- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 14:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Escaped inmate captured
- Woman seriously injured in Amherst crash
- BREAKING: Bannon is out as top White House strategist
- Penquis reaches backpack collection goal
- Governor LePage finally speaks out on Virginia
- Ellsworth Library celebrating 200 years
- Local doctor shares mission experience with residents
- Marijuana retail sales still a ways in the future
- Windham fire has shut down traffic on Tandberg Trail
- Thursday morning crash shuts down Ohio Street in Glenburn
- Kayaker drowns in Washington County
- Rockport bicyclist found dead named
- Porter accident involving teens under investigation
- Details released in mid-July murder in Cherryfield
- Suspicious package alert is a false alarm
- Kidnapped woman gets away after abductors can't operate stick shift
- Sam Hunt makes history, explains origin of single 'Body Like a Back Road'
- Missing skinny dipper's body found by off-duty lifeguard
- DeMario Jackson reportedly in talks to join 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 25
- Inside the minds of women who have sex with boys
- Total of 6 officers shot in Florida, Pennsylvania
- Two police officers slain near Orlando, Fla.
- Girl, 14, found after fears she may have run off with her janitor, report says
- Heartbreak for family of American killed in Spain while celebrating anniversary
- 6 die in Vietnam while sawing leftover mortar shell
- Turtle with two heads spotted in Florida
- Steve Bannon exits White House, says the presidency Trump campaigned for is 'over'
- Venezuela's ousted chief prosecutor flees to Colombia
- NY subway tiles with Confederate flag look to be altered
- Could the human remains found in Aruba be Natalee Holloway? Experts weigh in
- Right-wing activist faces charges from March Berkeley event
- Bruce: Media fixated on Trump, will blame him for everything
- Dashcam video shows white cop punching black man during stop
- Calvin Harris To Perform At Rihanna's Diamond Ball
- VMAs 2017: Pink To Be Honored With The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award
- Taylor Swift Vows To Become A Voice For Sexual Assault Victims Following Trial Verdict
- Oprah Winfrey Letting Go Of 'Emotional Burden' Of Weight Struggles
- MTV, Record Label Debate Why 'Despacito' Video Was Left Off VMA Nominations List
- 'Deadpool 2': Female Stunt Driver Dies After On-Set Motorcycle Crash
- Taylor Swift Cries During Court Case Closing Arguments
- Teen Choice Awards 2017: Chris Pratt Makes Post-Split Appearance, Miley Cyrus Cancels Last Minute
- Shonda Rhimes Signs Deal With Netflix
- Teen Choice Awards 2017 To Honor Miley Cyrus, Bruno Mars
- 'Annabelle: Creation' Scares Up $35M At Box Office
- Bruno Mars Donates $1 Million From Concert To Flint Water Crisis
- Kluber leaves start early as Indians romp past Royals, 10-1
- Rays fall to Mariners in Kiermaier's return
- Cardinals place Waino on DL, recall Mayers from Triple-A
- Royals place Soria on DL, recall McCarthy from Storm Chasers
- Boston Red Sox owner considering changing Yawkey Way to ease history of racial intolerance
- LeBron James slams Trump as 'so-called president' in Ohio speech
- Slegers helps Twins to win over Indians in MLB debut
- Jay Cutler makes Dolphins debut in preseason loss to Ravens
- Buccaneers dominate first half in preseason victory over Jaguars
- Torre, Steinbrenner confident in Jeter's ability to succeed in front office role with Marlins
- Colts might have to shrink playbook for QBs if Luck remains out
- Coming home: Cullen picks Wild for 21st NHL season