- Created on Monday, 10 December 2012 12:13
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP)
The San Francisco 49ers suspended running back Brandon Jacobs on Monday for the final three games following a series of posts on social media sites addressing his lack of playing time, including one during the weekend saying he was ''on this team rotting away.''
The 49ers made the announcement about two hours after coach Jim Harbaugh's news conference, but provided no explanation for why Jacobs had been disciplined. It is doubtful he would return for the playoffs.
Harbaugh declined to address Jacobs' comments, even when asked whether Jacobs was still on the team. He said he was invoking his ''fifth amendment'' right.
The 30-year-old Jacobs has five carries for 7 yards while playing in only two games with the NFC West-leading Niners (9-3-1). He spent his first seven NFL seasons with the New York Giants and has called this his ''worst'' year - though he knew he was joining a crowded backfield that features three-time Pro Bowler Frank Gore as one of the faces of the franchise.
In recent days, he posted a series of photos of himself playing for the Giants - and even a picture of his two Super Bowl championship rings, side by side.
''I am on this team rotting away so why would I wanna put any pics up of anything that say niners,'' Jacobs said in an Instagram post Saturday. ''This is by far the worst year I ever had, I'll tell you like I told plenty others.''
On Twitter later, Jacobs said: ''I don't understand why people are angry at me because I wanna do what I am paid to do, I am a competitive person, I think people should be mad if I didn't wanna play. ... As for all of my Instagram photos I don't have any niner pics, if you'll find me some pics I'll put them up.''
Jacobs, hampered by a left knee injury earlier this season, spends approximately 20 minutes before games punching the goal-post padding. He has said it is his way of dealing with the situation.
Last month, Jacobs posted advice on Twitter with a reference to never working ''in a place where you hate your boss so much, you should always be happy at work'' with a hash tag of ''YouLiveAndYouLearn.''
His post came the same day Harbaugh was hospitalized for a minor procedure for an irregular heartbeat.
Jacobs then said people shouldn't ''assume'' his remarks were football-related, then followed up with more tweets - including one reading ''football is not my life, people'' and another saying, ''Have you ever been in a spot and you wonder why are you there.''
Later, he posted that his tweets referred to his brother's boss, who makes ''him feel like he is the best thing since slice bread but when the budget is shot he is the first one get laid off, same with two other people I know.''
Jacobs ran for 571 yards and seven touchdowns last season with New York as a backup to Ahmad Bradshaw. He is the fourth-leading rusher in franchise history with 4,849 yards, but saw his role diminish with the emergence of Bradshaw and became increasingly disgruntled.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Women rescued trying to cross Atlantic Ocean in rowboat
- Political battle brews over replacing Scalia, as high court decides on immigration, other key issues
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- Prostitute found dead on New York beach likely strangled, Dr. Baden says
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Kanye West's 'ALL CAPS' Twitter rant after negative fashion review
- Mississippi police officer shot in face while investigating armed robbery
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50