(WASHINGTON) - The Coast Guard is scheduled to release its first boating safety App Saturday as the kickoff to this year's National Safe Boating Week.
The Boating Safety Mobile app was not designed to replace a boater's marine VHF radio, which the Coast Guard strongly recommends all boaters have aboard their vessels.
Officials say the App was mainly designed to provide additional boating safety resources for mobile device users.
Features will include:
- State boating information
- A safety equipment checklist
- Free boating safety requests
- Navigation rules
- Float plans
- An Emergency Assistance button
When location services are enabled, users can receive the latest weather reports from the closest National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration weather buoys, as well as, report the location of a hazard on the water.
The Emergency Assistance button will call the closest Coast Guard command center to assist what is needed.
Personal information is stored on the phone but is not sent to the Coast Guard unless the user chooses to send it. The Coast Guard does not track a user's location, and the app does not track a user's location unless the app is being used.
National Safe Boating Week takes place May 16th - 22nd, which is an annual event that encourages all boaters to practice safe boating.
(Bar Harbor) - After extensive renovations and new ownership, The Criterion theater in Bar Harbor has opened its doors with shows already hitting the screen and stage. One show in particular stopped by our show to give us a preview on what we can expect!
Produced by the Barn Arts Collective, the show We Run the Ship, is a one-of-a-kind theater event, featuring original music, live puppet and big decisions. Each show travels throughout the performance space, as the audience members make individual and group choices that bring the story to life around them.
The talented performers, producers and educators encourage civic engagement and ecological awareness through its original music, puppetry and live interaction.
We Run the Ship will run throughout the summer at the Criterion Theater in Bar Harbor starting this Saturday, May 16th.
Starting June 25th, It will run Thursday's and Saturday's at 11 AM with tickets costing kids five dollars and eight dollars for adults.
Tickets are available at the Box office or by calling (207)-288-0829
Additional information can be found at WeRunTheShip.com or http://www.criteriontheatre.org/
PARKMAN - One man is dead and another injured following a shooting on the Packard Road in Parkman.
Sources say an adult male shot his father and police have been on the scene since about 10 p.m. last night.
Dead at the scene was 61-year-old David Grant. His son, Zachary Grant, who also was badly injured, is being treated in the Intensive Care Unit at Eastern Maine Medical Center with serious injuries.
David Grant's body has been transported to the State Medical Examiner's Office and an autopsy is now underway.
Augusta- Governor Paul LePage unveiled a bill today, aimed at creating a tiered welfare system so that recipients are encouraged to strive for high employment goals without losing their benefits. He says the current system discourages welfare recipients from moving up in the workplace. His new bill would create a tier system that ensures a person their benefits while climbing up the employment ladder until they're financially stable on their own.
BANGOR - A 25-year-old Bangor man was sentenced to 22 years in prison with all but 11 years suspended for a stabbing that occurred in Bangor last June.
Anthony Bowie was sentenced Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor.
Last month, District Court Judge Gregory Campbell rejected a plea agreement reached between the Penobscot District Attorney's Office and Bowie's attorney.
At that time Campbell called the proposed sentence of nine years in prison too lenient and sent the attorneys back to the bargaining table.
Bowie stabbed the victim in the abdomen and the head during the June fight.
The victim lost sight in one eye as a result.
A Skowhegan man is accused of stealing a car and leading police on a chase.
Authorities say a Chevy Cavalier was taken from a home on Pooler Avenue early Saturday morning.
An officer later spotted the car and attempted to pull it over, but the driver took off.
After a brief chase, police say 32 year old Thomas Bouchard stopped the vehicle, but he got out and fled on foot near the Sappi Paper Mill.
Police from several agencies gave chase and ending up using a taser on Bouchard to place him under arrest.
He's now facing a number of charges including failing to stop for an officer, operating after suspension and unauthorized use of property.
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Man arrested for sexual assault, his victim is 11 year old girl
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- Final Oregon refuge occupier turns himself in
- World's longest-surviving heart transplant patient dies
- 'House of Cards': It's Frank vs. Claire in the Season 4 trailer
- Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
- Meryl Streep responds to questions about diversity: 'We’re all Africans really'
- Downing of EgyptAir 990 inspired 9/11 plot, says Al Qaeda newsletter
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50