BELFAST - A local convenience store gutted by fire Tuesday night in Belfast, and for area residents it comes as a shock.
"Someone knocked on my door and said the store was on fire," James Mulholland, of Belfast, says. "I said 'what?', and they were like, yes the store is on fire across the road."
This is the aftermath of Tuesday night's fire that destroyed the inside of Goose River Grocery.
Officials say the blaze was reported around 9 o'clock that night on Swan Lake Avenue, just 30 minutes after it closed.
"I saw people running in and out, firefighters that is," Mulholland says. "I couldn't really see inside, but it didn't look that good. Looked like everything was messy with soot and stuff like that."
Intense damage to the interior of the store, minimal to the outside.
Officials still determining a cause of the fire, but believe it originated in the kitchen. This coming after plans for reconstruction.
"They were rebuilding that over," Mulholland says. "They put a lot of work and money into that. It's really too bad something like this happened."
This fire comes as a blow to many area residents, some who are on a first name basis with some of the employees who are now without a job.
"You've got Jessie, Dakota, Annie," Mulholland says. "I think they're gonna be out of work for a while, but I hope not too long."
Those families on the minds of many residents in the area, hoping the community will come to support this local store to bring it back to its bustling days.
"Breakfast time they were just swarming," Mulholland explains.
The State Fire Marshal's Office will assess the damage Thursday and try to determine a cause of the blaze.
No word on if the business was insured.