The fire department was called to a house fire on Hewes Road around 2:30 a.m. Upon arriving the houses attic was fully engulfed.
The 25 below zero temperatures did not help the eight departments to put the flames out.
Levant fire captain Alan Merchant said "It was all about the weather. Everybody was cold. All the trucks froze. Even the first on scene, we had to bring back to the station about 4 o'clock this morning. It froze up."
The Levant Fire Department as well as Hermon Fire Department returned to the scene again around 3 p.m. when the fire flared up again. They spent close to an hour and half putting out the new flames.
There were no injuries and the Red Cross is helping the homeowner.
Authorities said the cause was a chimney fire that eventually spread to the rest of the house.