Tuesday, 11 December 2012 18:04
There is snow on the ground, but inside this 96 by 26 foot hoop-house, nearly 400 feet of leafy greens are flourishing. Earlier this year, the greenhouse was constructed, and just last month, they produced their first harvest.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:37
Portland - The Maine Supreme Judicial Court has affirmed the murder conviction of Zachary Carr.
After a week long trial in March of 2011, a jury found the 21 year-old Bangor man guilty in the shooting death of 19 year-old John 'Bobby' Surles during a gang related fight in 2010. Carr is currently serving a 35 year sentence, but in May of 2011, his lawyers asked for a new trial and testimony from Assistant Attorney General, Andrew Benson, who they say withheld evidence.
In a court document, Justice Ellen Gorman states, "We are persuaded that Carr did receive a fair trial in this matter," up-holding the original decision.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:37
A Biddeford man is now in police custody for selling his own prescription medication.
46 year old Michael McKeown was charged Monday with aggravated trafficking. The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency (MDEA) says McKeown sold his drugs to an under-cover agent.
Authorities say his charges were increased because his home is across the street from an athletic field, which has been dubbed a safe zone by the City of Biddeford.
McKeown is also on the Maine sex offender registry, and police say they are looking into reports of him having teenage boys smoke marijuana in his home.
He was taken to the York County Jail in lieu of 75-thousand dollars bail. He is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:27
AUGUSTA -- A program out of Gorham is receiving high remarks from Governor LePage for their work helping children of military families.
In honor of the effort, governor lepage has proclaimed this month to be Operation Tribute month.
Operation Tribute is a program that provides holiday gifts to children of Maine's military families. Governor LePage says the sacrifices made by our armed forces must always be recognized but that we should also be mindful of the challenges faced by military families.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 16:07
BANGOR -- The Holiday Season, for many, is the time of giving, and that is just what the Bangor Fire Department did Monday night, as they helped out a charity, that makes a big difference.
The BFD was hard at work Monday night, but there were no fires in need of being put out. Instead they made a trip to Walmart, but its all for a good cause. They came here to help Toys For Tots.
For years now the BFD has been donating gifts to Toys for Tots, hoping they can make someone's Christmas just a little more memorable.
The money is collected at an annual baseball game with the Boston Red Sox Alumni and they donate the funds raised year round.
Over the years, the event has become a family affair, and what better way to figure out what toys are cool and which aren't, by bringing their little ones. but even these kids know the holiday season is more than about the gifts they receive.
After all of the toys were collected, the BFD made its way down the aisles and headed to what would become one busy cash register. From there they filled up their truck and headed over to the toys for tots collection site in brewer. but they say they could have never have done this alone. They say the could not have done this, without help from the Community.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:57
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:50
$1.33 billion for cash awards and tax relief programs become available for Hispanic and women farmers, or ranchers, who have been denied farm loans between the years 1981 to 2000.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:40
AUGUSTA - The increasing spread of an insect known as the winter moth has officials with the Maine Forest Service on edge.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:36
Lawmakers, caregivers and patients are supporting legislation that would give Maine's doctors more freedom in prescribing medical marijuana.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:23
MILLINOCKET - Conservationist Roxanne Quimby has bought another eight-thousand acres of Maine wilderness.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:20
AUGUSTA - Governor LePage and Democratic lawmakers are still at a stalemate over the use of a so-called tracker.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:18
Users of the illegal drug known as bath salts had better beware.
Maine health officials are seeing a cluster of serious bacterial illness among those who inject the drug.
Monday, 10 December 2012 17:24
Bangor - A Bangor transient who admitted to a summer carjacking that resulted in a high-speed chase will spend seven years in prison.
- Snowmobile accident killed father and son
- Maine individual high school bowling tournament
- Welcome to housing winter white out event
- Free fishing weekend
- BREAKING: Fugitive captured
- State police searching for man from Whiting
- Missing clammer's body recovered
- Students hold protest at MDI High School
- After Florida school shooting, three online threats made at Maine schools
- Marine Resources Committee votes to keep funding Maine Lobster Marketing Collaborative
- CDC warns flu is still going strong in Maine
- Class act lawsuit filed against LL Bean
- Homeowners treated to free fuel on Valentine's Day
- More information given on Ellsworth fire, except for the cause
- Four arrests made in Verona Island drug bust
- Rockland apartment fire started by smoking materials
- Nikolas Cruz showed no warning signs before Florida school shooting, say couple who took him in
- Russia church shooting leaves 5 dead after gunman opens fire on people leaving service
- Woman buys fish from Costco, finds live worm inside
- Iranian commercial plane crashes, killing all 65 people aboard, airline says
- Russia church shooting leaves 4 dead after gunman opens fire at festival
- Florida school massacre sparks church sign: 'When will they love their kids more than their guns'
- Florida school shooting survivors plan march demanding end to gun violence
- Sessions firm on recusing himself from Russia probe, uncertain about Senate fixing DACA
- Trump says Russians 'laughing their a---s off' over US collusion probes
- Iranian commercial plane crashes, killing all 66 people aboard, airline says
- 10 incredibly useful online sites you didn't know about until now
- Head of Latvian Central Bank is detained for questioning
- Son of George Soros donated $650G to Dem campaigns, groups last year, data show
- Egypt accepts delay of Ethiopia dam meeting as protests rage
- Israeli PM: Iran becoming increasingly aggressive in region
- Poland tries to frame PM's Holocaust remarks as frank debate
- Longtime Republican donor calls for new gun laws, vows to withhold cash
- Israel strikes Hamas targets in Gaza after soldiers wounded
- Jimmy Kimmel Calls On Congress, Trump To Take Action Against School Shootings: 'Children Are Being Murdered'
- Janelle Monae's Album Trailer Will Air Before 'Black Panther' In Theaters
- Chadwick Boseman, Tiffany Haddish, Greta Gerwig Named 2018 Oscar Presenters
- 'Bachelor In Paradise' Stars Evan Bass and Carly Waddell Welcome Baby Girl, Isabella!
- Prince Harry Has An Absolute Blast With Kiddos As He Serves Food At Their School
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux Separate After 2 Years Of Marriage
- 'Riverdale's Camila Mendes Shares Her Condolences With Her Hometown Parkland & Victims Of The Mass Shooting There
- Christina Aguilera Poses Nude For Sexy & Soapy Instagram Pics
- Amy Schumer Tells Fans She's Not Pregnant After Surprise Wedding
- Bode Miller Apologizes After Joke Suggesting Marriage Caused Skier's Downfall
- Nicole Kidman, Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan & More Stars Pack The Front Row At Calvin Klein At NYFW
- Hugh Jackman Share's A Super Sweet Wedding Picture With Wife Deb In Honor Of Valentine's Day
- Wallace tops Daytona 500 speed chart in final practice
- Auburn player Anfernee McLemore suffers gruesome leg injury
- Four NHL hockey fans kicked out over racist comments toward player
- Lindsey Vonn responds to Twitter trolls after failing to medal at Olympics
- Be like Michael Jordan? Not at Air Force Academy
- US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy quips broken thumb means he won't be able to shake Pence's hand
- Cubs' Anthony Rizzo returns home to Parkland, FL after shooting
- Massachusetts hockey coach accused of sexually abusing 8 children, including 6-year-old
- German figure skating pair sets record in gold medal win
- American Mikaela Shiffrin charges to gold in giant slalom
- Barstool Sports co-host Patrick Connor fired by KNBR after calling Olympian a 'hot piece'
- Shaun White drags American flag on ground after winning gold medal, gets lit up on social media