Sunday, 30 April 2017 23:44

Sparks from chainsaw start apartment building blaze Featured

Written by 
Sparks from chainsaw start apartment building blaze

WATERVILLE - An office and apartment building caught fire Saturday evening, after the owner was working on the roof.

The owner at 13 College Ave. was using a chainsaw to remove part of the roof to start constructing a second floor above the office portion Around 5:40 p.m. Saturday.

 

When the chainsaw developed a fuel leak and the owner went to shut the saw off, it ignited the fuel on the roof.

 

The fire spread from the office building roof into the attached apartment building, causing extensive damage to the third floor of the apartment building.

 

The Waterville Fire Department extinguished the fire by 6:40 p.m. No one was injured and the building is insured.

 

One occupant is being put up in a hotel by the owner.

David Guildford

Weekend Anchor/Reporter
[email protected]

David joined the news team in March of 2017. First and foremost he is a proud Mainer. Before reporting for ABC7 and FOX22, he interned at WLBZ2 in Bangor, and attended the University of Maine's journalism program.

David was raised in the western Maine foothills, and has been a lifelong viewer of local Maine news. He hopes to bring this perspective to telling the stories of folks in the community.

When not on the job, David enjoys skiing, snowmobiling, spending time at the family camp on Branch Lake, and playing slow-pitch softball with the other Bangor gym class heroes.