It has been confirmed WABI-TV in Bangor has been sold to the Gray Broadcasting Company. It's purchasing it from the station's parent company, Diversified Communications, for $85 million dollars. As part of the deal, Gray Broadcasting will own both WABI and its sister station WCJB in Gainesville, Florida. WABI was Maine's first television station. It has been owned by the Hildreth family since going on the air in 1953. It's unclear what changes people can expect under the new ownership. The deal is expected to be finalized in the coming weeks.
BREAKING: WABI is sold to Gray Broadcasting Co. FeaturedWritten by Craig Colson
BREAKING: Bangor-Maine's oldest television station has a new owner.
Craig Colson became news director and anchor at WVII ABC 7 and WFVX Fox Bangor in December of 2012. He began his career in broadcasting in 1985 while working as a news photographer at another Bangor television station. Craig worked his way up through the ranks and became the main anchor for the nightly newscasts before leaving in 2009. At that point, he became news director for four local radio stations and delivered the morning news before taking on his current position.
Craig grew up in a "news family" and followed in the footsteps of his father who was also a news director and anchor. His brother is also a news photographer at a Boston television station.
Craig's career has brought him all over-reporting from everywhere from Washington D.C. to Red Square in Moscow, Russia. When he isn't reporting the news, Craig can be found taking on new adventures with his two daughters or exploring the coast of Maine in his kayak. His other passion is making furniture in his shop or just about anything involving the outdoors.
- College of the Atlantic opens its Farm day to the public
- Multiple State AG's investigate opioid manufacturers
- "Cyber Safety Summit Event," held in Brewer Wednesday covered many topics for area businesses
- A.C.L.U. challenges abortion law from 1979
- Different rider caused deadly motorcycle crash
- Canadian sentenced in narwhal tusk case
- Job fair at Cross Insurance Center
- Acadia National Park crews working to preserve landmark
- Knox County police are asking parents and kids to be vigilant
- Waterville "Day of Thanks" saw a huge turnout
- Travis Mills was on hand for the "Celebrating Excellence Awards"
- Officials need helping finding a medical marijuana thief
- Deadly Falmouth accident closes I-295 for hours
- Woman dies in fatal Auburn crash
- China house fire is deemed arson
- White nationalist Christopher Cantwell denied bond on felony charges in Charlottesville rally
- Ethan Hawke prayed on being a priest, hoped God didn't want it for him
- Florida teacher asks students to use gender-neutral pronouns, angering parents
- Cassidy fires back at Kimmel in health bill feud: 'Jimmy doesn't understand'
- Hurricane Maria regains power, leaves Puerto Rico powerless
- Judge Andrew Napolitano: Trump's frightening and tightening legal noose
- Parrot goes viral after placing Amazon order
- Egyptian Cabinet expands grounds for withdrawing citizenship
- London bombing update: Police arrest 6th suspect
- Watchdog: nuclear warheads still building up in 4 countries
- Pope promises 'firmest measures possible' against pedophiles
- Malaysia police say beer festival axed due to security fears
- Mexico still hoping to reach survivors at collapsed school
- Johnny Cash's former manager tackled singer's drug battles but quit over religious differences, book claims
- Sorority sisters face probe for singing Kanye West song containing n-word
- Trump sounded like 'barking dog' at UN, North Korean official says
- Florida teacher was found with 2 drunk teens in car, police say
- Duterte reportedly orders cops to kill son if drug smuggling 'rumors' are true
- Ryan Phillippe Breaks His Silence On Assault Allegations
- Emilia Clarke Goes 'Khaleesi' Blonde For The First Time
- Russell Wilson Teaches Football To Ciara's Son
- Sterling K. Brown Shows Off His Emmy – And His Abs!
- 5-Ingredient Fall Dinners from Craftsy
- Blue Ivy Plays Dress-Up With Beyoncé's Clothes
- Googling Avril Lavigne Could Kill Your Computer
- Miley Cyrus Reveals Track List For New Album 'Younger Now'
- Shonda Rhimes Puts People On Blast For Treating Her Differently Before Weight Loss
- Alicia Vikander is Lara Croft in the new 'Tomb Raider' Trailer!
- 'Riverdale’ Hotties KJ Appa and Charles Melton Hit The Soccer Field For Charity
- Halle Berry Flashes Her Rear Assets In Sheer Dress On The Red Carpet
- Colts QB Brissett can't let pick affect him in his second chance as starter
- Chiefs RB Hunt has a clear request: 'Stop sleeping on me'
- Girl hit by foul ball at Yankees game hospitalized
- Adam Gase says Lawrence Timmons may yet rejoin Dolphins
- Padres beat Diamondbacks 6-2 for 2nd win series
- Blues' Steen to miss rest of camp with hand injury
- 5 Wheaton College football players charged in hazing attack on roommate
- Miami Heat to hold training camp at Florida Atlantic
- Marlins rally in 9th, walk-off in 10th to take 2nd straight from Mets
- Connor Brickley scores twice, lifts Panthers to preseason split-squad victory over Predators
- A lot needs to change for Bengals to salvage season
- Blues and FSMW announce 2017-18 TV schedule