- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Lawmakers respond to voicemail Gov. LePage left for Democratic legislator
- New school unveiled that will serve all RSU 64 students K - 5
- American Folk Festival caters to sign language users
- Cruise ship season in Bar Harbor at its peak
- Herring shortage worsens that is affecting Maine lobstermen
- Governor in hot water over comments that he's kept binder of mug shots of drug dealers
- Sportsman's Alliance of Maine is not happy about National Monument decision
- Hampden man arrested on heroin charges
- 2nd Annual "Cruisin for CM & SM" to spread awareness of not so rare disease
- A woman who attempted to buy a couple of Happy Meals for some children isn't so happy today
- Man accused of severely beating his child is now out on bail
- Guilford celebrates 200 years
- End in sight for Ellsworth road work
- 17-year-old accused of robbing cab
- Orono Brewing opens in Downtown Bangor
- Nearly 26 hours of audio recovered from data recorder in sinking of El Faro
- Free admission to National Parks from Thursday through Sunday
- Landlord posts signs to keep 'Pokemon Go' players away
- Rare Apple-1 computer built by Jobs and Wozniak in 1976 sells for $815,000
- 12 Tips to Get Your Edible Garden Started
- How to Add Some Color to Your Home
- Sierra Leone: Police officers detained over deadly protests
- Town rallies around Jewish family hit by swastika graffiti
- Texas man charged with beheading wife after police visit
- Welcome to the fourth grade: Teacher's rap targets students
- How This Backpack Startup Is Giving Back
- Man sentenced in vampire role-playing, teen sex case
- Convicted killer gets new trial after conviction overturned
- Community activists want answers in teen's shooting death
- Couple wanted in woman's killing, kids' kidnapping arrested
- Candidates capitalize on the ever-powerful 'religious vote'
- US flags to be reinstalled on NY firetrucks after outcry
- Georgia father paralyzed in body surfing accident determined to walk again
- High school girl accused of attacking teacher with stun gun
- Toronto man charged in crossbow murders that left 3 dead
- Did the FBI drop the ball when questioning Clinton?
- Billionaire Richard Branson Survives Bike Crash
- Britney Spears Gets Revealing In Carpool Karaoke Segment With James Corden
- Brazilian Police Have Charged Ryan Lochte With Filing False Robbery Report
- Scott Eastwood Makes 'Emotional Call' To Late Ex-Girlfriend's Father 2 Years After Her Death
- Michael Phelps, Final Five Gymnasts To Present At MTV VMAs
- Sarah Jessica Parker Cuts Ties With EpiPen After Price Hike
- Chloë Grace Moretz & More To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dwayne Johnson Beats Out Robert Downey Jr. To Top Forbes' Highest-Paid Actors List
- 'Supernatural's' Ackles & Padalecki Added To Entertainment Weekly's PopFest
- Johnny Depp Makes First Divorce Payment To Amber Heard's Chosen Charities
- Audrina Patridge Shares Adorable First Photos Of Baby Daughter Kirra Max
- Ryan Lochte In Talks To Join 'Dancing With The Stars' (Reports)
- Dredge hits 66 to grab 3-shot lead in Denmark
- Rangers reliever Jeremy Jeffress charged with DWI in Dallas
- Rangers agree to terms with Pirri on $1.1M, 1-year deal
- Enroth replaces injured Lerner for Sweden at World Cup
- Man gets house arrest for trying to extort ex-football star
- Wisconsin tabs senior Bart Houston as starting quarterback
- Judge refuses to toss Giants player's privacy lawsuit against ESPN
- RB Arian Foster helps lead Dolphins to victory over Falcons
- Jets' Giacomini still has back issue, status uncertain
- Judge won't dismiss Pierre-Paul privacy lawsuit against ESPN
- Year after Slam bid at US Open, Williams eyes No. 23, No. 1
- Titans controlling owner joins NFL's Hall of Fame Committee