(SportsNetwork.com) - Cole Hamels will attempt to pick up his first victory of the season against a team that has given him fits over his career as the Philadelphia Phillies shoot for a three-game sweep of the New York Mets on Sunday afternoon.
- Created on Sunday, 11 May 2014 08:56
Hamels began the season on the disabled list and has struggled over three starts, going 0-2 with a 7.02 earned run average. He followed up consecutive losses with a rough outing versus Toronto on Tuesday even though he did not get a decision.
The 30-year-old lefty gave up five runs on 10 hits over six innings, tagged for two home runs.
"I was trying to be on the corners but I was missing," Hamels said. "I had to throw right to their strength. They hit the ball out of the ballpark frequently and they did so tonight."
Hamels' second start of the season came at home versus the Mets on April 29 and he took a loss in a rain-plagued outing, charged with six runs on eight hits and five walks in 4 2/3 frames.
The loss dropped Hamels to 7-14 in his career versus the Mets with a 4.65 ERA in 27 meetings. He is 4-5 with a 4.19 ERA in 13 outings at Citi Field.
The Mets turn to red-hot lefty Jon Niese, who has pitched to a 1.01 ERA over his last four starts, giving up three runs over 26 2/3 innings.
Following back-to-back wins, Niese hurled seven scoreless frames of five-hit ball on Monday at Miami. He left with the lead, but ended up not getting a decision in his club's 4-3 loss.
The 27-year-old is 2-2 with a 1.82 ERA on the season and that includes a victory over the Phillies and Hamels on April 29. Niese logged seven innings of one-run ball, moving above .500 for his career in this series at 7-6 with a 3.00 ERA in 16 starts.
The Phillies came into this series having lost four in a row, but have bested the Mets in consecutive one-run games. That has Philadelphia in position to sweep New York in three games for the first time since April 26-28 of last year at Citi Field.
Philadelphia picked up the winning run in last night's 5-4 victory in the ninth inning on Ryan Howard's key hit. Jimmy Rollins worked a two-out walk off Kyle Farnsworth and Chase Utley followed with a single before Howard stroked a base hit to center to score Rollins.
Howard had four hits, Rollins hit a solo homer among his three hits and scored four times, and Utley had a pair of hits and drove in two runs.
"Big night for the three guys in our lineup. Rollins, Utley and Howard combined for nine hits, four runs and four RBI," said Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg. "They carried the load for the offensive side of things."
David Wright launched a two-run homer and drove in three runs for the Mets, who have lost five straight -- four of those by one run -- and eight of their last nine games.
"It's frustrating losing," said Wright. "Whether you do it 5-4 or 4-3 or 2-1, it doesn't matter. The frustrating part is losing."
Curtis Granderson had two hits for New York but is batting just .187 on the year.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- At least 2 killed, 100 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 4 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 8 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Republican governors eye strong showing in NH primary as voting begins
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- CDC discovers new bacteria species that causes Lyme disease
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- How a cruise ship navigates a storm
- NYC cop on trial for deadly stairwell shooting breaks down on the stand
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50