- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 14:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Taking care of Maine lakes
- Car show donates motorcycle to disabled veterans
- Bangor Symphony moves to new home
- Fairfield PD warns of car break-ins
- Thursday morning fire damages home
- Two adults and a juvenile arrested in Patten
- Tobacco bill passes the Senate
- Republicans offer budget compromise
- Second body found from boating accident
- Acadia advisory commission allowed to resume meetings
- King speaks out against Senate Health Care Bill
- Crash in Westfield caused when woman wanted a pic of a bear
- Man run over by police cruiser during chase
- Composite Lodge donates a building that will be used to educate children
- Bangor Pride Week ends with parade and festival on Saturday
- State of Maine made a video to help people prepare for their drivers test
- Supreme Court: Will Justice Kennedy retire this month?
- Professor says N. Korea detainee got what he 'deserved'
- Chaffetz: Justice watchdog also looking into Lynch's role into FBI's Clinton email probe
- Tropical Storm Cindy causes minor flooding across South as rain continues
- Israel strikes Syrian positions after fire toward it
- Connecticut hotel workers train to spot human trafficking
- A Russian as UN counter-terrorism czar? Bad idea
- Colorado officer in Pence motorcade injured after crashing motorcycle
- Egypt's president ratifies disputed Saudi islands pact
- Arrest leads to major break in 1988 cold case murder of 2 Texas teens
- 8 coal miners killed in Colombia from underground blast
- 2 Dutch journalists freed unharmed by Colombian rebels
- Ex-doctor charged in pill mill scheme dies after being shot
- Trump questions why Obama allegedly did 'nothing' about Russia hacking, in Fox interview
- MS-13 gang leader pleads guilty to drug, gun charges
- Marc Thiessen: America is on its way to divorce court
- America is on its way to divorce court
- Trump, Pence to attend Treasury Secretary Mnuchin's wedding
- Oscar Winner Daniel Day-Lewis Is Retiring From Acting
- Prodigy Of Hip-Hop Duo Mobb Deep Dies At 42
- 'Bachelor In Paradise' Review Declares No Evidence Of Misconduct, Show Will Resume Production
- Dave Chappelle Will Host Rihanna's Diamond Ball; Kendrick Lamar To Perform
- 'Jumanji' Sequel Stars Jack Black & Nick Jonas Pay Tribute To Robin Williams
- John Legend Postpones Concert Dates Due To Illness: 'I Will Get Healthy'
- Miles Teller Released After Being Arrested On Suspicion Of Public Intoxication
- Adele Visits London Firefighters Following Grenfell Tower Fire
- Paris Jackson Stuns On Vogue Australia Cover
- Carrie Fisher Autopsy Report Reveals Late Actress Had Multiple Drugs In Her System
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Gets Premiere Date
- 'American Ninja Warrior': Watch Kacy Catanzaro's Qualifier Run (Exclusive Sneak Peek)
- Lightning make 5 picks on day two at 2017 NHL Draft
- Florida loses first game in College World Series to TCU
- Marlins bounce back with shutout vs. defending champs
- Panthers select right wing Owen Tippett with 10th overall pick
- Sonoma Raceway shows Dale Earnhardt Jr. some major puppy love
- Lightning unveil logo, announce special events celebrating 25th anniversary
- Earnhardt on running Daytona 500 again: Well, you never say never
- Roundup of 2017 NBA Draft grades for Minnesota Timberwolves
- Twins call up Hildenberger, Gee, designate Wimmers, Melotakis for assignment
- LA Clippers take South Carolina's Thornwell in draft
- Padres host Tigers for weekend series
- NBA Draft: Philadelphia 76ers select Markelle Fultz No. 1 overall