Tuesday, 05 December 2017 16:31

Staying healthy during the holidays Featured

Written by 

BANGOR - It's easy to fall off of your diet during the holiday season with all the sweet treats and holiday parties.

Did you ever stop to think how much weight you gain?

 

You go to your holiday event and think "it's just one cookie or one more drink, I'll start my diet again on Monday."

 

Owner of Wilcox wellness and fitness Paige Wilcox said "We're met with a lot of resistance come January. Everyone says oh I'll just make up for it in January and start again and that's not what it's about you want to feel good the whole purpose is to feel good and enjoy your family during the holidays."

 

While many may think you gain a ton a weight during the holidays.

 

Director of food and nutrition services Valerie Langbein said "Believe it or not statistically only about a pound jumps on to us magically or not so magically during the holiday season."

 

She says that doesn't mean that that's a green light to overindulged.

 

"Be very mindful no matter what you're eating and drinking so drinking you can really get a lot of calories in just through liquids be very very mindful of that. Other foods obviously the foods that are very high in calories or those foods that it's hard for you to say one is fine" said Langbein.

 

Co owner of Wilcox fitness Mike Wilcox says staying active during the holidays is very important. You can even do simple exercises at home. "Jumping jacks these can be done two ways arms way up over the crown of your head and you can also do this by stepping. Or a push up of your choice."

 

When it comes to baking be mindful of what you're putting in your desserts.

 

"Focus on the plant foods and really try to minimize the stuff that you would add to those plant foods" said Langbein.

 

Something people should keep in mind is the 80-20 rule.

 

"80 percent of the time be on point in terms of diet and nutrition and exercise so that you can really enjoy the other 20 percent" said Wilcox.

 

To find out about Wilcoxs healthy kick-start program click here

Shonna Narine

Reporter
[email protected]

Shonna Narine joined the ABC7 and FOX22 team in August 2017. Originally from Long Island (although she hides her accent for TV) she's excited to see what Maine has to offer.

She graduated from Five Towns College in Dix Hills Long Island where she anchored for their TV Club, and had her own radio show called "All Access Entertainment."

She won an outstanding achievement award and graduated on the dean's list.

Prior to graduation Shonna interned at News12 Long Island.

Shonna comes from a big family. With three older sisters, her parents, and six nieces and nephews there's never a dull moment when she's around them. When she's not working she enjoys working out, dancing, spending time with her fiance, and planning her wedding! Shonna would love to hear if you have any story ideas. You can email her at [email protected].