- Created on Sunday, 16 December 2012 14:19
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)
San Francisco (10-3-1) owns at least a wild-card spot and plays at Seattle next week with a chance to win the NFC West. A loss would bring the division race down to the final weekend.
Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns, two to Crabtree, who had 107 yards receiving. The defense rattled Tom Brady at times, but also yielded 443 yards passing.
AFC East champion New England (10-4), which had won seven in a row, trailed 31-3 at one point and lost for the first time at home in December in 21 games. The Patriots also had won 21 in a row in the second half of the schedule before San Francisco somehow regrouped late in a game it seemingly had clinched long before.
The 49ers appeared headed for an easy win in a sloppy game. They forced four turnovers, matching the number of giveaways New England had at home all season.
But then the Niners began sleepwalking, and back came Brady and the Patriots on a 6-yard TD run by Danny Woodhead and a 1-yard dive by Brady. A 5-yard pass to Aaron Hernandez and Woodhead's 1-yard run with 12:13 remaining tied it.
San Francisco mounted a quick response. Rookie LaMichael James broke free for a 62-yard kickoff return. On the next snap - the third time the Niners would have a one-play TD drive - Crabtree took a pass on the left side, spun and headed into the end zone.
New England turned over the ball on downs and Akers made his kick. Stephen Gostkowski added a 41-yarder for the Patriots with 38 seconds remaining, but they couldn't recover the onside kick.
- Creature Quarters showcased with open house
- Ellsworth Elks Lodge hosts annual Christmas for Kids party
- Ellsworth community celebrates National Ugly Sweater Day
- Ellsworth to hold a wreath ceremony similar to Arlington's
- Young girl dies in Cathance crash
- Burton sentenced to 55 years
- Maine senators lose last ditch effort to stall Net Neutrality vote
- Oakfield tractor trailer crash
- Wiscasset murder arrest made
- Dispatcher arrested for child porn
- Gorham man lucky after cold crash
- Early moring fire destroys home in Rangeley
- Maine DOT reminds drivers to remove snow from cars
- Cop taunts would-be killer with lube on way to prison: 'You are going to need a lot of this'
- Dog shoots hunter after another hunter leaves shotgun on ground
- Linda Sarsour accused of enabling sexual assault, harassment in workplace
- Peru president: Odebrecht payments did bring 'some money'
- Sarah Palin's oldest son, Track, arraigned on domestic violence charges
- Chile's conservative billionaire ex-President Pinera easily wins runoff election
- Obama administration undermined anti-Hezbollah task force to help secure Iran nuke deal, report says
- McCain has returned home to Arizona after treatment, office says
- Congress's critical week to include final tax vote, avoiding shutdown, key Russia-related testimony
- Singer Keely Smith dies of heart failure at age 89
- Cause of Canadian billionaires' 'suspicious' deaths at home revealed
- Olympian Lolo Jones tweets updates while stuck on a plane during Atlanta Airport power outage
- NYPD commissioner on addressing terror threats
- 332 Royal Caribbean passengers sickened with stomach virus
- Ed Lee, San Francisco mayor, remembered at 'celebration of life'
- Man caught on body camera footage falling over 40-ft overpass survives
- Matt Damon slammed by ex Minnie Driver over comments about sexual misconduct
- McCain returning home to Arizona after treatment, Trump says
- Dad-To-Be John Stamos Honors His Late Father With Heartfelt Throwback Photo
- Morgan Spurlock's 'Super Size Me' Sequel Pulled From Sundance After Sexual Misconduct Confession
- Gwyneth Paltrow Shares Sweet Pic Of Robert Downey Jr. Giving Her A Kiss
- Nelly Will Not Face Rape Charges, Prosecutors In Washington Say
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Pro Emma Slater Shares Photos From Drew Scott's First Wedding Dance Rehearsal
- Liam Payne Shared An Almost Nude Photo In Bed
- Fans Defend Taylor Swift After Celebratory Instagram Post Causes Backlash
- Billie Lourd Writes Hidden Message In Emotional Tribute To Mother Carrie Fisher
- James Corden Enlists Zac Efron, Hugh Jackman & Zendaya For A Crosswalk Performance On Broadway
- 'Roseanne' Revival Gets Premiere Date On ABC
- Portia de Rossi Checks Out Wildfire Devastation After Evacuating Home She Shares With Ellen DeGeneres
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Blasts Off With $45 Million Opening Night
- Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is selling the team
- Return of the captain: Bluesactivate PietrangelofromIR
- Ducks lose 3-2 to Capitals in OT
- Preview: Jaguars try to clinch playoff spot against visiting Texans
- Preview: Panthers take on expansion Golden Knights for first time this season
- LeBron James gets 60th triple-double, passes Larry Bird on all-time list
- Josh Richardson's career-high 28 points lift Heat past visiting Clippers
- Alkins leads hot-shooting No. 23 Arizona past New Mexico
- Florida squanders 2nd-half lead, falls to Clemson in Orange Bowl Classic
- Conner Manning leads Georgia State past Western Kentucky in Cure Bowl
- Miami stamps out 2nd-half rally from George Washington to stay undefeated
- Feeling healthy again, Phil Cofer a big contributor to Florida State's early season success