shots and stops.
Appling made a layup, Adreian Payne connected on two free throws and Harris had a three-point play to put them ahead by 11 points with 1:35 to go. Payne blocked a shot and Derrick Nix had a steal during the victory-sealing stretch.
A fired-up crowd got quiet when Appling left the game in another potential setback for a banged-up team and roared when he jogged back to the bench with 40 seconds left in the game.
Travis Trice, Appling's backup, wasn't cleared after having a head injury last week. Harris played after being knocked out of the previous game with back spasms and was limited in practice early in the week.
The Spartans also lack depth in the backcourt because Brandan Kearney transferred during the season to Arizona State.
Payne was out of the game for part of the second half with a bloody nose.
The Spartans had much more success offensively with their guards shooting from the outside on a night their post players struggled. They made 9 of 18 3-pointers and connected on fewer than 44 percent of their shots overall.
Nix and Payne, both of whom are averaging nine-plus points, both missed all three of their shots and were scoreless in the first half.
Nix made the opening shot of the second half, tying the game at 20 after each team struggled to shoot in the first half. Payne had 11 points in the second half to help Michigan State maintain its dominance against the Golden Gophers.
The Spartans have beaten Minnesota in 13 of the past 15 games overall and 14 straight at the Breslin Center, where they're undefeated this season. That mark will be tested next week against the rival Wolverines and the following week against top-ranked Indiana.
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Man arrested for sexual assault, his victim is 11 year old girl
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- Final Oregon refuge occupier turns himself in
- World's longest-surviving heart transplant patient dies
- 'House of Cards': It's Frank vs. Claire in the Season 4 trailer
- Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
- Meryl Streep responds to questions about diversity: 'We’re all Africans really'
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50