They were sleeping in the living room of their home on Trafton Road when the dog woke them as the home was filling with smoke.
It was around 1:00 a.m. Wednesday.
One of the homeowners attempted to extinguish the fire, but it was too large to do with a bucket of water.
They escaped and are now staying in a hotel.
Fire crews had to shuttle in water to fight the blaze and had it knocked down within a half hour.
Officials say the interior of the home has smoke damage and an exterior wall and roof have extensive fire damage.
Investigators are still unsure what sparked the fire in that exterior wall.
The home is insured.