- Category: Entertainment Tonight
- Created on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 05:26
- Written by Fox Bangor / ABC 7 News Team
- Hits: 952
It's hard to think of James Cameron's The Terminator starring anyone other than Linda Hamilton, Michael Biehn, and Arnold Schwarzenegger as the killer cyborg from the future.
Back in January of 1983, an offer of $350,000 went out to Sting to take on the role of Kyle Reese, but the Police frontman was not able to accommodate with a world tour coming that June as well as a May 13th commitment to star in Dune (and the world would definitely not want to miss seeing him in that spiky red hair and ridiculous futuristic Speedo, right?).
Yet to break out into major stardom with Desperately Seeking Susan opposite Madonna, Rosanna Arquette was keen to star in Terminator as Sarah Connor after the idea was pitched to her in an elevator, but her agent's $250,000 salary request was shot down and an agreement couldn't be reached. Little House on the Prairie star Melissa Sue Anderson was considered "young, eager" and "seems right" for the part, but that did not work out either, nor did it for Jessica Harper or Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Other stars considered for the role of Reese included Christopher Reeve (who had a $1 million price tag, but ultimately passed on the project), Mel Gibson, Matt Dillon, Kurt Russell, Treat Williams, Tommy Lee Jones, Scott Glenn, Michael O'Keefe, and even Bruce Springsteen, in what would have been his big-screen debut. But agents thought the film's schedule would conflict with The Boss's tour rehearsal and thought his answer "would be negative."
With none of the hot names in Hollywood thrown around able to be roped in for various reasons, then-unknowns Hamilton and Biehn were cast opposite Schwarzenegger, the biggest name of the cast following his box office success as Conan the Barbarian. A big "Conan freak," Cameron always wanted the Austrian bodybuilder to play his relentless killing machine character, but another, bigger name at the time had also been bandied about by agents as the action project was being put together: O.J. Simpson.
Terminator Vault: The Complete Story Behind the Making of The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day from Voyageur Press, with a foreward by Arnold himself, is available now.
- Benefit for motorcycle crash victims
- Several dogs killed in fire
- Second robbery suspect arrested
- Students launch boats built with community volunteers
- Protest takes place outside of Congressman Poliquins' Bangor office
- Students celebrate Acadia's 100th birthday
- A giant American Flag is once again flying high in Trenton
- A Kenduskeag woman run over by her own car in Orrington
- Bangor PD rescued wayward cat
- They've come up with a great way to support the local food pantry in Machias
- Brick dedication honors fallen Maine Troop Greeters
- Paper mill officially ended production, now town is reinventing their image with new solar project
- New "Talking" crosswalk installed
- Daisy Scouts help release salmon into river
- Cruz wins majority of delegates at Virginia convention
- Johnson wins Libertarian Party presidential nomination
- Police hunt for active shooter after 2 killed, 1 wounded in Houston
- Teen girls charged with throwing bunny against a wall
- Pakistan: DNA test confirms Taliban head's death
- Sanders: Americans, superdelegates must 'take a hard look' at IG report on Clinton emails
- Teenage rodeo performer trampled to death by horse
- A UFO? Video captures strange object near Ohio military base
- Israel media: Police recommend indicting Netanyahu's wife
- UAE media say US businessman gets 15 years prison
- Trump aide Lewandowski defends Martinez criticism, says focus should be jobs and economy
- Johnny Depp has had a terrible week
- US bomb from World War II defused at German airport
- 3 handy Netflix tricks you'll use time and time again
- Parishioners to leave closed church after 11-year protest
- Tropical Storm Bonnie soaks Carolinas over holiday weekend
- California high school graduate removed from ceremony for wearing African cloth
- Cleveland officials to outline security measures for Republican National Convention
- Lady Gaga Lays Down Her Latest Track At The Indy 500
- 'Outlander': Clive Russell On Playing Lord Lovat
- Sam Mendes Is Finished With James Bond
- 'Outlander' Season 2: Nell Hudson On Laoghaire MacKenzie's Return In 'The Fox's Lair'
- Loss, Accusations Mark A Turbulent Few Days For Johnny Depp
- Behati Prinsloo Pairs Her Baby Bump With Combat Boots!
- Amber Heard Claims Domestic Abuse Against Johnny Depp
- Amber Heard Accuses Johnny Depp of Domestic Violence
- DJ Calvin Harris Apologizes To Fans In First Tweet Since Car Crash
- NBC's "Red Nose Day Special" mixed comedy and musical performances with heartfelt pleas for children in need and raised over $30 million
- Johnny Depp Asks Court To Rule He Should Not Pay Spousal Support To Amber Heard
- Leona Lewis Will Lead The New Cast Of 'Cats' On Broadway
- Jessica Eye hasn't seen much evolution in Sara McMann's fight game
- Alexander Rossi wins the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500
- Grizzlies name David Fizdale as coach
- Chris Camozzi will play Superman to Vitor Miranda's Lex Luthor
- Top contenders involved in crash on pit road at Indy 500
- Lady Gaga lays down her latest track at Indy speedway
- Antetokounmpo brothers, Porzingis play streetball in Athens
- Tennis federation head: 'An awful lot of work' needed in Rio
- Everything you need to know about the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte
- Wood survives late wobble, wins BMW PGA Championship
- Matt DiBenedetto, BK Racing honor fallen Marine on Coca-Cola 600 car
- The Latest: All eyes on Indy 500 for 100th running of race