- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 19:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Fair Haven Camp finding ways to help kids
- A man from Vinalhaven is accused of attacking a woman and a young boy
- A Bangor man will spend a year and a half in prison for selling cocaine
- A Surry man is hospitalized after a near drowning in Sullivan
- DHHS issues a warning to remind people to wash your hands at fairs and stay safe
- Regulators level playing field with herring limits expanded to Massachusetts
- Proposed changes to Baxter Woods in Portland
- Waterville budget causing contreversy
- MDOT announces Union St. bridge work
- Fire destroys Waldoboro house
- Dover Foxcroft man is accused of selling illegal drugs in the Belfast area
- Man takes plea deal in Old Port shooting and now will testify against other defendant
- Three transported to hospital after multi-vehicle crash in Hampden
- Sex offender waiting on sentence
- Pillsbury sentenced to 50 years for murdering girlfriend in 2013
- Warren man gets eight months in jail
- Congressman tours two facilities while pushing for protecting and growing jobs in Maine
- Burned body found as wildfire burns near Los Angeles
- ASEAN split on how to deal with China in South China Sea row
- Four people killed, child injured in shooting at Texas apartment complex
- Hungary prime minister says Trump is better candidate for Europe
- Hundreds honor teen suffering from fatal disease at prom-themed party
- Wildfire north of Los Angeles prompts hundreds of home evacuations
- DNC rules committee turns back effort to abolish superdelegates
- Clinton, Sanders compromise could limit role of superdelegates in future campaigns
- Toxic algae bloom closes Utah lake, sickens more than 100 people
- University of Florida linebacker stops sexual assault
- University of Florida linebacker stops sexual assault outside bar
- Kaine says Trump would be 'trash-talking president' in debut as Clinton running mate
- Kaine makes Clinton campaign debut amid backlash from the left
- Border Patrol detains Canadian teens who crossed border playing 'Pokemon GO'
- Trump pushing for a 'Philly fight?'
- Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS
- Authorities announce arrest in disappearance of college student whose bike was found in Ohio cornfield
- Wikileaks dump appears to show DNC favored Clinton campaign
- Rihanna To Join 'Bates Motel' Cast To Play Famous Janet Leigh 'Psycho' Scene
- Comic-Con: 'Fear The Walking Dead' Introduces Newest Cast Member
- Former 'Bachelor' Ben Higgins Has Decided Not To Run For Public Office In Colorado
- Bobby Brown Welcomes Third Child With Wife Alicia Etheredge
- Justin Bieber Drops New Track 'Cold Water' With Major Lazer
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal."
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal"
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' To End After 6 Seasons
- Estate Of Former Beatle George Harrison Doesn't Want Donald Trump Using His Music
- Estate Of Former Beatle George Harrison Doesn't Want Donald Trump Using Harrison's Music
- Jon Stewart Back Behind A Late Night Desk After RNC
- Roger Ailes Out As Head Of Fox News Channel After 20 Years
- Twins outlast Red Sox for 11-9 win
- Davies shuts down Cubs, leads Brewers to 6-1 win
- Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez help Marlins bounce back against Mets
- Britain's Konta rides big serve to reach first career final
- Van der Zande, Popow win at Lime Rock Park
- Former tennis player Mardy Fiush leads Tahoe celebrity golf
- Eun Jeong Seong wins second straight US Girls' Junior
- Australia's Min Woo Lee wins US Junior Amateur
- Kyle Busch rolls to another dominating XFINITY win at Indy
- Kyle Busch wins NASACAR Xfinity Series race at Indy _ again
- WNBA withdraws fines for players who wore black shirts during pregame protests
- Snedeker leads amateur du Toit in Canadian Open