PALERMO - The Maine Forest Rangers and crews from several fire departments responding to a large grass fire late Tuesday afternoon in the town of Palermo.
Officials say the blaze spread quickly across more than two acres of land. It happened in a wooded area behind a home at the intersection of Route 3 and the Banton Road.
Fire officials tell us the homeowner had tossed ashes from a wood stove outside, two days ago. The wind picked up Tuesday, and likely sparked the blaze.
The homeowner tried to put it out with a hose, but was unsuccessful. The Forest Ranger helicopter assisted crews in battling the fire.