Safety Officials Warn About Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

BANGOR - While it is fun to go and play out in the snow... there are a number of dangers that can come with it... one of which involves home and car ventilation.
Incidents in Biddeford and Augusta yesterday are causing safety officials to warn homeowners and businesses to make sure vents are clear.  In Biddeford, five people were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  It happened after outside vents for their propane furnace became clogged with snow.  In Augusta, a blocked roof vent at Turnpike Mall brought firefighters out in force... though no injuries were reported.  
 
Fire officials are now warning that clogged vents can back up the poisonous gas.  If your vehicle gets buried in snow make sure the exhaust pipe is clear before you start your engine.  This colorless odorless gas can leak back into your car and be deadly.
Erin Thomas

Reporter
[email protected]

Erin joined the ABC-7 and FOX Bangor news team in February 2012. She was born and raised in Presque Isle, Maine where she attended Presque Isle High School.  While in college Erin interned in the WVII news room before working as a Production Assistant.  In May of 2012, Erin received her Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from the University of Maine, along with a minor in Anthropology.  When she's not out covering local news, Erin enjoys running, skiing, visiting with family and friends, and traveling around this beautiful state.  She is especially interested in outdoor adventure so if you have a story idea, send it her way!

Video Biography

  • Social Links:
back to top

What's On Tonight

Fox Bangor

8:00 PM

Kitchen Nightmares

10:00 PM

Fox 22 News at 10

11:00 PM

Monk

WVII

8:00 PM

Last Man Standing

8:31 PM

Last Man Standing

9:00 PM

Shark Tank

10:01 PM

20/20

11:00 PM

ABC 7 News @ 11

11:35 PM

Jimmy Kimmel Live

Latest Tweets