- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Bangor Area Chamber of Commerce is looking for award nominations
- Large drug bust in Western Maine ends in five arrests
- Overall Maine crime rates fall while drugs are still a concern
- Near drowning victim released from hospital as investigation is still underway
- A teenage boy continues to recover following a scary accident over the weekend
- Weekend concert supports childhood cancer foundation
- Portland stabbing under investigation
- Ellsworth accident ends in fatality
- A man from Carmel has been indicted on sex charges
- Police are trying to figure out what led to a shooting death in Southern Maine
- Maine's safest colleges named
- Fire destroys barn that housed a dog grooming business
- Car found upside down in Ellsworth fatal accident
- Free car seat inspections could save kids' lives
- Husson holds groundbreaking for new townhouses
- Acadia Night Sky Festival is in full swing
- "The Simple Truth About the Pay Gap"
- Trump doubles down on 'impenetrable, physical' wall during immigration speech
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- Ohio judge orders girls' bathroom access for transgender student
- Failure to get Syria cease-fire stole spotlight at UN
- Colombia embarks on path to peace with historic accord
- Former President Aristide leaps from behind scenes in Haiti
- Chicago-based religious order sued for docs on allegations
- Debate night: Trump struggles, Clinton clings to facts and figures, Holt stumbles
- Mexico's governing party strips governor of party support
- Trump questions Clinton's temperament, calls her 'out of control'
- Trump, Clinton clash at fiery first debate on trade, tax returns, temperament
- Trump, Clinton clash at first debate on trade, tax returns, temperament
- Clinton scores by staying on offense, Trump by sticking to serious issues
- Clinton: 'I prepared to be president'
- Trump goes after Fed Reserve's Yellen, claims she's 'more political' than Clinton
- Trump, Clinton spar about trade deals
- Trump, Clinton spar on economy at first debate
- Researchers create working transporter, but only manage to teleport photons
- Liev & Naomi Announce Split After 11 Years Together
- "The Breakfast Club" Star Molly Ringwald To Return Stage For Adaptation Of A Classic 1980s Film
- 'Will & Grace' Cast Reunite After 10 Years For Something Big!
- How To Stream The Debate
- Pharrell Williams To Address Film Executives And Stars On Solutions To Hollywood's Lagging Diversity
- Lindsay Lohan Visited Syrian Refugees In Istanbul, Turkey
- Viola Davis Says Her Experience With Sexual Assault Led Her To Become An Advocate
- Dustin Hoffman & Judi Dench Receive International Emmy Nominations
- 'Today's' Savannah Guthrie Reveals Baby's Gender
- Former 'Friends' Star Matt LeBlanc To Host 'Top Gear' Car Show
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Date Night
- Rihanna, Demi Lovato & More Performed At The 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- Mourning Miami Marlins begin to move on without Jose Fernandez
- Arnold Palmer, the King with a personal touch
- Rutgers coaches know Ohio State well, but will it help?
- Dolphins looking to overcome struggles on a short week
- Redskins S DeAngelo Hall out for season with torn right ACL
- Upon Further Review: Packers' offense in rhythm in win over Lions
- Houston LT Brown returns to practice, could play Sunday
- Royals seek to continue dominance of Twins
- Wentz, strong defense have Eagles off to 3-0 start
- More abuse allegations against former USA Gymnastics doctor
- Goodbyes always came with tears for The King
- Wilson injury casts cloud over Seahawks' romp of 49ers