- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Trump supporters gather with flags and banners in Ellsworth
- Gold Star Mothers & Wreaths Across America sign formal memorandum
- Shredding sensitive documents and keeping sensitive info from others in Bangor
- Maine Credit Unions' ending hunger walk is raising awareness for hunger in Maine
- Maine drought continues and spreads
- Beal College is celebrating 125th Anniversary
- Husson unveils "College of Science and Humanities"
- Accident in Northern Maine injures four teenagers
- Police asking for help is locating missing Lamoine woman
- High voter turnout expected in Maine
- Benton Schools have detected lead in water
- Two New York women arrested in Augusta for drugs
- Wintrop man charged with arson
- A search is over in Skowhegan for a suspected burglar
- Food security and minimum wage forum discussed question four
- Winds and dry conditions contributed to large number of wildfires
- Kurtz on Trump's Miss Universe dust up: 'He can't seem to let go of it'
- California police show videos of fatal shooting of black man
- Powerful Hurricane Matthew on Caribbean track toward Jamaica
- Mob informant trades witness protection for $100M
- Stripper segregation: Feds say club mistreats black dancers
- Reeling ISIS tricks boys as young as 8 into manning front lines
- Suspected Islamic militants gun down Egyptian army officer
- North Dakota pipeline protest prompts more than 80 arrests
- WikiLeaks: Clinton aides scramble to address alleged mistress nicknamed 'Energizer Bunny'
- Prosecutors oppose release of indicted Arkansas ex-judge
- Possible new home for Gitmo ex-detainee unhappy in Uruguay
- Emails show Clinton campaign weighing Keystone XL decision
- Clinton, Trump rooted in battlegrounds Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia with time expiring
- Rolling Stone writer: 'Stunned' when woman backed off story
- Riders do annual roundup of Utah bison herd
- Calif. university deems 'man,' 'secretary,' 'male nurse' not inclusive enough
- Teen surrenders in Philadelphia shooting of good Samaritan
- Comic's comic Kevin Meaney dead at 60
- Kanye West Shares The Sweetest Birthday Message For Wife Kim Kardashian West
- Reese Witherspoon Reveals She Gets Fashion Advice From Her Teenage Daughter
- Donald Glover To Play Lando Calrissian In Han Solo 'Star Wars' Film
- Katy Perry & Pharrell To Co-Chair 2017 Met Gala
- Katy Perry & Pharrell Williams To Co-Chair 2017 Met Gala
- Anne Hathaway Admits She 'Tried To Pretend To Be Happy' When Winning Her Oscar
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 8 Premiere Q&A: Michael Malarkey
- Carol Burnett Signs On To ABC Sitcom From Amy Poehler
- Warner Bros. Records Promises Previously Unreleased Prince Music
- Charlie Sheen Offers To Throw First Pitch At This Year's World Series As Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn
- Lady Gaga Returns To NYC Bar Where She Launched Her Career
- Blac Chyna Splurges On New Rolls Royce Just Weeks Before Baby – See The Luxe Ride!
- No. 8 Huskers pull away from Purdue in 2nd half, win 27-14
- Raynard, Cohen lead as North Carolina A&T beats Howard 34-7
- Sloppy Colorado holds off equally bad Stanford 10-5
- Northwestern throttles Indiana 24-14 for third straight win
- Citadel defense steps up late, beats Wofford 24-21 in OT
- FCS Top 25: No. 5 Citadel wins in OT
- Week 7 fantasy football start & sit lineup advice chat
- Jackson has 4 TDs, No. 7 Louisville routs NC State 54-13
- Jeske throws 3 TD passes in Dayton's 31-16 win over Butler
- Jets place Henderson on non-football injury/illness list
- Lehigh scores 46 straight points in drubbing of Holy Cross
- Hansen shares lead of Portugal Masters after 3 rounds