AUGUSTA - Thousands of Mainers have struggled through this bitter cold winter. That issue was the focus of a press conference in Augusta Tuesday. Governor Paul LePage has a plan that looks to use a number of alternative heating solutions to help resolve the issue, but it's a proposal that's very similar to a bill that he vetoed in 2013.
MILLINOCKET - Millinocket police are investigating after finding the body of a 33 year-old man inside a Katahdin Avenue apartment building.
Maine's attorney general is among those calling on drug chains to stop selling tobacco.
They want them to follow the lead of the CVS pharmacy chain--which has agreed to stop selling cigarettes and other forms of tobacco in their stores by October.
The attorneys general from 28 states say the businesses increasingly market themselves as sources of community care--which sends a mixed message when they also sell tobacco.
They want Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens and other drug chains to help people kick the habit.
The State Fire Marshal's Office says a Randolph man suffered serious smoke inhalation Monday evening in a fire at his home. 60 year old Richard Messer is being treated at Maine Medical Center in Portland. Fire Investigators said the fire started from a metal stove pipe attached to the fireplace in the house. The two story log cabin style home, located at 38 Mill Road, was destroyed. Both Messer and his wife were home at the time of the fire and escaped, but Messer then went back into the house - three times - attempting to rescue the family's cats. Three of the them were rescued, although some additional cats were not. Messer was stopped by first responders from entering the house a fourth time, after they arrived on scene. Messer was initially taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral in Augusta and later transferred to the Portland hospital