Officials said it was late Thursday night when Rita Lessard was awoken by smoke detectors going off in the home along Route 3. She managed to get out safely, but her husband Richard, 82, was still inside.
A Maine State Police detective happened to be driving by and went inside the home to pull Mr. Lessard to safety. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The house was flattened and fire marshal's said they wont be able to determine a cause because of the damage. They believe it started in an attached garage that was being heated with a wood-stove.
The couple also lost their two vehicles along with their home and garage.