It has been confirmed WABI-TV in Bangor has been sold to the Gray Broadcasting Company. It's purchasing it from the station's parent company, Diversified Communications, for $85 million dollars. As part of the deal, Gray Broadcasting will own both WABI and its sister station WCJB in Gainesville, Florida. WABI was Maine's first television station. It has been owned by the Hildreth family since going on the air in 1953. It's unclear what changes people can expect under the new ownership. The deal is expected to be finalized in the coming weeks.
BREAKING: WABI is sold to Gray Broadcasting Co. FeaturedWritten by Craig Colson
BREAKING: Bangor-Maine's oldest television station has a new owner.
Craig Colson became news director and anchor at WVII ABC 7 and WFVX Fox Bangor in December of 2012. He began his career in broadcasting in 1985 while working as a news photographer at another Bangor television station. Craig worked his way up through the ranks and became the main anchor for the nightly newscasts before leaving in 2009. At that point, he became news director for four local radio stations and delivered the morning news before taking on his current position.
Craig grew up in a "news family" and followed in the footsteps of his father who was also a news director and anchor. His brother is also a news photographer at a Boston television station.
Craig's career has brought him all over-reporting from everywhere from Washington D.C. to Red Square in Moscow, Russia. When he isn't reporting the news, Craig can be found taking on new adventures with his two daughters or exploring the coast of Maine in his kayak. His other passion is making furniture in his shop or just about anything involving the outdoors.
- Child sets raging Augusta apartment fire
- Cole Land Transportation Museum is open and looking for volunteers
- Woman accused of helping murder suspect
- Plan to cut down on welfare fraud will require drug testing to receive benefits
- Bill to ban purchase of marijuana with TANF could be a challenge to enforce
- Winterport needs school board member and time running out
- Logging truck crashes in New Limerick
- One dog lost in apartment building blaze
- Senator wants to initiate a pilot program to address behavioral issues in pre-schoolers
- Governor LePage to testify against National Monument on Capitol Hill
- "My Day to Play" offered unique experiences for children with autism
- UMaine marches for science in response to EPA cuts
- Eddington fire under investigation
- 9th Annual MEMA conference on April 25 & 26
- Belfast Police busy with new found friends in cruiser
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge work starts Monday
- Mercedes Schlapp on Michael Flynn asking for immunity
- Russia investigation: Adam Schiff releases statement after viewing docs shown to Nunes
- Anti-allergy medicine EpiPen recall expands to US
- Company linked to Trump-Russian dossier has its own Kremlin connection, US senator says
- Kushner retains scores of real estate holdings while in WH
- Illinois teen dies after being punched at party
- Navy destroyer has close encounter with Iran vessel in Persian Gulf
- Tucker: Obama taking $400K from Wall Street is indefensible
- Tourist hit by hammock blown off building in New York City
- Daphne Oz dishes on her co-hosts on 'The Chew'
- Simon the giant rabbit, destined to be world's biggest, dies on United Airlines flight
- Navy destroyer has close encounter with Iranian vessel in Persian Gulf
- Last words haunt surviving teen's sentencing in fatal fire
- Baltimore tops 100 homicides so far in 2017
- Legal battles brewing over ex-NFL star's estate
- Texas advocates push longshot pot bills with veterans, moms
- Chinese court sentences US businesswoman accused of spying
- Officer who found boy's body testifies at dad's murder trial
- 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Sets Release Date
- Tom Cavanagh Talks Directing 'The Flash'
- Beyoncé Marks 'Lemonade' Anniversary With Launch Of New Scholarship Program
- Drake To Host First-Ever NBA Awards
- Scott Baio Clarifies Comments About Late 'Happy Days' Co-Star Erin Moran After Backlash
- Former 'Bachelor' Chris Soules Arrested, Charged With Leaving The Scene Of An Accident Where There Was A Death
- Faye Dunaway Talks Oscars Best Picture Mix-Up
- Elton John Cancels Multiple Concerts After 'Rare & Potentially Deadly' Infection
- 'Chicago P.D.': Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Serena Williams Pens Heartfelt Message To Her Unborn Child: 'I Can't Wait To Meet You'
- Access Hollywood Wants To Send You To Universal Orlando Resort™
- 'iZombie's' Rahul Kohli Talks 'Supergirl' Role
- After inconsistent season, Lundqvist shining in postseason
- Working overtime: Extra hockey may take its toll on players
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.: 'I wanted to go out on my own terms'
- Tampa Bay Rays at Baltimore Orioles game preview (4/25/17)
- Halep, Cornet give Sharapova wild-card debate new impetus
- Why Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a first-ballot lock for the NASCAR Hall of Fame
- Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu shares heartwarming letter from family
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire after the 2017 season
- Blues get faceoff leader back with Paul Stastny
- Chris Archer gives up 3 HRs, Rays fall to Orioles
- John Stevens believes small changes will be big for LA Kings
- Serena Williams slams Ilie Nastase for 'racist comments' about her unborn child