Jon Alba joined ABC 7 and FOX 22 in September of 2015 to serve as sports director and anchor. He is a graduate of Quinnipiac University, where he served as general manager of the school's television station Q30 Television for two years.
During his tenure, Q30 was named "College Television Station of the Year" by the College Media Association in 2014, and picked up additional national award recognition as well. Jon has been acknowledged by the Society of Professional Journalists for his commitment to sports journalism, including his investigative work while covering Quinnipiac Athletics.
Prior to moving to Maine, Jon was a lifelong resident of New Jersey. There, he formed a passion for covering sports, knowing since age 5 he wanted to tell stories for a living.
In the past, Jon has worked at MLB Network, alongside MLB Advanced Media. Additionally, his work has been featured on AOL Sports. He can be contacted at [email protected] or on Twitter @JonAlba.
AUGUSTA - Everyone loves a good upset come tournament time, but the Hampden Academy Broncos did not want to be on the wrong side of history Friday night.
No. 8 Gardiner held a lead at the half over the No. 1 seed, but the Broncos used forward Bailey Donovan's size to capitalize down the stretch and earn a 37-29 win.
BANGOR - There are three things that are certain in life: Death, taxes, and Orono boys basketball being competitive in the state basketball tournament. With the Red Riots slipping into the Class B North Quarterfinals as a No. 11 seed, the team was poised to make a run again, but it ran into Presque Isle.
Griffin Guerrette had 36 for the Wildcats, with 22 coming in the fourth quarter, helping Presque Isle advance with a 65-54 win.
BANGOR - John Bapst fell to the No. 2 seed in Class B North in the final game of the regular season with a loss to Hermon, which would ultimately set it up for a matchup with No. 7 Waterville in the quarterfinals. The Purple Panthers almost proved to be an unlucky draw.
Waterville used a late run to pull within one point after trailing by 14, but Bapst managed to pull it out at the end to win 52-48. The Crusaders now have No. 6 Winslow in the semifinals.
BANGOR - No. 3 MDI found itself in an ideal position in a parity-laden Class B North going into the quarterfinals of the state basketball tournament, but it would be parity that would reign supreme for the Trojans.
The Winslow Black Raiders did not fret against the higher seed, blitzing from the opening whistle and advancing to the semifinals with a 55-34 win. Winslow now gets No. 2 John Bapst in the next round.
SKOWHEGAN - For more than 20 years, there has been no doubt who is in charge at Skowhegan boys basketball practices. His voice resonates throughout the gym, barking orders at players, but also offering words of encouragement aided with a laugh.
ORONO - For several years, like most softball squads, the University of Maine has relied on an ace to be the rock. Erin Bogdanovich, the former America East Pitcher of the Year, occupied that spot for the past several seasons.
HARTFORD, Conn. - Just two games separated Binghamton and Maine men's basketball coming into Thursday, as the two battled for the final playoff spot in America East. While they didn't directly face one another, the pressure is now on for UMaine.
A Binghamton win put the pressure on Maine, which lost to Hartford 67-63 on the road and leads the Bearcats by just one game in the standings.
BANGOR - The race to an America East Championship is on in the women's basketball spectrum, and Maine and Albany entered Wednesday night tied for first place. But it would be the last place squad that would give the Black Bears a run for their money.
The River Hawks of UMass Lowell battled the Black Bears to the end, but late free throws allowed Maine to pull off a 70-65 win.
MOUNT DESERT ISLAND - Mark Shields spent more than 20 years patrolling the sidelines for the MDI Trojans football team, but now a familiar face is set to take over the program this summer.
- Retired NYC sanitation worker makes $285K a year from pension
- Woman who cared for Florida gunman reportedly wants to control his inheritance
- Florida student brought knife to school, had list of student names, cops say
- Trump on preventing mass shootings: 'we're going to get it done'
- Secret new charges filed against Manafort, Gates in Mueller probe
- Grammy-winning Christian singer: Billy Graham, the power of one life
- America has two gun cultures: Don't blame law-abiding gun owners for murders
- Top DOJ official Rachel Brand fires back at claims she bolted over Mueller probe concerns
- Fishermen hook two Great White Sharks in 10 minutes: 'I couldn't believe it'
- Florida students walk out of schools, press lawmakers for tougher gun laws
- YouTube apologizes for top trending conspiracy video that claimed Parkland survivor is an actor
- Terrifying attempted rape of coffee shop barista caught on video
- Maryland police officer shot and killed is second cop murdered in 12 hours
- States face flooding, other problems in Midwest amid storms
- Unions sound alarm as Supreme Court takes up fees fight; Gorsuch seen as pivotal vote
- Polish kidnap suspect says model agreed to plot
- Defiant ESPN star Jemele Hill on claim Trump is a white supremacist: 'I still stand by what I said'
- Media accused of manipulating Florida victims
- Kate Middleton Rubs Shoulders With Anna Winter & Stella McCartney At Fashion Event
- R. Kelly Has Been Evicted From Two Atlanta Homes Over $30K In Unpaid Rent
- Katherine Heigl Shows Off Post-Baby Body 14 Months After Giving Birth To Son Joshua
- Ciara Shares Sweet First Father-Daughter Photo Of Russell Wilson & Baby Sienna
- 'Saturday Night Live' Alum Colin Quinn Shares Update After Valentine's Day Heart Attack
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals She Outweighs Her Son Mason By Just 36 Pounds
- Hilary Duff Mourns Her Beloved Dog In Heartbreaking Goodbye Post
- Fergie Speaks Out Following Her NBA All-Star Game Performance: I 'Honestly Tried My Best'
- Jennifer Lawrence Stuns In Dior At The 'Red Sparrow' European Premiere
- Aaron Rodgers & Danica Patrick Share A Kiss At Daytona 500
- Cardi B Dances To Her Hit 'Bartier Cardi' While Snacking At The NBC All-Stars Game
- Ansel Elgort Is An Uncle: See The Sweet Photo Of Him & His Niece
- Rick Pitino says Louisville should sue NCAA over vacated wins, title
- US figure skaters suffer rough falls during women's short program in Winter Olympics
- Canadian skier Chris Del Bosco suffers possible pelvis injury after serious crash at Winter Olympics
- Mark Cuban under fire following expose alleging rampant sexual misconduct in Dallas Mavericks workplace
- Team USA men's hockey eliminated in shootout in Olympic quarterfinals
- Lindsey Vonn earns bronze in likely last Olympic downhill
- North Korean skater disqualified after falling in Olympic pre-heat; some onlookers claim dirty play
- Louisville to vacate 2013 basketball title as sex scandal punishment
- Russian curler Alexander Krushelnitsky tested positive for Winter Olympics doping, ROC says
- Ex-NFL player who planned murder of pregnant girlfriend seeks custody of son
- Hero, harasser or both? Shaun White’s newly complex legacy
- First Olympian to win skiing medal for UK was born in US