The U.S. Supreme Court has denied the Governor's request to hear a controversial case.
It all stems from his plan to drop Mainecare coverage for 19 and 20 year olds.
Lepage was denied a waiver from the program and also lost when the First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously against the administration in November.
Now the U.S. Supreme court is refusing to hear the case which means the lower courts ruling will stand and that coverage will continue.
Attorney General Janet Mills opposed Lepage's effort to win the battle in court, saying his case lacked legal merit.
The following is a press release issued by Mills Monday morning.
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
US Supreme Court denies Governor’s request to argue case to drop MaineCare coverage for 19 &20 year olds
The unanimous ruling of the Federal 1st Circuit Court of Appeals stands, requiring LePage Administration to continue covering needy 19 and 20 year-olds in the MaineCare program
(AUGUSTA) The United States Supreme Court has denied a request to hear a case sought by the LePage Administration to drop MaineCare coverage for 19 and 20 year olds. The order released on Monday morning denied certiorari in the case of Mayhew v. Burwell.
Attorney General Janet T. Mills has opposed the effort by the LePage administration in this case, citing a lack of legal merit in their position. This is the third time the Administration’s efforts have been rebuffed in a legal setting.
“The unanimous decision by the three-judge panel of the 1st Circuit was correct and there was no reason for the US Supreme Court to take this case,” said Attorney General Janet T. Mills. “I respect the earnestness with which the Governor sought to advance his argument, but I have felt all along that it lacked legal merit. As an independent constitutional officer I take seriously my duty to offer unvarnished legal advice and to uphold the rule of law, and I will continue to do so.”
In 2012 the LePage Administration sought a waiver from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to drop coverage for the 19 and 20 year olds from the state’s MaineCare (Medicaid) program. The State of Maine began covering this group during the economic crisis of 1991 and the Affordable Care Act requires that coverage continue until 2019. That request for a waiver was denied and the decision was upheld in an administrative hearing. The LePage Administration appealed that ruling to the Federal Court. Attorney General Janet T. Mills declined to represent the Administration, citing a lack of legal merit in their position. After she allowed the administration to hire outside counsel, Attorney General Mills intervened in the public interest and against the LePage Administration. In November 2014, the First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously against the Administration. The denial by the US Supreme Court to hear the case brings this case to a close and requires the state to provide medical care under MaineCare to approximately 7,000 low income young adults who are not eligible for insurance subsidies under the Affordable Care Act.
“Many of these young Mainers are in transition from childhood to adulthood, are working at the corner store, the big box stores, the gas stations and the donut shops, trying to make a living in this state,” said Attorney General Mills. “If they break a leg, if they are hit by a car or if they require hospitalization, they have no way to pay for it. No other insurance is available except the safety net of MaineCare.”
Police are searching for vandals who targeted a cemetery in the town of Carthage.
The Franklin County Sheriff's Department reports that someone toppled headstones and ripped apart flags that had been placed on graves.
They believe it happened between Saturday night and Sunday morning when the vandalism was discovered.
Anyone who has information or saw anything suspicious at the Winter Hill Cemetery is urged to contact the Franklin County Sheriff's Department at 778-2680.
More law enforcement agencies are turning to social media to help capture suspects and to share important information.
It has paid off once again.
The Waldo County Sheriff's Department posted pictures of a theft suspect last week and reported today that the suspect had been captured.
It happened at the Troy General Store.
A customer had placed some money on the counter and someone grabbed it when the customer was momentarily distracted.
The Sheriff's Department says it has since heard from 61 year old Paul Dunphy of Clinton who told them he had heard his picture was circulating on Facebook and he was the one responsible for the theft.
He's now charged with theft and the Sheriff's Department is thanking folks who helped solve the case.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- How a cruise ship navigates a storm
- NYC cop on trial for deadly stairwell shooting breaks down on the stand
- NASA bans the word 'Jesus'
- Governors roar into NH primary, seek to disrupt Rubio's 'Marcomentum'
- Former ISIS sex slaves now army of ‘Sun Ladies’ ready to defeat terror group
- Runner dies after starting 5-mile Krispy Kreme Challenge
- At least 2 killed in apartment fight involving bats, sticks
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50