A man from Norridgewock will spend a very long time in prison.
28 year old Patrik Arsenault has been sentenced to 65 years after pleading to child pornography and sexual exploitation of a minor.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says Arsenault was a special education teacher when he sexually abused three minors and recorded video of the incidents.
He then shared the video with others, as well as other images of child pornography.
He was arrested in August of 2013 when agents raided his home and seized his computer.
An examination of his hard drive turned up over 75-hundred images and 250 videos depicting child porn.
"Despicable crimes like this rob our children of their innocence. We entrust teachers to serve as role models for our children and safeguard their welfare. As this sentence makes clear, when that trust is violated, there will be severe consequences," said Bruce Foucart, special agent in charge of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in Boston. "This case should also serve as a stern warning to those who mistakenly believe cyberspace affords them anonymity on the Internet to sexually exploit children with impunity."
U.S. Attorney Delahanty commended the work of HSI Special Agent Anthony Castellanos, the Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit and the Bangor Police Department noting that “this case was quickly solved because these law enforcement agencies worked closely together. It was their hard work and diligence in identifying the defendant after his activity had been discovered that brought him to justice. These cases are very difficult because of the subject matter, but also because of the necessity to link the defendant to the disturbing images and on-line conduct. The agents continued persistence also limited the exposure of the minors to further exploitation.” U.S. Attorney Delahanty added: “People who engage in this conduct should expect to receive very lengthy sentences.”
The investigation was conducted jointly by HSI, the Maine State Police, the Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit and the Bangor Police Department. This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.
Maine police are keeping their eyes open for a murder suspect who may be coming to our state.
66 year old Harold "Butch" Knight is a suspect in the death of his wife, 48 year old Sara Lee Knight. She was found strangled to death last week in their home. Michigan news sources report the couple had recently moved to Michigan from Maine and authorities say they had reason to believe Harold Knight may try to return to the Turner area where he still has ties. He apparently purchased a pistol and ammunition before he left. Michican authorities say there have been reports that Knight has been spotted in Maine, but according to our Department of Public Safety there haven't been any confirmed sightings and the Michigan sheriff was citing information that was a week old. Still, people are being asked to keep their eyes open for Knight who was last driving a light green Subaru, Forester.
A man has died after getting struck by a vehicle in Bangor this week.
Police say 55 year old Timothy Gotto passed away last night while being treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center.Gotto was struck by an s-10 pickup Monday night while crossing Outer Hammond Street near the Leadbetters convenience store.Police say he was a transient who was from the town of Mexico, but had recently been staying in Bangor.No charges have been filed against the driver.Bangor police are still trying to determine how the accident happened.
Social Security announces as a result of Congress’ approval of the fiscal year 2015 budget, the agency will expand its hours nationwide and offices will be open to the public for an additional hour on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, effective March 16, 2015. A field office that is usually open from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. will remain open until 4:00 p.m. Offices will continue to close to the public at noon every Wednesday so employees have time to complete current work and reduce backlogs.
“This expansion of office hours reaffirms our commitment to providing the people we serve the option of top-notch, face-to-face assistance in field offices even as we work to expand online services for those who prefer that flexibility,” said Carolyn W. Colvin, Acting Commissioner of Social Security. “The public expects and deserves world-class customer service and thanks to approved funding, I am pleased we will continue our tradition of exceptional service.”
In recent years, Social Security reduced public office hours due to congressional budget cuts, growing backlogs and staffing losses. The agency began recovery in fiscal year 2014 by replacing some field office staffing losses and providing overtime support to process critical work. With the commitment of resources in fiscal year 2015, the agency is able to restore some service hours to the public.
Most Social Security business does not require a visit to a local field office. Many services, including applying for retirement, disability and Medicare benefits, creating a my Social Security account, replacing a Medicare card, or reporting a change of address or telephone number are conveniently available anytime at www.socialsecurity.gov. Social Security also offers assistance via a toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (Voice) and 1-800-325-0778 (TTY). Representatives are available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
You will learn tips and techniques for getting the word out to potential customers for your agriculture products from Donna Coffin, Extension Educator on Wednesday, February 11th from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the UMaine Extension office, 165 East Main Street, Dover-Foxcroft.
The cost of this workshop is $10 and you can register through Piscataquis Valley Adult Education Cooperative. Call 207-564-6525 or http://pvaec.maineadulted.org/
Different customers have different preferences for learning about local agricultural products. We will discuss the variety of ways you can contact customers including business cards, flyers, community groups, traditional media, Internet, email, Facebook, etc.
Donna Coffin is the University of Maine Cooperative Extension Educator in Piscataquis County for over 30 years. Her area of expertise includes sustainable agriculture and home horticulture. She received her Master of Science degree from the University of Maine in Animal Science in the area of animal nutrition.
For more information or to request a disability accommodation, call 207-564-3301 or in Maine 1-800-287-1491