- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Unique take on the Christmas Carol
- Expressing creativity through snowflake ornaments
- Interactive Nutcracker showcase gets families dancing
- Waterfall Arts craft fair supporting local artists
- Ellsworth Police are receiving scam reports
- Wreaths Across America journey begins
- Plane makes an emergency landing at Bangor International Airport
- Penobscot Sheriffs forgo shaving for charity
- Police investigate murder/suicide
- Pedestrian hit by car in Madawaska
- Two arrested in Hancock on drug charges
- Search for missing Bangor man extended to Old Town
- Search continues for Medford woman
- Teen killed in crash after car left road and hit tree
- State police investigating deaths of a man and a woman
- Bangor retail stores talk about their big Christmas sellers
- Portland listed as choice destination on the rise
- Augusta woman to be sentenced for robbery
- 10 health and fitness gifts moms really want
- Northeast to receive fresh bout of lake-effect snow and chill before week’s end
- World's biggest LNG supplier Qatar merges 2 gas producers
- Smartwatch can help detect signs of heart attack for at-risk patients
- Spain plans $528M in environmental taxes to meet EU goals
- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter arrives in Iraq to assess Mosul fight
- Iran says it's finalized $16.6B Boeing deal to buy 80 planes
- 38 dead and 155 wounded in twin bomb attack near Istanbul stadium
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 22, injures dozens
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 25, injures dozens
- Italian foreign minister looks poised to get premier's job
- Romanians began voting in parliamentary election
- Twin bomb blasts near market in northeast Nigerian city
- Kuwait seats new government after parliamentary elections
- South Korea indicts ex-presidential aide in scandal probe
- Schumer: Check transit employees against terror watch lists
- Day of mourning declared in Turkey after twin blasts kill 29
- University of Michigan, Google create Flint water crisis app , website
- Kesha & Madonna Get Emotional At The Billboard Women In Music 2016 Event
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Ok With Donald Trump's Involvement With 'The New Celebrity Apprentice'
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian's Divorce From Lamar Odom
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom's Divorce
- 'Silicon Valley' Star T.J. Miller Arrested On Suspicion Of Battery, Police Say
- Kerry Washington Steps Out For First Time Since Welcoming Baby No. 2
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Candice King & Zach Roerig Preview Midseason Finale
- Hollywood Legend Kirk Douglas Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Megan Mullally Hints At Possible 'Will & Grace' Revival
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth To Her Second Child!
- Taylor Swift & Zayn Malik Drop Surprise Single For 'Fifty Shades Darker'
- Louis Tomlinson's Mother Has Died Of Leukemia
- Alinghi wins extreme sailing series
- Davis returns to lineup as Pelicans visit Suns
- Traded players square off as Senators visit Ducks
- Brazel wins Hong Kong Open for 1st European Tour title
- Paul has 20 points, 20 assists, 0 turnovers to lead Clippers
- Paul leads Clippers to season-high 133 points vs Pelicans
- Emery, Haws lead BYU past Colorado 79-71
- Loyola Marymount edges Cal State Northridge 69-68
- Rider holds off Pacific 73-66 in Gotham Classic
- Couture, Labanc help lead Sharks past Hurricanes 4-3
- Hamilton scores twice, Flames beat Jets 6-2 for 6th straight
- Seattle coasts to 90-49 win over Great Falls