A+ A A-

21 sentenced to death for deadly riot at Egyptian soccer match 012613

 
" onclick="CleanPrintPrintHtml(); return false" title="Print page" target="_blank">   
 

CAIRO (AP)

An Egyptian court has handed down death sentences for 21 people accused of taking part in soccer violence last year that killed 74.

WORST MOMENTS

Click here to see some of the terrible events which struck the game in 2012.

More: Europa | Champions

In the courtroom, families of the deceased wailed in disbelief and raised their hands in the air shouting ''Allahu Akbar'', Arabic for God is great.

The judge said in his statement read live on state TV that he would announce the verdict for the remaining 52 defendants on March 9.

Among those on trial are nine security officials. The soccer melee on Feb. 1, 2012 between Port Said's Al-Masry fans and Cairo's Al-Ahly fans was the world's deadliest soccer violence in 15 years.

As is customary in Egypt, the death sentences will be sent to a top religious authority, the Grand Mufti, for approval.

Get the App on the Google Play Store

What's On Tonight

Fox Bangor

8:00 PM

World Series: Game 4: Royals at Giants

11:00 PM

Fox 22 News at 10

WVII

8:00 PM

College Football: Ohio State at Penn State

11:30 PM

Secrets of Brain Health

Latest Tweets