- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Cabin fever event preparing people for spring
- Governor LePage on "FOX and Friends"
- Belfast ATM targeted by skimmers
- Thorndike teacher receives sentence in unlawful touching case
- Wardens release information on 7th snowmobile fatal
- Event brings fans of music and wrestling together
- Partnership allows students to earn two degrees in six years
- Program encourages students to consider career in law enforcement
- DHHS allocates millions to fight opioid epidemic
- Thousands wake up to power outage
- Man behind bars after standoff in Aroostook County
- Community members study local aquatic life
- "Lego Circus Day" has a special guest at Challenger Learning Center
- Searsmont man facing charges for unlawful sexual contact
- Woman accused of murdering former husband
- Miranda Hopkins due in court Friday
- Turner woman killed following crash while exiting turnpike
- Ted Cruz reportedly says nuclear option is on table in Supreme Court pick
- Japan spokesman: Trump criticism of currency policy off base
- Celebrities, pundits react to Trump's Supreme Court nominee
- Union-backed Ronald Vitiello named to lead Border Patrol
- Senator: Army Corp told to approve Dakota pipeline easement
- Owner, charity liable in building collapse that killed 6
- Trump seeking $54B increase in defense spending, cuts elsewhere
- 'Moonlight' won best picture because of Oscars' version of electoral college
- $20 debt leads to melee at Florida Girl Scout cookie stand
- Trump previews joint address to Congress, takes blame for communication issues
- Richard III's prayer book goes online … and is that a personal note?
- Microbes in glittering crystal cave revived after 10,000 years
- Trump previews joint address to Congress, takes blame for ineffective communications
- Trump announces special guests for his upcoming joint address to Congress
- 12 healthy eating hacks nutritionists use every day
- Not fake news: Trump's budget cuts are first big test of his presidency
- Morning brief: Exclusive Trump interview to air on 'Fox & Friends' at 6 am ET
- Top Russian official: Our relationship with US at lowest point since Cold War
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere Recap
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Shows Off Growing Baby Bump In Glam Oscars Look
- Patricia Arquette Upset Oscars Left Transgender Sister Out Of 'In Memoriam' Tribute
- Brie Larson Congratulates Fellow Oscar Winner Emma Stone In Touching Backstage Surprise
- 'Supergirl' Preview: Jeremiah Danvers Returns
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Issues Apology Over Best Picture Oscars Mix-Up
- Oscars 2017: 'In Memoriam' Segment Included Photo Of Living Producer
- Oscars 2017: Hollywood Reacts To That Shocking Best Picture Twist
- Oscars 2017: 'Moonlight' Wins Best Picture Over 'La La Land' After Onstage Mix-Up
- Oscars 2017: Host Jimmy Kimmel Surprises Hollywood Tourists With Trip Inside The Show
- John Legend-Performed Songs 'City Of Stars' & 'Audition' Out Digitally (Exclusive)
- 'HTGAWM' Cast, Oprah Winfrey, Jessica Chastain & More React To Viola Davis' Oscars Win
- Daytona 500 crash takes Kyle Busch, Dale Earnhardt Jr. out of race
- Former NHL enforcer suspended as youth coach following brawl
- Transgender boy wins first 2 matches of girls tournament
- Jameis Winston apologizes for 'poor word choice' during talk to schoolchildren
- Ex-USA Gymnastics doctor accused of sexually assaulting nine girls
- Facebook reportedly in talks with MLB to livestream games during season
- Athletics hopeful Santiago Casilla to arrive in coming days
- Lakers put Magic Johnson in charge of basketball ops
- Lean on me: International NBA players supporting each other
- AP Sources: Matt Wieters, Nationals agree, pending physical
- Romar's future at Washington could be tied to recruits
- FCS draft roundtable - Part II