NEWPORT -- Voting residents of eight towns within the financially-struggling Regional School Unit 19 have once again rejected the district's request to obtain a multi-million-dollar bank loan.
Voters shot down the $2.9 million measure by a narrow 1,290 to 1,103. Just six of the eight municipalities--Newport and Corinna--voted for approval.
Last november, voters refused to authorize a $3.6 million loan.
It all comes in the wake of serious accounting errors under the previous RSU administration that left the district with a massive shortfall.
Current superintendent Greg Potter has not indicated what the district will do next.
RSU 19 comprises Corinna, Dixmont, Etna, Hartland, Newport, Palmyra, Plymouth and St. Albans.
- UPDATE: Two of Three Men Involved in Winterport Robbery Turn Themselves In
- Mental Health Awareness Conference Set for Saturday
- New State House Copper Roof House to Time Capsule
- Windham Couple Pleads Guilty to Firearm Charges
- Brunswick Man Guilty in Crack Cocaine Trafficking
- New Sharon Animal Hoarder Arrested
- Verso paper mill closing
- Knife wielding shoplifter is sentenced
- Enterovirus arrives in Maine
- Foliage Peaking in Maine
- Police Issue Warrants in Winterport Marijuana Robbery
- Fatal Crash in Bangor
- Enemy or Asset? FBI documents show radical cleric Awlaki communicated with federal agent in ‘03
- Walker opens lead in Wisconsin governor’s race amid Burke plagiarism scandal, poll finds
- Beware Craigslist dangers, security experts warn
- Battle against 'boobies' bracelets costs Pa. taxpayers nearly $400G
- Secret Service director resigns after security failures
- ‘Republicans Are People Too’: Romney ad guru has a message for America
- 5-year-old boy's skin 'falls off' after allergic reaction to medication
- Secret Service director facing calls to resign after presidential security failures
- Rhode Island child dies after contracting enterovirus D68, other infection
- Goodbye Windows Phone! Windows 10 will take it from here
- College student who plunged to death on cruise was watching Miami sunrise
- Mom of Marine held in Mexico pleads with lawmakers, as attorney says release could come soon
- Clapper, lawmakers defend intel community’s work on ISIS after Obama remarks
- Problems so bad, ObamaCare almost looks good
- America's terror alert system goes silent
- Melting Arctic ice leave 35,000 walrus stranded in northwest Alaska
- Nobody Puts J.Lo's 'Booty' in a Box
- Jennifer Love Hewitt on Being 'Criminal Minds'' New Kid on the Block
- Vanessa Hudgens Terrifies Unsuspecting Guests at Knott's Scary Farm
- EXCLUSIVE! 'Girl Code's Nicole Byer Shares Hilarious Advice That All Ladies Should Follow!
- Jennifer Lopez Defends Her 'Booty' Video, Talks 'Scary' Car Accident
- Lena Dunham: I Listened to Taylor Swift While Writing ‘Girls’
- 8 Reasons Why Tyrese Gibson Is The Absolute Best
- Mom Injures Daughter in 'Survivor' Face-off
- Man Performs At-Home Dentistry on 'Extreme Cheapskates'
- 'Stalker' Review: Kevin Williamson 'Enjoys Scaring People' And He Succeeds
- Jennifer Lopez: I Might Adopt a Child
- EXCLUSIVE: Preview Jason Aldean's 'Old Boots, New Dirt' Bonus Track 'Too Much You For Me'
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Narrowly Beat Kenny Chesney For The Week's No. 1 Album
- Rascal Flatts' Joe Don Rooney Welcomes Third Child
- Is Jennifer Lopez Ready To Adopt?
- Bumgarner, Giants blank Pirates in National League Wild Card game
- Report: Cowboys' Spillman being investigated for sexual assault
- Panthers' Alexander suspended 10 games
- 2014-15 San Jose Sharks Preview
- 2014-15 Anaheim Ducks Preview
- Tampa Bay Lightning hope to take step forward, become championship contender
- Ravens' defense works at limiting big plays, playing better overall heading into game vs Colts
- NHL Eastern Conference Preview Capsules
- Tampa Bay Lightning season capsule
- Boston Bruins season capsule
- Raiders meet with interim coach Tony Sparano before taking break for bye
- Toronto Maple Leafs at a glance
- Detroit Red Wings season capsule
- Ottawa Senators at a glance
- Montreal Canadiens at a glance
- Indianapolis' Luck on pace for greatest statistical season in franchise history